Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for 2010 entry and I wa sjsut wondeirng which universities give the a high weighting to gcses cus i got A*AAAAABBBBCC which is quite bad tbh so was wondeirng which one sto watch out for and maybe which ones to apply to?

thnxs

ReputationRep:
    Bham - 7A*s leave well alone

ReputationRep:
    hmm im not sure. not very much help i know but.. people were saying on here the other day that nottingham are very GCSE obsessed and i panicked because im applying there and they supposedly want 8 A*s which i dont have. anyway i emailed the admissions lady and i now know that thats not true. i also asked my head of year at school and he said if they do have requirements it will be 8 As or above but most applications are considered individual. so basically if you AS levels are good and so is youre personal statement etc then it probably wont matter. your GCSEs are good anyway!

ReputationRep:
    birmingham, oxbridge, edinburgh have the highest gcse requirements so it's probably best to stay clear from those.

check the wiki gcse requirements page to see which unis you can apply to.

ReputationRep:
    LSE are for some subjects like Economics and apparently Durham are as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieM)
    LSE are for some subjects like Economics and apparently Durham are as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley:))
    hmm im not sure. not very much help i know but.. people were saying on here the other day that nottingham are very GCSE obsessed and i panicked because im applying there and they supposedly want 8 A*s which i dont have. anyway i emailed the admissions lady and i now know that thats not true. i also asked my head of year at school and he said if they do have requirements it will be 8 As or above but most applications are considered individual. so basically if you AS levels are good and so is youre personal statement etc then it probably wont matter. your GCSEs are good anyway!
    thnxs umm so where are you aplying to? ive got tons of wrk experiance and hopefully my ps will bve good as well as my ukcat score so should overshadow the gcses

ReputationRep:
    Belfast - I know someone with 5/6 A*s + the rest As that got rejected this year on her GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley:))
    your GCSEs are good anyway!
    For medicine I'm afraid their not considered good by the top unis...

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid Cardiff (point system where you pretty much need 4A*s +), Birmingham (7A* min), and Edinburgh I believe is quite tough on GCSEs. You'd be best off also avoiding Oxbridge, St Andrews, Barts and Bristol. There may be others too. Careful with an application to St Georges, they require an average of A at GCSE which you just fall short of.

Perhaps look at Peninsula, Keele, BSMS, HYMS and other less 'traditional' places who may place more importance on qualifications after school and work experience etc.

If you're unsuccessful this year, perhaps consider a gap year and applying when you hopefully have AAB+ and they won't be stressing so much over GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    Belfast - I know someone with 5/6 A*s + the rest As that got rejected this year on her GCSE results.
    This is very true, Queens rejected anyone who had less than 7A*s and 2As this year, though that is an average with UKCAT included. They do a points system where A*=4 A=3 and do this for your top 9 subjects. Then for every section in the UKCAT you get above average you get +1, every section below -1.

Oxbridge and Birmingham as well are meant to be fussy on GCSE's. Also Edinburgh and Cardiff are tough on GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    scottish unis especially edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge apparantly are more interested in the UMS of your AS Levels than your GCSE's they also hold a lot more faith in the BMAT/UKCAT cant remember which one it is you have to take for them. Couldn't stay the same for Oxford though..

ReputationRep:
    Look at applying to Aberdeen, Barts, Dundee, UEA, Glasgow, HYMS, Keele, Newcastle, Durham, Leicester, Manchester, Peninsula, Sheffield, Southampton, and UCL

(with Manchester, Barts, Newcastle, Durham, Leicester, Manchester, Peninsula, and Sheffield make sure your ukcat is very good! Also UCL need you to have a very good BMAT)

I'd say keep well away from the rest!! (btw i had almost the same grades (one less A in fact!) as you and managed to get an offer so im sure you will be fine!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Cambridge apparantly are more interested in the UMS of your AS Levels than your GCSE's they also hold a lot more faith in the BMAT/UKCAT cant remember which one it is you have to take for them. Couldn't stay the same for Oxford though..
    Yes, your UMS module results are submitted on the SAQ form, and at a talk I was at before applying, they said they would be looking for around above 275/300 for each subject. It is the BMAT, which is a lot harder than the UKCAT(IMO)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    This is very true, Queens rejected anyone who had less than 7A*s and 2As this year, though that is an average with UKCAT included. They do a points system where A*=4 A=3 and do this for your top 9 subjects. Then for every section in the UKCAT you get above average you get +1, every section below -1.
    Yeah, I thought the UKCAT would lower the GCSE requirement but it's raised it! They wanted 5A*s and 4As in my year (2007 entry, first year of the UKCAT but Queens didn't use it then.)

I've heard Glasgow are relying on the UKCAT more from this year. Someone at NMM said they spoke to someone at the open day and they want 2400+, with sections being relatively evenly weighted (so no 800 in one section and 500 in another.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    Yeah, I thought the UKCAT would lower the GCSE requirement but it's raised it! They wanted 5A*s and 4As in my year (2007 entry, first year of the UKCAT but Queens didn't use it then.)

I've heard Glasgow are relying on the UKCAT more from this year. Someone at NMM said they spoke to someone at the open day and they want 2400+, with sections being relatively evenly weighted (so no 800 in one section and 500 in another.)
    It was 35 points this year, and it was the same for dentistry. Its the highest it has ever been, so medicine is becoming more competitive for Queens. All the same, if you have high GCSE's you are almost guerenteed a place so long as you have a decent ps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Yes, your UMS module results are submitted on the SAQ form, and at a talk I was at before applying, they said they would be looking for around above 275/300 for each subject. It is the BMAT, which is a lot harder than the UKCAT(IMO)
    Thanks for clearing that up, and 275 out of 300? Thats interesting to know because I was thinking of applying. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Thanks for clearing that up, and 275 out of 300? Thats interesting to know because I was thinking of applying. Cheers.
    Yeah, that's what they said anyways. I luckily got above them but they will only guerentee you an interview. Your BMAT will need to be above average as well, and some colleges use it to determine wether you get an interview, whereas others use it to determine wether you get an interview or not.

Also high GCSE's cant harm your chances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    thnxs umm so where are you aplying to? ive got tons of wrk experiance and hopefully my ps will bve good as well as my ukcat score so should overshadow the gcses
    erm at the moment im thinking of applying to warwick nottingham bristol loughborough and not sure about a 5th what about you? and im sure you will be fine! im so scared il get 5 rejections! x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 10, 2009

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.