Turn on thread page Beta

Wannabe student desperately seeking advice.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, as the title says, i'm desperately seeking some advice here...

I'm presently working full-time, doing something which requires barely any skill whatsoever. I'd probably have to wait 2-3 years to progress...so it's basically dead-end. Fact is, I left school at 14, no GCSE's and the only qualification I have to my name is a F****** NVQ 2 in Administration . I've only ever done tedious, menial jobs which require no skill or quals. And as if that wasn't bad enough, i'm 23 and still live with my mum in a crappy flat, single and have friends who never have money so rarely do I get the chance to go out and have any fun. I've considered leaving soon to study (once i've drained as much from this company as possible - money, take advantage of their travel benefits etc.) I'd like to study music technology/production and get a job as a sound engineer then step up to mastering. Ideally become a top music producer (drum n bass specifically). I appreciate how desperate all of this seems...I just thought this might be a good oppurtunity to gain advice from anyone who may have been in a similar situation. So my questions are 1) What would I need to get into uni? 2)Should I go to college first and gain a qualification which would get me into uni?! 3)Leave the crappy job I have now, get a new one then study? 4)Do many students work full time and study?. Probably a few more questions...but I have to sleep...wake up...and go to work!

Thank you for any advice you can offer

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do would be find an Access course at a local college. 1 year long, no final exams, constant assessment and Universities accept them as basically the equivalent of A-Levels.
    The other option would be to find a university that offers the course you want with a foundation year included in it.

ReputationRep:
    You might not believe it but it is possible to bounce back. I think that you should consider going back to college and trying to get some GCSEs, as I don't think unis will accept anybody without at least 5 A-Cs. There are some unis that offer foundation courses which act as a stepping stone to the course you wanna do-though usually they ask for GCSEs even if they are below a C grade. Another thing you consider is going to night school for GCSEs. You might have to pay, so maybe keep your job for a bit.

Once you have your GCSEs most colleges will accept you. You could do a vocational qualification in music or something. My college has loads of different music courses so there's bound to be something that takes your fancy. I think there might be an access to higher education course in music at mine but not 100% sure. If you get accepted onto one of those then you can usually get a level 3 qualification within a year. Level 3 is equivalent to A level, so it's not for thick people (as many annoyingly like to think). I'm doing a level 3 btec and it is a lot of hard work.

Whatever route you decide to take, as long as you have the ambition and drive to succeed, then you will do what it takes...even if it means having to stick at a job you hate while you go to college. My mate is resitting her maths and english GCSEs for the 3rd time this year, and she hates it, but she has to do it so that she can go to uni. I'm sure you can do the same if you want it enough good luck

ReputationRep:
    Access course at college is your only option for uni... you get 3 subjects to do for a year, evening and day time courses are available at some colleges...

ReputationRep:
    Choose a job, choose life.

ReputationRep:
    similar to me. i was a 18year old in a dead end job with **** qualifications. went to my local college, picked up some A levels and now im off to med school

advice - save as much as you can. work hard at college. and do it. good luck with music production though.... not a very stable career choice might have trouble with that one. also contact the uni's you want to apply to for music and find out what access course would be accepted and if they also need gcses. a simple e-mail send to all of the admissions offices will clear everything up for you

ReputationRep:
    Look into doing a Foundation Degree:

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/cours.../7679/loc.html

ReputationRep:
    Look for a few unis you're interested in. Once you've found a few see if they do foundation years. See if you can speak to someone there. Find out the entrance requirements, then go to college and pick up the relevant qualifications. Good luck.
    once i've drained as much from this company as possible - money, take advantage of their travel benefits etc
    Do you work for parliament?

ReputationRep:
    Do an Access course, but I think you might need GCSE's to do a good access course - don't quote me on that though.

ReputationRep:
    I found this:
    http://www.campus.manchester.ac.uk/s...ound-criteria/
    it might be useful and show you what a typical access course requires?

ReputationRep:
    I did a Media Production Access course up here in Sheffield. I was 24 and in the same position as you. I had no qualifications and the only job I had ever done was working as a bouncer in clubs.

I did my Access course over the period of a year, doing the Access course gave me the opportunity to do an English GCSE equivalent along side.

I graduated Sheffield Hallam this year with a First in Film and Media Production.

It will be hard work but it is very much worth it.

Rich

ReputationRep:
    Many, many thanks to each and every one of you. Didn't expect such an array of useful replies! I guess my best bet would be to stick with the job (as much as I dislike it) and get some GCSE's, do an access course then head off to uni. My only concern is whether or not i'll be able to find a job in the music industry once i've finished uni! Thanks again all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    similar to me. i was a 18year old in a dead end job with **** qualifications. went to my local college, picked up some A levels and now im off to med school

advice - save as much as you can. work hard at college. and do it. good luck with music production though.... not a very stable career choice might have trouble with that one. also contact the uni's you want to apply to for music and find out what access course would be accepted and if they also need gcses. a simple e-mail send to all of the admissions offices will clear everything up for you
    Much obliged. Always good to have advice from someone who's been in a similiar situation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    Look for a few unis you're interested in. Once you've found a few see if they do foundation years. See if you can speak to someone there. Find out the entrance requirements, then go to college and pick up the relevant qualifications. Good luck.

Do you work for parliament?
    Nope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Access course at college is your only option for uni... you get 3 subjects to do for a year, evening and day time courses are available at some colleges...
    It's not their only option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    It's not their only option.
    Actually, that's true, but it's the quickest way to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeDudeInLondon)
    Many, many thanks to each and every one of you. Didn't expect such an array of useful replies! I guess my best bet would be to stick with the job (as much as I dislike it) and get some GCSE's, do an access course then head off to uni. My only concern is whether or not i'll be able to find a job in the music industry once i've finished uni! Thanks again all
    Just so you know mate you don't actually need GCSEs for an access course, you can just do one straight away. Most colleges will give you their own assessment just to see where you are, nothing too challenging, but you don't need any qualifications.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.