Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of the relative "hatred"(unpopularity) towards basketball in the United Kingdom, but I would like to know, if there are any unis that approach the bucs seriously in terms of regular practice and reaching for good results in the league.

Hope someone can name any unis like what I just described(preferably top 20 academically.)

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProEL)
    I'm aware of the relative "hatred"(unpopularity) towards basketball in the United Kingdom, but I would like to know, if there are any unis that approach the bucs seriously in terms of regular practice and reaching for good results in the league.

Hope someone can name any unis like what I just described(preferably top 20 academically.)

Thanks.
    loughborough

ReputationRep:
    LSE

http://www.thebeaveronline.co.uk/sports/

Top 20 unis that I imagine would have good basketball teams/facilities would be: Durham, Loughborough, Manchester, Bristol etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Oxford/Cambridge had good teams as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProEL)

Thanks.
    Pretty much every team in the Premier South and Premier North have got decent set ups. I was at Brunel and we practiced 4 times a week. Leeds Met have recently been ploughing money into sport/bball. Southbank are decent and got good scholarship offers...Marjons and Worcester have always been powerhouses.

I always say to people pick a uni for the degree first and look at the basketball setup afterwards..

ReputationRep:
    Most of the top basketball unis in the UK offer special basketball scholarship programmes and often affiliation to a semi-professional team, but academically they're usually not exactly top tier (London South Bank, London Met, Leeds Met, Worcester, Northumbria are all pretty much fixtures in the premier league). The most academically reputable university in the premier league is Oxford who, by virtue of having a lot of American grad students who played college ball in the States, have a pretty good team. Edinburgh competes at a high level too, though I don't know whether that's because they're so good or whether BUSA has to include at least one Scottish team.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Southampton? They take it pretty seriously from what I hear.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.