The Student Room Group

Meat vs Quorn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Brotherhood
How is it better than mince? The only mince it's better than is quorn mince.

EDIT: The quorn I'm looking at only has 14g, so it's not even as good as quorn mince.

Fair enough, the site I was looking at put mince at 11g which I thought was pretty suspicious
LiterallyInsane
:confused: :confused:

Because its a meat substitute for vegetarians. lol
Reply 22
It tastes nice... and is a good meat substitute... though I know plenty of people who have headaches from eating it (I myself don't feel too well when I eat it so haven't done so in a while now).

Really, the best meat replacement is tofu if you're after 'something' to replace it.

EDIT: Also, two other excellent meat substitutes are seitan and tempeh. Really great stuff!!
mipegg
Quorn 15g per 100g
Chicken breast 24 per 100g
Beef 22.5 per 100g
Lamb 20.5 per 100g
Pork 21.8 per 100g

So its not bad, better than mince at least!

Depends entirely on the quality (ie; minced steak is going to have a much better nutritional profile than mystery meat) and type of mince (ie; minced poultry is going to be lower in saturated fat and slightly higher in protein than red meat).

Revd. Mike
Not quite as much protein as meat, but not far off and with far, far less fat.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of fat, it is after all an essential requirement. Also if you chose decent cuts and cook your meat properly it is going to be very low in saturated fat anyway, probably on par with Quorn.
Reply 24
EDIT: Also, two other excellent meat substitutes are seitan and tempeh. Really great stuff!!

I've never had any of these two. What are they like? I'm not a big tofu fan, it sort of reminds me of sponge and i always end up over cooking it and then can't eat it ¬¬.
ch0c0h01ic
Depends entirely on the quality (ie; minced steak is going to have a much better nutritional profile than mystery meat) and type of mince (ie; minced poultry is going to be lower in saturated fat and slightly higher in protein than red meat).

There's nothing wrong with a bit of fat, it is after all an essential requirement. Also if you chose decent cuts and cook your meat properly it is going to be very low in saturated fat anyway, probably on par with Quorn.

I know it's essential, but if you're trying to cut calories and eat healthy then cutting down on the fat is always a good way to go. Even if you get lean meat it's still gonna be weighted towards the sat fat more than your healthier fats though.
Revd. Mike
I know it's essential, but if you're trying to cut calories and eat healthy then cutting down on the fat is always a good way to go.

The main problem on the calorie front for the majority of people is carbs not fat. They're relatively calorie dense, the popular highly refined kinds induce a high insulin response and they're tasty.

If you look at a lot of people's diets they're rich in carbs in the form of white bread, white pasta, rice, cakes, pastries, biscuits, sweets, fruit juices, fizzy drinks, etc. In most modern people's diets carbs make up the majority of their calorific intake, not fat.

At the other end of the spectrum they're probably deficient in a decent source of protein and fats.

Revd. Mike
Even if you get lean meat it's still gonna be weighted towards the sat fat more than your healthier fats though.

Even if lean meat does contain saturated fat we're still talking about a relatively small amount, far less than you'd find in a packet of crisps, in sausages, etc.

Also I would certainly argue that the benefits from the quality protein, the vitamins, the minerals, etc certainly outweigh a relatively small amount of saturated fat.

Yes, Quorn, tempeh, etc may contain less fat and more fibre, then again they contain less protein, less B-vitamins, less iron, more phyto-oestrogens, etc. All foods have their advantages and disadvantages.
Reply 27
i love quorn and im a meat eater. (chicken only really lol)
Reply 28
yesioo
I've never had any of these two. What are they like? I'm not a big tofu fan, it sort of reminds me of sponge and i always end up over cooking it and then can't eat it ¬¬.

They're both really nice and more realistic as meat substitutes, especially seitan since it has the same texture as meat. The issue with seitan is that it's wheat gluten, so obviously you can't have any if you're allergic to gluten, though in that case tempeh is the perfect substitute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seitan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

Personally I prefer the flavour/texture of Tempeh, though whichever you can get your hands on is good. Lima Foods make excellent seitan and tempeh; a lot of health stores can order Lima products in for you if they don't already stock it or your local supermarket doesn't.

Give it a try and let me know what you think! :smile:
Reply 29
Quorn's a good source of protein. Mushrooms, chickpeas, beans etc (just buy tinned, you don't need to soak them!) - all good sources too.
Nonsense. Cutting out fat will leave you hungry and far more prone to eating carbs junk that's definitely not essential. Eating more fat and a lot less carbs (particularly acellular carbs such as flour products) is the way to go! If you want your body to burn up the fat you've piled on the only effective way is to reduce insulin levels, which can only be done by reducing your sugar intake including "supposedly healthy" carbs like wholegrains.

Since this thread seem to be mostly frequented by veggies, coconut oil is your best bet for healthy vegetarian fat.
Reply 31
Original post by LiterallyInsane
Ive seen these Quorn but
are you allowed to eat them if your a vegetarian :s-smilie:?

