The Student Room Group

Have you ever been called ugly?

Scroll to see replies

Satan's Whiskers
Hell to the yes.

I'd smash
Yess
I've never been called ugly :smile:
I've never been called ugly. Probably because I minimize my contact with miserable people as much as possible.
By my brother, all the time.
He also likes calling me a frog (because I have big eyes apparently). But I don't take it too personally, he just likes to wind me up!
Maximum Velocity
Well you're god damn gorgeous now :wink: , so the past doesn't mattah :smile:

Aww thank you :smile:
Same goes to you! :biggrin:
Reply 366
hermy
I never been called ugly....but FAT a few times to my face...that hurts. Also in Asia they say it to your face in a way that is normal...or that you are chubby and should lose weight....

Its like that in turkey people just coment on how you look and its normal, people would always say to me and my friends 'you look like pluked chickens' because we were so white. And to two of my friends who have the same name one guys said, o so ill call you big *** and you small *** lol. We were just like er... thanks?
I was treated like **** at school by quite a lot of people.

Now they add me on social networking sites and they're all fat mothers and stuff and I'm awesome.

If I cared it'd probably be quite a pleasant sensation.
Wanderlust
I was treated like **** at school by quite a lot of people.

Now they add me on social networking sites and they're all fat mothers and stuff and I'm awesome.

If I cared it'd probably be quite a pleasant sensation.

That made me laugh so much.
Reply 369
Yes; and yes it has definitely affected my self-esteem, especially as people rarely say anything good about my appearance either. I know people who call others ugly are idiots (and hardly good-looking themselves), but it's hard to try and ignore their thoughtless comments.
Pretty often. I've been told by strangers too. 'Butterface' was my favourite.
I think it's pretty rude tbh, what business is my face to them. I wasn't put on this planet solely for their approval.
Reply 371
Peachykeen09
Yes I've been called that all the time.
Even by random strangers I don't even know.
It hurts..a lot. I had to go to counseling because of it..:frown:

If it was by women, they're probably jealous.
If you're saying it was by men well....I don't believe you.
*glitter*
Yes; and yes it has definitely affected my self-esteem, especially as people rarely say anything good about my appearance either. I know people who call others ugly are idiots (and hardly good-looking themselves), but it's hard to try and ignore their thoughtless comments.

If you are considered an uggo, this world is on a downwards spiral. Chin up, back straight and forget the others.
Yes, and as I'm not the biggest pussy in the world, I didnt care
Reply 374
malleablegrace
I have been called ugly by lots of people throughout my whole life, including my family and past supposed 'friends'. I've had things shouted across the classroom about being ugly. I've had people sitting behind me going "wouldn't actually do her if I was desperate" or "ugly bitch". When I was 13/14 I suffered with relatively bad acne and hadn't found the right shade of concealer because I'm so pale. So I got called a 'spotty orange minger' on a daily basis which has never left me. Even though I have 'perfect' skin now, I just can't see past that image I got labelled with. The popular girls would sit there and laugh at me. The more they chipped away at my confidence the easier I became as a target.
I have such low self esteem because of the amount of insults I've had. I act confident but in reality I'm never going to like the way I look because insults have shaped me.
Isn't it funny how compliments go in one ear and out the other a lot of the time and insults are the things that stick?
It's funny though, my best friend pretty much dealt with the same thing and she is absolutely stunning.
All this has made me realise that, as cheesy as it sounds, these people could call me ugly as many times as they wanted but I knew they would never be nice people.
Also, having the perception that I was 'ugly' made me gravitate towards being friends with fellow 'ugly' people, and I ended up with some of the best friends imaginable.
My point being don't judge a book by its cover, etc. :smile:

People called you ugly?! What planet are they from???? Many picutres I see are of women that are pretty decent. I would like to see the faces that called you 'ugly'.
yamcha
If it was by women, they're probably jealous.
If you're saying it was by men well....I don't believe you.

I never really had a problem with the girls but they're more likely to talk about behind you're back. Throughout my whole life, I've been insulted and made fun of by the guys. It's really hurt my self-image. Like I remember one time I was on the bus and this one guy(who I don't even know) came up to me and said I was ugly and that my face was messed up. :s-smilie: That's just one of the many incidents.
Reply 376
I've been called ugly a few times, people have said my eyes are too big etc, this was mainly around the age of 11-12 though... ahh well some people are horrible :-)
Reply 377
It was by some neighbours at campus accommodation. It wasn't to my face, I overheard them laugh about it, all female.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yep just now in the street, by boys in a car, then a middle aged couple looked at me an agreed. I wanted to throw my hot coffee in their face. Literally started to take off the lid before reality kicked in.

Being a girl it's kinda bad, I always get friends and family telling me how I should lose weight, or do things to improve the way I look such as "stop smiling, you don't have a pretty smile." It hurts when it comes from people close to you, who literally have your best interests at heart :') People will always look at one of my friends or sister besides me and say they are so beautiful, but ignore me, best I can ever hope for is a backhanded compliment. But it's strange, because at the end of the day when I look in the mirror, I can't help but see someone really gorgeous :smile: Maybe I need new glasses but I don't see what they see and it makes me happy :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I am interested in the responses to this as I have been called 'ugly' a few times in my life and obviously it affected me. On two occasions it was by strangers in the street. Once a boy stopped me and said 'excuse me' and when I turned around he just said 'You're ugly' :rolleyes:

So it affected my self esteem and when I got to college and a few guys asked me out I was amazed. My confidence had gotten so low that I didn't think it possible that anyone would like me. Things are very different now.

Have you ever been called ugly and did it affect your self esteem?

Also I'd like to hear from anyone who's never been called ugly or who have ever called someone else ugly (to their face) ...

Lol, people actually do this? That's mental

Tbh, it was probably his idea of "banter".

Do you actually think you are ugly?

And in answer to your question, no I haven't.

Quick Reply

Latest