Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Just finished watching 'Black Hawk Down' on sky today. I know its only a film, based on true events, and sexed up by Hollywood. However I couldn't help feeling slighlty p*ssed off with the Somalians, for shooting up all the Americans. When the film ended, I returned to normal. Does anybody else feel anything remotely similiar? I have also watched 'Saving Private Ryan', and felt very similiar towards the Germans. Please dont accuse me of being racist, as I hold no ill feelings towards any race. Is it just a case of Hollywood turning something into something else? Just a thought for discussion.
    Yes, but you have to view how wars are seen within the context of societies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Firstly, they don't shoot kids.
    Well, kids do get shot. Whether you think there is an important distinction there is a matter of personal opinion.

Secondly i'd like to see how you enjoyed people catapulting rocks at you, they can do serious damage.
    Well, yes. But trespassers do run such a risk. They have no right to be in Palestinian territory in the first place.

I just commented that the comment that Juwel hated all israelites was very unfair.
    I agree, FWIW.

ReputationRep:
    It all comes down to lack of information and manipulation of pictures. As i said before, i don't admit to knowing the full story behind every killing of a child or a peace protester, but how many here can say they do?

I'm just saying not everything is black and white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

I'm just saying not everything is black and white.
    No you're not. You're effectively saying that people who throw rocks, deserve to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    As i said before, i don't admit to knowing the full story behind every killing of a child or a peace protester, but how many here can say they do?
    Well, I can give a pretty full account of Rachel Corey's death FWIW, from eye witnesses...

I take your point, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    No you're not. You're effectively saying that people who throw rocks, deserve to die.
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Secondly i'd like to see how you enjoyed people catapulting rocks at you, they can do serious damage.

ReputationRep:
    And they do, i never said shoot them though did i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    We only ever see half the picture, and on the BBC we only see the half that happens to show a kid being shot. What we don't see is this kid throwing rocks at jewish people, or a gunman sitting on the corner of the street or someone firing mortars.

You have to see the bigger picture.
    There's your inference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    And they do, i never said shoot them though did i?
    Obviously no-one would outright claim that, hence you implied that it would be understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    saw blackhawk down, what a stupid film, u watch it and its like my god the americans got slaughtered how terrible. in the credits its something pathetic like 14 killed and over 1000 somalians!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they're americans, their lives are worth more than that of a third world person :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Yes, but they're americans, their lives are worth more than that of a third world person :rolleyes:
    Makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished watching 'Black Hawk Down' on sky today. I know its only a film, based on true events, and sexed up by Hollywood. However I couldn't help feeling slighlty p*ssed off with the Somalians, for shooting up all the Americans. When the film ended, I returned to normal. Does anybody else feel anything remotely similiar? I have also watched 'Saving Private Ryan', and felt very similiar towards the Germans. Please dont accuse me of being racist, as I hold no ill feelings towards any race. Is it just a case of Hollywood turning something into something else? Just a thought for discussion.
    i just think "dumb ass americans, serves you right for taking you bullet proof plate out of your pack"

i hate the portrayal of the somalians, they're not treated as people in the film at all, they are literaly just cannon fodder. same with the germans in a lot of ww2 films,

ReputationRep:
    Germans?? lol, what are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Germans?? lol, what are you talking about?
    ww2 films, portrayed as just cannon fodder, can u honestly say u've seen a film that shows the war from a german perspective?

ReputationRep:
    Well they did start it, so how were they hard done by??

I have no sympathy for them at all.

ReputationRep:
    What a coincidence! I didn't see this before I registered hionest. Why do you think hollywood is turning something into something else? That is what happened, the Somalians did shoot up all the Americans! They were brutal savages (I am not racist but they were)

And with regard to saving private ryan are you refering to the Omaha scene? Because that is pretty much what actually happened. The Germans did savagely gun down the Americans during the Omaha beach landings from fortified machine gun turrets.

You're right though Hollywood does twist or even ignore the facts for alot of films (eg, Baveheart, U-571) but the two you have mentioned are pretty much 'factually intact'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    yep..thats the attitude id like to see from our police force instead of these ridiculous asbo's which the louts just break anyway.
    and there was me thinking you were a libertarian.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.