All Quorn products are vegetarian, however, they're not suitable for vegans.
Reply 32
Original post by yesioo
I'm a novice at the whole healthy eating thing, well i eat vegtables, so I need some help with protein. Does quorn contain as much protein as meat?

Also, as I'm a vegetarian can I have more dairy ect?

Any veggy's who are into fitness please give me your advice :biggrin:

There are lots of vegetables including broccoli and spinach that are very high protein, so you don't necessarily have to look for a meat substitute. Personally, most of the protein I get is from soya milk. I recommend using that! :smile: x
Non-fermented soy products (such as soy milk) are a terrible thing for long term health, even the unsweetened, non-GMO versions. Yes, Far Eastern cultures have been using soybeans for thousands of years and that's why traditionally they only consume fermented soy products.

So I came back to edit this because this morning I was rushing and didn't really justify my accusation.

Soy contains phytoestrogens, these are plant based chemicals that mimic the hormone estrogen in your body. We're talking whopping doses! An infant on soy based formula gets the approximate equivalent of 4 birth control pills every day. Little wonder girls as young as 6 and 7 are starting their periods.

Soy is considered goitrogenic. Goitrogenic mean thyroid suppressing, many foods are goitrogenic but soy is king of them all. The process by which this happens begins with blocking iodine getting into your thyroid. Most of us could be considered iodine deficient by many doctors. There is a long list of problems associated with hypothyroidism, trust me you don't want to encourage them!

Soy contains Phytates. Phytic acid is an enzyme inhibitor, it chemically binds with minerals in your food preventing absorption. All grains, seeds and nuts contain phytates, this is why traditionally these foods were soaked overnight to reduce the phytate content. Soy is so high is phytates that soaking will not make a huge difference. Fermenting does and that's why cultures traditionally consuming soy only eat fermented.

Soy is very high in trypsin inhibitors. Trypsin a digestive enzyme that breaks down protein, without sufficient amounts protein goes undigested potentially causing immediate stomach problems (discomfort, cramps, bloating, diarrhoea, bleeding). And in the long term possibly burning out your pancreas.

As for healthy populations consuming soy for thousands of years, I'll reiterate, Chinese and Japanese consume approximately 2 teaspoons of soy daily (approx. 10g) and only of the fermented variety. In contrast 100g of protein from unfermented soy product is often encouraged for unsuspecting westerners looking for healthy alternatives.

Also Japanese and Chinese populations tend to have a lot more iodine rich foods (mainly from the sea) than us westerners do. For perspective on iodine uptake disruption, Japanese iodine intake is estimated between 13.5mg to 45mg daily. The upper safe limit set by the NHS is 0.5mg and they say an adult needs 0.14mg. So the average Japanese gets between (27 and 90 times more than UK's safe upper limit and between 96 and 321 times more than the RDA. Not from supplements mind you!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yesioo
I'm a novice at the whole healthy eating thing, well i eat vegtables, so I need some help with protein. Does quorn contain as much protein as meat?

Even though quorn is a good protein supplement , quorn is a very processed food . some types of quorn is made by feeding microorganisms with organic waste (e.g. vegetable peelings) who then produce a substance (basis of quorn). the substance is processed a lot , with a lot of artificial additives to make it into the quorn mince.
I'm not completely sure though, as it was only something learnt in biology lesson.
However you can get protein from more natural, less processed sources e.g. nuts and beans
I heard Quorn is very good to be fair but I prefer meat as you get more micro nutrients from it
The fact there is next to no information about it's nutritional content or what it contains is enough to put me off..there is much much more to meat than just protein, it can't be beaten just eat learner cuts/Turkey/fish
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Revd. Mike
Not quite as much protein as meat, but not far off and with far, far less fat. On the other hand of course, it is more expensive.

Also remember you can add to the protein with beans and eggs and dairy etc.

Quorn mince at the supermarket was cheaper than Beef mince. So why do people think (wrongly) that Quorn is expensive? Quorn is cheaper than meat. Also meat has a lot more cholestral than Quorn, so therefore Quorn is a healthier protein than meat. FACT.
The protein content shouldn't be compared on a per-gram basis, when the amino acid content of meat is of much higher quality than that of Quorn, which is derived from second class sources of protein.
Original post by yesioo

Hey I'm a veggie too quorn is lower in calories than meat so calorie for calorie it probably has just as much protein although I wouldn't get too bogged down with protein most people eat far more than they need anyway and your body can only absorb up to 20g per serving. I'd personally say quorn is healthier than meat as a lot of meat is filled with antibiotics , hormones and animal protein ( linked to cancer - check out dr Collin Campbell's work ) it's also lower in cholesterol, however I would suggest consuming it in combination with other plant protein such as lentils ( calorie for calorie as high in protein as beef ) and beans as these contain lots of vitamins and micronutrients.

Quick Reply

Latest