Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone help me plan a healthy veggie diet? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'd like to lose a few pounds, just like 2 or 3, over the next few weeks, but Im really rubbish at planning what to eat, especially as I'm vegetarian
    What should I have for breaky, lunch etc adding up to about 1600 cals a day?
    please help!
    thankyou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi What kind of stuff do you eat at the minute?

Being veggie makes it easier to have a healthy low-calorie diet so long as you're eating the right stuff!

Breakfast: Wholegrain cereal (such as bran flakes, malt wheats, Cheerios etc) with strawberries, banana and 1% fat milk. Glass of fruit juice.

Lunches/Dinners: Pasta with courgettes, peppers, mushrooms with vegetarian cheese/veggie cheese and lemon zest/a tomato and onion sauce.
    Stuffed red peppers and/or large flat mushrooms with spaghetti/cous cous.
    Cous cous salad - either hot (with roasted courgettes, peppers and mushrooms) or cold (with cucumber, tomato, spring onion, mint, parsley, basil, pomegranate seeds) with tahini or houmous.
    Pasta salad - a little cold pasta, cucumber, tomato, peppers, asparagus.
    Spinach and ricotta cannelloni or lasagne with salad.
    Veggie mince lasagne with salad.

Snacks: Carrot and celery sticks
    Rice cakes with a little peanut butter
    Toast
    Yoghurt
    Cereal bar
    Fruit

I would advise just having breakfast and one main meal, with snacks. Three meals a day is too filling, I find - just eat your main meal, if you can, between the times you'd usually have lunch and dinner, and if you get peckish earlier, have a healthy snack.

ReputationRep:
    Yoghurt is vegetarian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Being veggie makes it easier to have a healthy low-calorie diet so long as you're eating the right stuff!
    I wouldn't say it makes it easier; you're more restricted and so if anything it'd be more difficult. Meat-eaters can choose to eat everything you mentioned, but vegetarians can't choose to eat meat. Well they can, but it'd mean giving up on their vegetarianism. Personally I think it's just as easy to eat a healthy omnivorous diet as it is to eat a healthy herbivorous diet

But yeah, all your suggestions sound good, apart from cheese is obviously fairly high in fat. What about eating cheeses like Parmesan-style (not actual Parmesan, because by definition this uses animal products in the manufacture [and not just milk, before anyone gets pedantic :p:]) or Feta; they have stronger flavours so you need less of them than, say, Cheddar.

I'd go for wholemeal instead of white pasta, because it seems healthier (not sure if it's true but the fibre'll keep you moving!).

Soya mince is genius stuff, you just pour on boiling water and leave it to rehydrate, then you can use it for lasagne, spag bol, tacos, anywhere you'd use normal mince really (except burgers). Holland & Barrett do a pack that's been flavoured "savoury", which looks more authentic and has a bit more taste than the plain one.

My lunch during revision season was always two wholemeal tortilla wraps, spread with houmous or tzatziki, with sliced vegetables (carrots, peppers, celery, spring onion etc). If you wanted it hot, you could fry the vegetables in a little bit of oil, and maybe use salsa instead of houmous/tzatziki.

2-3lb in a few weeks shouldn't be too difficult, unless you're really skinny already! I managed to lose more than that just by not going to the vending machine at college :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voxxy)
    Yoghurt is vegetarian?
    Mostly...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Meat-eaters can choose to eat everything you mentioned, but vegetarians can't choose to eat meat. Well they can, but it'd mean giving up on their vegetarianism. Personally I think it's just as easy to eat a healthy omnivorous diet as it is to eat a healthy herbivorous diet

:
    I agree with you there! Im not vegi but everything mentioned sounds good to me! often if we eat out I go for the fish or vegi option because you never know how meat has been handeled etc!

as for paramsan! you cant have the herbs and cheese bread in subway because its got parmasan on it!!

ReputationRep:
    Check out this thread for recipe ideas as well OP:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=962876

ReputationRep:
    Meat is very high in calories and fat, and red meat is high in carcinogens, which is why it's more difficult to lose weight and have a healthy diet if you eat meat than if you're vegetarian.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.