The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pessimistic or not i dont think there is life after death

but hey if there is, it will be a nice surprise im sure :smile:
How can anybody say it's a definite "yes" or a definite "no"? You lot must be incredibly intelligent knowing what happens after you're dead without even being dead.
I would really like to believe there's life after death, I really would. The sad reality is I have doubts that there is.

The state of nothingness is amazingly daunting.
Reply 23
Sithius
'Definitely yes'.... surely such a response is saying 'There is definitely life after death', no? How is that saying they don't have a definitive answer to the question posed?
That is saying that they have a definitive answer, but for us meer mortals the undecided option does just fine - how would "yes or no" actually improve matters?
Personally, in my heart of hearts I don't feel like there is. It just seems like the most absurb idea ever - you die but then you still live in the afterlife and meet all the people you miss and all the people you never got to meet when you were living. And live in eternal happiness.

But, I love the idea and I hope it is what happens after you die. I wouldn't like to think that death was 'it'.
Reply 25
Renal
That is saying that they have a definitive answer, but for us meer mortals the undecided option does just fine - how would "yes or no" actually improve matters?

I think there's a vast difference between "undecided" and "probably not" and "definitely not". I'm not going to answer the poll because none of the answers reflect my opinion.
Reply 26
^^^ That.

Renal

Useless poll is useless, still.

Very, very few people are going to say definitely yes or definitely no, and really mean it. Usually a poll on this matter would simply say 'yes' or 'no', instead focusing on the beliefs of the individual. That is far more useful.
How can anyone justify putting definitely yes or definitely no?! They are lying. For them to be able to definitively know the answer they must have some source of evidence for that reason which they are 100% sure is 100% correct and there is zero chance of any mistakes anywhere and no conflicting points of view with any evidence whatsoever and must somehow know that they are not being tricked or are subject to an illusion or other psychological phenomena.

I think it's safe to say that anyone who didnt put undecided is lying.

They might be prety damn sure but their surety cannot be 100% unless they dont understand the concepts of probability, possibility and surety in the first place making them insane and deluded or ridiculously uneducated.
Reply 28
Sithius
Very, very few people are going to say definitely yes or definitely no, and really mean it. Usually a poll on this matter would simply say 'yes' or 'no', instead focusing on the beliefs of the individual. That is far more useful.
How about a poll where you rank your belief on a scale of 1 to 100, 1 being very definitely yes, 100 being very definitely no and fifty being erm, dunno.
Reply 29
Renal
How about a poll where you rank your belief on a scale of 1 to 100, 1 being very definitely yes, 100 being very definitely no and fifty being erm, dunno.

You're missing the point. Even by such a scale, if the first two out of three options were 1/belief and 100/non belief, we would encounter the same problem.
What's your definition of death? People are brought back all the time after their hearts stopped beating and they've stopped breathing which was previously used as a definition of death. Revival, is that not life after death? Bringing people back from death will inevitably advance with science as will our definitions of what death is. With future prospects of cellular repair and nanotechnology it is not infeasible.

If you're referring to reincarnation like switching bodies into an animal or plant, or ascending to heaven then no I don't believe in the supernatural.
I agree the poll options are stupid. I was hoping for something like ''probably yess'' or ''probably no'' but definatley yes and no are not a representative answer for most people.
Reply 32
Renal

I vote 70
Reply 33
yes
I hope so.
punktopia
Do you believe in life after death?

The definitive poll.

Where did all your rep go?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/986177.stm

Slight Evidence of life after death? Interesting read, true or not.
Reply 37
Well of course not. By definition, death is the end of life, so if there was life after death, then death ≠ death. That wouldn't make sense.
fire2burn
What's your definition of death? People are brought back all the time after their hearts stopped beating and they've stopped breathing which was previously used as a definition of death. Revival, is that not life after death? Bringing people back from death will inevitably advance with science as will our definitions of what death is. With future prospects of cellular repair and nanotechnology it is not infeasible.

If you're referring to reincarnation like switching bodies into an animal or plant, or ascending to heaven then no I don't believe in the supernatural.

Well if people are brought back from the dead in the future, I think it would definitivly disproove religion once and for all.
Reply 39
fire2burn
People are brought back all the time after their hearts stopped beating and they've stopped breathing
Only in Holby!

Latest

Trending

Trending