The Student Room Group

Is a 2.1 considered good anymore?

I was looking through the final year noticeboard at uni and what struck me was the number of students who got a 2.1. There were a few 2.2 and 3rd class degrees but quite a few got a 2.1.

This is across the majority of universities across the country. So, is a 2.1 still considered the benchmark and is it a good grade to get?

Scroll to see replies

Stephen Fry got that so I imagine so. :cool:
Reply 2
Well it's still considered good. Most Post-grad courses want a 2.1 entry requirement, employers see that it's a great achievement and you can't really get a 2.1 by fannying around in fancy dress for three years. I'm curious to what university you go to, though. There's a website (think it's called unistats or something) which will give you a pie chart of what each graduate (and in the course) gets
Reply 3
everyone gets a 2:1 these days so it definitely wouldn't stand out...i guess it's good enough though.
Reply 4
Probably not on here given that everyone gets As.

At first I only thought this is where the greatest minds in the world came to congregate, then I had a look at the thread titles and it confirmed it to me.
Reply 5
yes
Reply 6
ArcadiaHouse
Stephen Fry got that so I imagine so. :cool:

Oh it must be good then if he got one, didn't he go to an Oxbridge Uni BTW?

Like Jimmy Carr LOLOLOL

And yeah, 2:1 is good, if I was offered a 2:1 before I start my degree, I'd snatch their hand off
Reply 7
It isn't bad, but considering the current economic climate and the forecasts for the next few years or so, you'd make a better chances for yourself by getting a higher degree and standing out from the graduate crowd...
Well a 2.i certainly puts you in a position for post graduate, and it is certainly reputable when potential employers are checking out your credentials. Still, obviously it's better to have a first to get ahead of all of those who gain a 2.i.
Reply 9
I've just graduated from UCLan with a 2:1. Based on last year's statistics, 56% of those on my course should have got the same, with 39% getting a 2:2. 3% got a 3rd and 3% a 1st.
Of course, that's only the statistic for those who finished the course.
zKlown
Oh it must be good then if he got one, didn't he go to an Oxbridge Uni BTW?

Like Jimmy Carr LOLOLOL

And yeah, 2:1 is good, if I was offered a 2:1 before I start my degree, I'd snatch their hand off

Yeah, Cambridge. :eek: I was surprised when I heard Jimmy Carr went there, the tradition of producing talented comedians like John Cleese, Tony Slattery, Hugh Laurie etc must have by-passed him. :rolleyes:
It's considered the benchmark. It's generally seen as the "You've worked hard but you're not uber special" grade.
Reply 12
ArcadiaHouse
Yeah, Cambridge. :eek: I was surprised when I heard Jimmy Carr went there, the tradition of producing talented comedians like John Cleese, Tony Slattery, Hugh Laurie etc must have by-passed him. :rolleyes:

You can tell Jimmy Carr is a pretty smart guy anyway, from a middle class background
Reply 13
It is good, but its seen as a benchmark.

Eg. My dad does interviews at his new company and he did them at his old one (both oil companies hiring graduated engineers) and they don't consider anyway without a 2:1
You have to remember the standard that it takes to get onto your course and the number of people who drop out along the way. Of course the majority get a 2:1, but I feel uni isn't so much of how well you do along the way, it's the fact you do do it and what you learn along the way, and a 2:1 tells you that you did it to a good standard.

Having a good extra curric puts you beyond the others though I would highly recommend concentrating doing this during your degree.
Reply 15
ArcadiaHouse

Did Patrick McGuinness go to Oxbridge?
Banquo
Did Patrick McGuinness go to Oxbridge?

My point was that Cambridge has a history of producing talented comedians, and Jimmy Carr is a painfully unfunny comedian, not that only Oxbridge graduates make good comedians.
Reply 17
2i is a very good grade, the universities have suffered far less grade inflation than the GCSE and GCE qualificaitons.
TBH within a 2.i the actual % is quite important. A 2.i is a fairly common grade to achieve, so the difference between say 61% and 68% is fairly important when quoting your academia.

Having said that, just because a lot of people get 2.is doesn't mean it's not a brilliant achievement - you've got to be fairly intelligent to get that sort of mark! :smile:
Reply 19
ArcadiaHouse
My point was that Cambridge has a history of producing talented comedians, and Jimmy Carr is a painfully unfunny comedian, not that only Oxbridge graduates make good comedians.

No, I know. I was being sarcastic.

Believe it or not, Paddy McGuinness is worse than Alan Carr's brother, Jimmy. And that's saying something.