Turn on thread page Beta

why am i gaining weight watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started going to the gym to lose a bit of weight for the summer. I'm not overweight but i'm not slim like i'd like to be. However, since going, I've gained half a stone. :[ which i assume/hope is muscle not fat, as I haven't gained inches. I dont want to bulk up though, i want to get skinny. I'm not doing overly strenuous weights either, just the second lightest one. Any tips on actually slimming down....obviously more cardio/eating less, but anything else?

ReputationRep:
    You're not bulking up, you're just replacing fat with muscle. Don't worry, it's a good thing, just keep doing. When did you start going?

ReputationRep:
    muscle weighs more than fat
    dont weigh yourself just see change in your body

ReputationRep:
    Interval training + Diet = Win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PolPearl)
    I've recently started going to the gym to lose a bit of weight for the summer. I'm not overweight but i'm not slim like i'd like to be. However, since going, I've gained half a stone. :[ which i assume/hope is muscle not fat, as I haven't gained inches. I dont want to bulk up though, i want to get skinny. I'm not doing overly strenuous weights either, just the second lightest one. Any tips on actually slimming down....obviously more cardio/eating less, but anything else?
    neg rep FTW...

ReputationRep:
    Stop eating crap

ReputationRep:
    Well, your diet plays a big role just as much as excersise in weight loss. so you need to make sure you have a suffient diet plan. and for god sake don't do what every girl does and starves themself only to see they can lose half a stone in a week until they start eating again and realise that because they havn't been eating, their metabolic rate is at an all time lo. so that any food eaten will be stored because the body isn't getting the nutrients, calories intake that it should be.

But i am not pre judging you, so we will go with the asumption that your diet is fine, plenty of greens, alchohol to a min, and just generally healthy eating which i want rant on about because i could literally go off on one.

On your training side, im sure your doing fine, if weight loss is your main goal, then just keep up with the cardio, plenty of treadmill, corss trainer, bike, it doesn't really matter, just mix it up. And on the weights, don't worry about bulking up. Woman don't make enough testosterone to get big muscles, hence why you see woman bodybuilders, they use gear to help put more syncthetic test into there body.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    get out of the gym and go for a jog/run instead.
    But preferably do as much of both as possible.
    It will take long time if you are trying to slim down by doing freeweights!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tips folks.

In reply to WhitePearlBaby, I've been going for just over a month, probs averaging about 4 times a week :]

My diets not bad, healthy meals, its all the snacking between meals, and particularly at night. So if I cut the snacking out, hopefully i'll start to lose some weight...or fat at least.

I generally have a pretty big appetite, and a fast metabolism i reckon, because considering what I eat, I'm not the size I should be. I don't want to reduce the amount i eat too much, because then, like you say manhuntworld, i'll end up slowing my metabolism.

Oh and MissMeem, your super helpful ;] and extremely witty I must say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    You're not bulking up, you're just replacing fat with muscle. Don't worry, it's a good thing, just keep doing. When did you start going?
    She hasn't gained half a stone of muscle "recently". No way.

ReputationRep:
    its been over a month ?

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to lose weight too but I have stayed at the same weight but my clothes fit a lot better =/ I have taken up spinning and it feels like I am building muscle in my legs but I am not losing weight =/

ReputationRep:
    Well what do you look like?

Have you taken before/after pictures to compare?

That does sound strange.. what sort of food are you eating?
    edit: ah yeah, it's the snacking. You need to cut down on the snacks and make sure that the snacks you do have are healthy and a reasonable portion for a snack - i.e. don't have three mars bars.

ReputationRep:
    its been over a month ?
    Still, losing fat and putting on over 3 kg of muscle naturally, in no more than 6 weeks isn't easy. Especially since you're not doing strenuous weights. More likely you need to get your diet in check and exercise better, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way a girl using the second lightest weights there are (I'm presuming 2KG) has put on half a stone of muscle in just over a month.

OP, what time of the day are you weighing yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the extra weight is muscle alone, it's such a short time. Your probably eating above your calorific needs due to your energy expenditure during the gym sessions.

ReputationRep:
    You eat too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazcobain)
    OP, what time of the day are you weighing yourself?
    The evenings, I use the scales at the gym.

(Original post by JimmyH)
    You eat too much.
    I ate the same before I started going to the gym and I wasn't gaining weight.

ReputationRep:
    The evenings, I use the scales at the gym.
    Weigh in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Weigh in the morning.
    Going by weight has its uses limited but agrred with the quote. If your going to weigh yourself do it in the morning before you eat/drink anything. That way it'll be a more accurate depiction of what your bodys actually got in it rather than how long since you last ate

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.