Turn on thread page Beta

Which hard drive should I get 320GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive or.. watch

ReputationRep:
    320GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    or
    500GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

What's the difference between them? If they are both the same price which one should I get and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbusters)
    or

What's the difference between them? If they are both the same price which one should I get and why?
    Obviously the second one lets you store more, but it also won't be that much slower in terms of performance. (It doesn't need to spin as fast because the data is more tightly packed.)

It depends on brand, but I'd probably get the latter.

ReputationRep:
    500GB....slower speed but hey you get 180 GB more!

ReputationRep:
    or

It depends if you're going to fill the 320gb really, if you won't for the forseeable future then go for the 320gb 7200rpm drive.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Make sure it's 2.5" HDD if you're buying for a laptop. And make sure you laptop is SATA.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in saying you're going for a Dell laptop? :p: I had the same decision to make!

I went with the 320gb (7,200) purely for the speed. I'll be doing some video editing and doubt I could possibly use 500gb. On my current PC I don't think I've even used 100gb. It depends what you're going to be doing with your pb to be honest. Do you need more speed or space?

ReputationRep:
    If this is a laptop drive, I'd definitely go for the 500GB, since the battery life will be better.
    As I mentioned above, the performance difference is small.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    For laptop drives, 5400 RPM is usually enough. In benchmarks, 7200 RPM drives don't tend to do much better in terms of speed, more important is the cache size these days. I'd go for the 500 GB drive, as I doubt the speed increase would be particularly noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starkov)
    Am I right in saying you're going for a Dell laptop? :p: I had the same decision to make!

I went with the 320gb (7,200) purely for the speed. I'll be doing some video editing and doubt I could possibly use 500gb. On my current PC I don't think I've even used 100gb. It depends what you're going to be doing with your pb to be honest. Do you need more speed or space?

Yeah you're right it is a dell laptop lol I went for the 500 GB because I do have SO much stuff (and quite a few games) that I would like on the laptop. Also I went for the best processor so hopefully speed won't be an issue. I just cba with external hard drives and stuff cause I always lose them xD

Have you ordered yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mailmerge)
    If this is a laptop drive, I'd definitely go for the 500GB, since the battery life will be better.
    As I mentioned above, the performance difference is small.

It is for a laptop and I chose the 500Gb :yes:

Thankyou for the help (:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're right it is a dell laptop lol I went for the 500 GB because I do have SO much stuff (and quite a few games) that I would like on the laptop. Also I went for the best processor so hopefully speed won't be an issue. I just cba with external hard drives and stuff cause I always lose them xD

Have you ordered yet?
    As others have said I doubt it will make too much of a difference with speed. Yeah I ordered last Monday. Apparently it should be here on the 21st of July! We'll see. What model did you go for?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 12, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.