Turn on thread page Beta

Double/Triple science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how many people did triple science at GCSE, instead of double?

I didn't have a choise and I had to do double, I did really well (I apologise for this - im not trying to boast) but it seems to mean a lot less.

Did anybody do double and have any difficulties at A-level? I started Biology and Chemistry A-level and the 'triple' people seem know a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    I did Double Science GCSE and didn't really have trouble with A Level Physics.

ReputationRep:
    I did triple science GCSE but it didn't make much of a difference after the first term of AS level. I got A* in Chemistry, A in Physics and a *ahem* C in Biology, and i took Chemistry and Physics at both As and A2 level. Basically the seperate GCSE's just taught a few basic concepts of AS, which come up in the first term anyway, which is why you are finding other people know more. But in the end, most of the people that did double science ended up with higher grades at A-Level anyway (I got lazy and didn't work very hard). Don't worry about it, it'll even out in the end!!!

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE, I don't think unis show much preference over whether or not you do triple science instead of double - there seems to be a general consensus that double award science plus another subject which broadens your GCSE subjects is just as worthwhile as taking triple science.

I wasn't allowed to take the triple science option either, but if I had had the choice I think I would still have chosen double science + another subject. As for difficulties, I found the first term of ASs quite a big jump from GCSEs for biology but almost everyone does (for quite a few subjects) so it's 'normal' - I got a string of bad marks anyway (plus some snide comments like "oh dear! Have you revised?"), so I wouldn't worry about it From AS to A2, I haven't found it to be too much of a big jump, just quite a hefty workload !

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.