Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...very slowly. And it annoys me like hell.

My room is a total mess right now because I've taken loads of things out of cupboards and everything and it's just so much! I never know what to throw away and what not I'm tempted to throw away everything, even birthday cards and postcards but then I might miss some things... And there's so much decoration stuff in my room! Like candles, plants, little boxes etc.
    I'm just really fed up with all this already

Have you ever been in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that!

ReputationRep:
    I hate it =\
    And when you come across things when you don't know whther it's worth keeping them are not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to move out at the end of the summer so I know what you mean. I'm going to throw away most of the stuff in my room anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    ...very slowly. And it annoys me like hell.

My room is a total mess right now because I've taken loads of things out of cupboards and everything and it's just so much! I never know what to throw away and what not I'm tempted to throw away everything, even birthday cards and postcards but then I might miss some things... And there's so much decoration stuff in my room! Like candles, plants, little boxes etc.
    I'm just really fed up with all this already

Have you ever been in this situation?
    Yup. I didn't throw away anything when I moved out. I just put everything in boxes and saved them. It really doesn't bother my parents since all my thing are in boxes, and I'm sure I'll like to see those things again in some years

ReputationRep:
    I am at the moment yeah. fortunately my folks have a fair bit of space in the house for storage so alot of my stuff is just boxed up lying about.

ReputationRep:
    put in 3 piles
    1) things you want to keep and need frequently
    2) things you want to kep but could be boxed up and stored in loft etc
    3) stuff you no longer want/rubbish

ReputationRep:
    i agree :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlosb)
    Yup. I didn't throw away anything when I moved out. I just put everything in boxes and saved them. It really doesn't bother my parents since all my thing are in boxes, and I'm sure I'll like to see those things again in some years
    But where should I put these boxes? They just take away space don't they... I just don't know. I feel bad for throwing away some presents I never liked, too... :o:

But where should I put these boxes? They just take away space don't they... I just don't know. I feel bad for throwing away some presents I never liked, too... :o:
    Do the Indian thing. Repackage them and give them to somebody else :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Do the Indian thing. Repackage them and give them to somebody else :woo:
    Erm... Great idea but I really wouldn't wanna give them to anyone xD I've given some things to my mum but she's not really happy being used as a bin :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Put stuff that is good and you really don't need to charity. I was disgusted with the amount of perfectly good items that were thrown out from (first year) halls, including tvs, kitchen ware, food.

Get vacuum bags from poundland! They're a life saver, and squishes down any towels, clothes and bedding you have

I'm in a similar position to you at the minute, still got lots of tiny crap floating about still. I've wrapped a lot of things in plastic bags and put them in cardboard boxes to put into storage. You'll be grand. Deal with the clothes first though, it's easier.

ReputationRep:
    I put mine on the attic.
    Do you have an attic? or maybe a garage? Don't throw them away, really

Erm... Great idea but I really wouldn't wanna give them to anyone xD I've given some things to my mum but she's not really happy being used as a bin :awesome:
    Make some first generation Indian friends or go to India on holiday and surprise strangers with your "generosity" :awesome:

And if "giving things away" makes you feel cheap, and you don't really want to just "throw them away", you could do interesting explosivey things with them. Or is that illegal? I don't know. Who cares? Blow it up :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I put mine on the attic.
    Do you have an attic? or maybe a garage? Don't throw them away, really
    Yeah, I will have an attic. But we have to drive everything to England (from Germany) and it doesn't really help having loads I'll try to throw away as little as possible though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostdoll)
    Put stuff that is good and you really don't need to charity. I was disgusted with the amount of perfectly good items that were thrown out from (first year) halls, including tvs, kitchen ware, food.

Get vacuum bags from poundland! They're a life saver, and squishes down any towels, clothes and bedding you have

I'm in a similar position to you at the minute, still got lots of tiny crap floating about still. I've wrapped a lot of things in plastic bags and put them in cardboard boxes to put into storage. You'll be grand. Deal with the clothes first though, it's easier.
    Thanks for the advice I will give the clothes I don't want anymore to a friend though, she doesn't have much money and can't afford any clothes. But yeah, I have clocks and other old things I might actually give to charity! Didn't think of that, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Set yourself a limit and stick to it. I moved house recently from a 3 bed shared property to a bedsit. Obviously things needed to go. I said that I would load the car up first with things I definitely wanted. Then anything that didn't fit I would come back once more and do one more car load. Anything left over would go to the tip. I ended up throwing away loads of sentimental type things - old trophies, scout uniforms, and also loads of other things such as old PC's, a hifi etc etc. Took me 8 trips to the local tip to get rid of everything, but now I have just the essentials. I have no clothes that I don't wear regularly, and all my other stuff is stuff that gets used as opposed to sitting around gathering dust.

Its easy to look at something and be senitmental, but ask yourself do you really want to be carrying this around all your life? Some things were hard to chuck, but I'm glad I did as now my life is so much less cluttered and I can live in one room!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I will have an attic. But we have to drive everything to England (from Germany) and it doesn't really help having loads I'll try to throw away as little as possible though.
    Ohh you're moving with your family? I thought you were moving alone, that's why I suggested to leave it back in Germany Guess you'll have to throw away some things then. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I did it yesterday and it was the biggest pain ever. Unpacking everything back at home is even worse though.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh you're moving with your family? I thought you were moving alone, that's why I suggested to leave it back in Germany Guess you'll have to throw away some things then. Good luck!
    No, I'm moving alone but won't have a room to store it in and our attic is full. My parents are driving me over though. They don't really want the house full of my things and I really want to keep my things close. I don't plan on ever moving back to Germany, that's why.
    But thank you

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.