Do newspapers have the right to publish what they want? Watch

junglegirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
or does it have to be true? and what if it's a breach of privacy....
DCalfine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...r-cool-ad.html

Obviously so. Even if it is a load of rubbish. End of...
junglegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by DCalfine)
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...r-cool-ad.html

Obviously so. Even if it is a load of rubbish. End of...
:rofl:
Fawn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You really think if they could make up rubbish we would have such boring news stories?
junglegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fawn)
You really think if they could make up rubbish we would have such boring news stories?
I mean if some woman came forward to a newspaper saying she'd been having an affair with obama, and without any proof could the newspaper publish it and claim it to be true?
EGjeff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ The reporter is putting his / the papers neck on the line with something like that so he atleast has to have some sort of evidence it could be true.

Technically they could print it anything they want, but without any proof it would be highly foolish of them to do so and they would face the repercussions...

If it goes to court the law assumes the words printed by the paper are false, its up to the paper to prove otherwise.

Have a look into Libel Law if you wanna read more into it;
http://www.aubi06.dsl.pipex.com/law/libelcheck.shtml
Last edited by EGjeff; 9 years ago
nouvelle_vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by junglegirl)
I mean if some woman came forward to a newspaper saying she'd been having an affair with obama, and without any proof could the newspaper publish it and claim it to be true?
What are you going to do!? :eek:

Generally there has to be some evidence or proof in order to be a viable article. Although clearly, in some cases a lot of hearsay / total bull crap can be used to make news too
Tink12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
to a certain extent, but not EVERYTHING, simply because they'd get their asses sued.
Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.

They frequently do though and get sued a lot. Do you never notice the little apologies they make in the paper?

A noticable incident of papers publishing something they shouldn't is when the Daily Mail named those who they believed responsible for the death of Stephen Lawrence and dared them to sue.
MewMachine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by junglegirl)
Well in theory yes, but they could quite easily be sued for defamation (sic?). As newspapers are privately owned, I believe they have the right to be biased as they wish, but to not publish lies.
Robbbb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Newspapers should be allowed to publish what they want if the information they write is public. The ethics of this is a whole different story
Danny_777
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
HELL no. The disclosure of private information is protected by the ECHR and Article 6 (right to a private life) and enforced horizontally via a very strained common law version of the action for breach of confidence, which has essentially become a privacy tort.

See Campbell v MGN, Peck v UK, etc.
Danny_777
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robbbb)
Newspapers should be allowed to publish what they want if the information they write is public. The ethics of this is a whole different story
If the information is already in the 'public domain', they are - it is no longer private and cannot be protected by privacy/breach of confidence law.
lewis132
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's stories of reporters getting "acciedently" shot at if they don't stick with the soldiers when reporting in Iraq and instead go and try to take unauthorised imageswhich don't show the soldiers in a great light.

Vietnam was the only uncensored war. This current one is heavily covered up.
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
of course they dont have the right to publish whatever they want.

the public media can (and have) ruined the lives of people by making false accusations. public media is an extremely influencial and powerful tool, and no-one has the right to go around making up **** willy nilly.

all they have to do is make some accusations, and people WILL believe it. it doesn't matter if they then get sued, or retract the statements, some (if not most) people won't be made aware of the fact it wasn't true.
Surfers_Paradise*09*
Report 9 years ago
Certainly not, its called Media Law

However, if they do publish something that has truth in it, then they can use the defence - Absolute Privilege

Again, Fair Comment is something that journalists need to make sure they cover so they are not libellous.
Paxdax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Within the bounds of the law (ie it can't be slander), yes.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (633)
91.08%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.92%

Watched Threads