Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I think this is the right place for internet problems...

It started a few weeks ago, my laptop would suddenly tell me that it wasn't connected to the internet, and asked me to look on the ISP's sign-up page. I instead ran upstairs and looked at the modem - there's normally ~6 green lights for each stage of load-up, the final one was red. Simple, turn it off and on again, got internet back within ten minutes. No explanation, but I figured it'd fix itself.

Last two days it's gone...stranger. It tells me that it can't connect, then tells me that it's an issue with the TCP settings not being correct. I check the modem and all the green lights are on and I can get online with my parents laptop (how I'm typing this). I tell it to repair automatically and it does so, tells me everything is allright...and then sends me back to speedtouch, can't connect. Today, it's just said that it's a problem that can't be fixed automatically, so I'm totally lost.

Can anyone offer some advice?
    Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have your ip, gateway, etc configured manually?

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest, no, I just usually let my laptop deal with it as I'm not expert enough to do it wihtout fear of it...well...exploding.

ReputationRep:
    go to cmd and type ipconfig. Copy the gateway, dns, subnet mask, and ip from the computer you're using now. Then manually configure your connection in the pc that doesn't work with the same values, changing only the last number of the ip (ex: 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.101)

ReputationRep:
    Huh - it's started working for some reason. For now.

Right, I've gone into ipconfig and found all the details on this computer, how do I actually edit the details with cmd?

ReputationRep:
    1. Click Start, Control Panel, and open Network Connections
    2. Find and Right click on the active Local Area Connection and choose Properties
    3. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

There you can manually change it

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.