Turn on thread page Beta

Do you WANT to be single? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just a random pondering question up for discussion! So, the single TSRians (I suppose all the loved up ones can join in too), what are your thoughts on being single? Is it a case of you're waiting for the right person to come along but content enough without? Are you actively looking for someone? Fed up being single? Or just enjoying single life? But, more so, is being single for anyone a complete choice, they would actively avoid/dislike relationships?

Reason I ask (well, reason I was thinking about this) is because I'm recently single (I ended it), because I HATE being in relationships. My (now ex-) boyfriend knew this before we started going out, we were like unofficially seeing each other really for quite a while, before I actually decided to stop completely avoiding commitment. But for a year previous to that, I had actively avoided having a boyfriend, despite there being a few guys I was seeing (not at once, but one of them was an unofficial thing for like 4 months) and people I liked. Just decided to take the plunge with recent boyf, was okay while it lasted, knew it wouldn't last long. Most girls (and guys!) my age seem to want the whole swept off their feet romance thing, would love someone special in their life etc. etc. Does this just not appeal to anyone else? It's probably partly because I'm young (also had a really really terrible relationship once, if it could even be called that, which means I have trust issues, probably a bit "damaged goods" tbh, and I don't deny that perhaps that influences my decision). I'm not saying I'll be single forever, but for now, I just WANT to be!

(HOW did this post end up ramble-y and long? I seriously need to get a grip of that!)

ReputationRep:
    Wow you get up early.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

And yes the post did end all ramble-y

ReputationRep:
    But srsly, I've been single for around 18 months, not actively seeking anyone, but if anything happens then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    nope i hate being single, its horrible

and i've had one of the worst imagineable relationships in the past, which kinda threw me for a couple of years. but yeh i love being in relationships, it just feels so much more right

ReputationRep:
    im pretty much the opposite of you, i hate not being in a relationship
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As soon as anyone enters a relationship they become far more boring and far less interesting people generally. Humans just spend their lives getting shunted down the have a partner, have children, provide for children, get old, get ill, die pathway without anything in between. That's sad, and the longer i can postpone that the better (although i'm not going to pretend instinct will not get the better of me eventually).

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    I'm single, have been for a while. I choose to be that way an actively avoid getting into situations which could lead to a relationship. Why?

Few reasons really, need to focus on my own activities for a while, partly waiting to find the person, I guess I'm just fed up with the game.

Lonely at times, but you can't be 100% happy all the time right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Crumbly)
    Wow you get up early.
    I've been awake since half 5, couldn't get back to sleep, got up at quarter past 7 to make hangover supernoodles. Best thing everrr! Especially on sandwiches, I've got no bread but. Random pointless story! But yeah, try it.

(Original post by nexttime)
    As soon as anyone enters a relationship they become far more boring and far less interesting people generally. Humans just spend their lives getting shunted down the have a partner, have children, provide for children, get old, get ill, die pathway without anything in between. That's sad, and the longer i can postpone that the better (although i'm not going to pretend instinct will not get the better of me eventually).
    Haha I agree with this! I also don't understand the people who spend every waking moment with their "other half". Especially when they're young. There is more to life!

Not really surprised by the number of people saying they hate being single. Why though? What's so bad about it? :P

Some of us don't have much choice

Even if I really had a choice in the matter, I rather like being single. No obligations, no restrictions, no limits, no concerns... It's nice.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who don't like being in relationships. Sometimes I don't understand them. I love being single at times. It can be fun when you're out with the girls, meeting random fellas at parties and stuff... But then it gets really old and a bit lonely. At the moment I'm in the longest r'ship I've ever been in (8 months or something!) and it's nice but boyfriends have their faults. They don't sweep you off your feet for a start :P And they aren't romantic.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm fed up of being single now.

ReputationRep:
    3 years is a fairly elongated amount of time by yourself.
    Then again, I am terrible at relationships, so perhaps it is fitting

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, no, I don't want to be single. However, I doubt very much that I could cope with a relationship, and frankly, I'm not going to put some poor innocent bloke's sanity at risk just so I can find out.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and no.
    I love being single in the way that I'm not held down to anything at the moment, and starting a relationship right now would be pretty stupid seeing as I should hopefully be off to the other end of England in September. I feel like I've got more time to myself and to spend with my friends. I can flirt shamelessly without feeling guilty. I'm too young to be tied down, I have so much ahead of me that I want to be able to grasp with both hands and run with, without worrying about the "other half".
    No, because I would like the companionship that comes with a relationship. However, my last relationship taught me that I should get out when it becomes unhealthy - it was stale, I was unhappy, I was being treated badly - so I don't want to get into another one and become a doormat again. Sometimes I do feel quite lonely though, and it's not something that friends can fill.
    I think at the moment being is single is best for me. I don't think I'd consider a relationship until I get to uni.

ReputationRep:
    single for about a year and probably happier. only problem is lack of frequent/consistent sex. if you're single with friends and an active life its probably better than being in a relationship
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Glorious Lozhka)
    In all honesty, no, I don't want to be single. However, I doubt very much that I could cope with a relationship, and frankly, I'm not going to put some poor innocent bloke's sanity at risk just so I can find out.
    lol, not sure about 'sanity' but i certainly would be cautions about exposing some poor girl to me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I prefer being single for the time being. So much less stress & headache. I've been single for the last 2 years and it's been a lot better, than when I was in a relationship. I'd want to stay single throughout uni too, unless someone really amazing changes my mind. :teeth:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2009
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.