Turn on thread page Beta

Going for a run in the morning - What to eat beforehand? watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title states, I've started going for a run at around 6,7 in the morning but I don't get up that much earlier before I go for a run so any tips on what I should eat before I go out for a run cos I get really hungry and I feel that I could probably run further if I wasn't so hungry...
    I do about 4/5 miles each morning if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Depends on your goals.
    I just don't wanna feel so hungry and I feel a bit sick after the run...

ReputationRep:
    Muesli, honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I just don't wanna feel so hungry and I feel a bit sick after the run...
    Well if you're not specifically doing it for fat loss, eat a healthy, balanced breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    Have a good meal the night before.

And are you sure you are getting hungry while running? Since most of your blood is working on your muscles it's unlikely that you should feel hungry if you are working hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told if you excercise on an empty stomach you burn muscle instead of fat might be wrong though, I go for a run every morning and I eat a bowl of cereal or a banana wait an hour then go running.

ReputationRep:
    I just drink a glass of warm/hot milk because it's damn cold outside in the morning....

Not sure if it's bad or good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    ... if you excercise on an empty stomach you burn muscle instead of fat ...
    lolwut?

ReputationRep:
    Banana / dried apricots. Something light with loads of energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    lolwut?
    well I read it on the internet so theres a good chance it isn't true ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    well I read it on the internet so theres a good chance it isn't true ;P
    No, I don't think it's true, at all.

When you sleep, you start storing your fat for future uses and you start to reduce your blood sugar levels (energy for immediate use).

When you run on an empty stomach, I heard that you start to burn the fat store since you have low blood sugar levels. So, on the contrary, it's actually quite good to run on an empty stomach if you want to burn fat.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're not specifically doing it for fat loss, eat a healthy, balanced breakfast.
    What food would you eat for fat loss and how does it make a difference? Just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    What food would you eat for fat loss and how does it make a difference? Just wondering.
    Coffee facilitates a shift to burning more fat and less glycogen. Coffee kick starts your metabolism

As long as you're eating a proper diet, your energy stores should be filled. You should be doing Steady State Cardio to lose fat, which is less energy intensive. Limit it to 30 minutes and eat a healthy, balanced breakfast straight after. All of this together should be muscle sparing.

You could maybe have a protein shake with some BCAAs in, but I wouldn't recommend anything more.

If fat-loss isn't the goal and/or exercise is going to be moderate-intense HIIT, you shouldn't be running first thing in the morning ideally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    it's actually quite good to run on an empty stomach if you want to burn fat.
    *cough splutter*

If you run on an empty stomach your body will start using anything and everything to use for energy.
    including your muscle mass.

Eat something before you run!

ReputationRep:
    You should be doing Steady State Cardio to lose fat, which is less energy intensive

ReputationRep:
    Something like a banana or a single slice of toast, enough to keep you going but won't weigh you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    For fat loss training on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, SSC would be best. Are you denying that?

ReputationRep:
    But that isn't what you said. You said for fat loss, you should do SSC. In the morning on an empty stomach, it is probably best to do SSC as you won't have the energy for HIIT. But scientific studies have shown that HIIT is 9 times more effective at fat loss than SSC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    But that isn't what you said. You said for fat loss, you should do SSC. In the morning on an empty stomach, it is probably best to do SSC as you won't have the energy for HIIT. But scientific studies have shown that HIIT is 9 times more effective at fat loss than SSC.
    He's talking about running in the morning. I said he should be doing SSC on an empty stomach first thing as that would be best for fat loss. I'm not denying HIIT's better for overall fat loss, but in the morning on an empty stomach (the parameters I specified) HIIT would not be best. Stop being pedantic.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.