Turn on thread page Beta

just burnt finger.. watch

ReputationRep:
    about an hour ago. picked up a knife that was near the oven and must have caught the flame, didnt realise, picked it up and the plastic off the handle melted on to my hand which had to be scrubbed off - very painful.
    i've had it wrapped in ice since but now my whole finger has blistered and when i take the ice away it really burns.
    does anyone know what i can do to soothe this becase i cant keep it wrapped in ice all night :p:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    BONJELAAAA

sleep next to the fridge, and put your burnt hand in the fridge

ReputationRep:
    1.Immerse the burn in cool or cold water. Ideally, you should hold the burned area under cold running water for about five minutes (or till the pain goes away). Do not put ice on the burn, as this can cause further damage to the skin.
    2. Protect the wound with sterile bandage. Do not apply the bandage tightly over the wound, as this will irritate the skin.
    3. Take an analgesic (pain reliever). Any of the common over-the-counter pain relievers will work.
    4. Look out for signs of infection. Infection is uncommon with burns of this type, but is possible if blisters pop and are exposed to dirt.
    Found this in the 'Treatment of minor burns' section. http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Burn

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Calpol is the solution to everything.
    A few sips and the taste will be so good youll forget about the burns.

ReputationRep:
    Whiskey, savlon, bandage.

ReputationRep:
    Acriflex - burn cream thats sold in the shops. Provides a layer to cool your skin.

Also, the A&E might be a good place, you might have gone a bit far down when scrubbing the plastic off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie-cakes)
    Found this in the 'Treatment of minor burns' section. http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Burn

Hope it helps!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    this is probs a bit late now but:

keep in cold water for a long time (20 mins) at least. DONT pick at blisters when they eventually form. keep clean. avoid using that finger.
    The following also worked for me, dunk in moisterising cream, eg vaseline, frequently.

ps re plasters, if applying, beware beware!! of apoplying sticky part anywhere close to burn, it will provide incredible pain when removing. if you want to cover, take some cotton wool, rap round area, then put one bit of sellotape fairly loosely around the cotton wool.

next, goto pharmacy, and ask for "h gel" or other burns cream/gel, whcih if you apply within one minute of getting burnt, greatly reduces damage to skin, and prevents burn effects in deeper tissue.

hope this helps

dont forget rep, i need it

ReputationRep:
    Apparently egg yolk is helpful in soothing it.
    Feel free to laugh :p: but when I burnt my finger I googled everywhere for remedies for burns and this one was really popular.
    I personally didn't notice it doing anything but it genuinely seemed to help some people so maybe give that a go.
    I found the only thing that really worked for me was sitting with my finger in a glass of cold water (and re-filling the glass with colder water when the old stuff had started to warm up).
    Also, if you have any aloe vera on hand, that soothes sunburn so is likely to have a similar effect on other burns.
    When I burnt my finger quite badly I couldn't even sleep because it was so painful ( sounds OTT but it was agony - spilt fuming porridge on my hand and the finger that burnt badly was because it was the last I managed to rinse) - I had to sleep with my finger in a glass of water for the whole night. :p: (not recommended though as some people apparently wet the bed haha - luckily I didn't).
    But in my experience the pain should at least be gone by tomorrow morning when you'll actually be able to go and get something from the shops to sort it.
    Nip into a shop with a pharmacy and ask what they'd recommend.

ReputationRep:
    it might be too late to use it now but for future knowledge aloe vera plants are amazing at healing burns. my mum was given one as a present and was told about how good it was for burns and then i spilled a mug of freshly boiled water on my legs. i was nine years old and wearing shorts ergo i screamed and she got the plant in a panic hoping it would do something. it soothed my legs instantly. i had absolutely no scarring either. your burn sounds worse but i'm sure it still would have helped. maybe it'll even help now. can't praise that plant enough.

ReputationRep:
    oh i forgot to mention how you apply the aloe vera! basically you break a leaf/stalk and smear the gel that's usually oozing out of it all over your burn.

ReputationRep:
    omg serious? you should go to the hospital it could be fatal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.