Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help it itches so much

ReputationRep:
    If you couldn't do Credit maths, you haven't done the background work, and you probably don't have the ability.

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaaat

I wanna know how to fix myrash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I could do it, I was just moved down because on S3, I fuct up in a lot of tests. I could probably manage it though, just didn't work hard enough.
    So have you learned about quadratics, surds, factorisation and other algebra topics? If not you can't do the course.

ReputationRep:
    By all means, ask and see what they say. You may struggle, but you can't say you didn't try. Chances are, you'll need higher maths for a science degree anyway.

At the same time, it is highly advisable that you do Chemistry next year. That way you have the two sciences that some unis ask for, and Biology and Chemistry interlink quite a lot. If you've already done higher maths you should fiond the course fine.

ReputationRep:
    Surds and turds rhyme

ReputationRep:
    :jive:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've done the algebra topics & factorisation, and yes I know a bit about surds. Could I possibly revise the credit course before I start the higher maybe?
    Yes you could, aslong as you actually do it. Try some past papers maybe too? Look on ebay, everyone is selling theirs from the last year and they're going quite cheep. This won't make you pass the higher course, and you would still have to speak to your college about sitting the course. Do you know for sure they would let you with a general grade?

Bear in mind that many people with 1s in credit do not pass higher maths. There is a girl in my new higher maths class who got a 1 at standard grade and is now resitting the course after failing 2 of 3 NABs and finding the exam really difficult (she isn't predicted anything more than a C.) As it happens, I am the only sixth year in that class who hasn't already sat higher maths (there are 8 of us ).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I should do that too. Btw, I meant I did some of the credit course lol

Would it affect my application to uni this year if I only did 3 highers? (I need 4). Would they flat out reject me or give me a conditional?
    I honestly have no idea. I can't see it being too much of a problem, as long as when you apply for uni the following year, you have good predicted grades for the highers you are sitting. Don't take my word for it though. You could always phone up a few unis and see what they say?

ReputationRep:
    just didn't work hard enough.
    You're gonna have to work hard at higher maths. If you prove to the teachers/lecturers/TPTB that you're prepared to work your ass off and put effort in, they might let you do it.

To be honest, I can't really remember what I took from credit with me to higher. I know trig identities was one thing, but they don't take long. You just have to learn that sin x / cos x = tan x, sin x + cos x = 1 (hell, that's probably wrong, I can't even remember someone please correct me). Can't remember anything else.

ReputationRep:
    SPOILER

I failed higher epically

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I should do that too. Btw, I meant I did some of the credit course lol

Would it affect my application to uni this year if I only did 3 highers? (I need 4). Would they flat out reject me or give me a conditional?
    It would affect your application. some universities may flat out reject you and some may give you a conditional. I'm not sure but I don't think a Biology degree really needs higher maths. How can you do higher chemistry next year if you can't do it this year ? :confused:

I genuinely think you would struggle with higher maths with a 3 at standard grade. quite a few people stroll to 1s and 2s then go on to fail higher maths.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 although i'm not 100%. You won't learn all the stuff from credit you need in higher maths because all knowledge of credit is assumed so any of it could come up.

ReputationRep:
    wuts a sin

ReputationRep:
    why does being at college stop you doing higher chemistry this year? also does it not offer AH Biology?

i think you're better off applying in sixth year and starting university the year after than starting university in sixth year. it would be crap if everyone was off to the pub and getting pished and you were standing there with your tropicana orange juice.

ReputationRep:
    But orange juice is yummy

I'M HIGH OFF LIFE
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i think the thing with higher is that it presuppose a lot of the credit stuff - like they will give you a trinomial to factorise at credit and give you 3 or 4 marks, and that'll be a question in itself. at higher it's very much built into the questions and you get A mark for it at best, i reckon. you could easily teach yourself it though, because you actually drop a lot of credit stuff when you get to higher in favour of far more efficient methods. worst that can happen is you give at a go and struggle....ask!

ReputationRep:
    Just remembered, I think there was a question in this year's higher maths exam that needed the sine rule or the cosine rule. I think. But I didn't realise that, and even if I did, I can't remember either of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    it would be crap if everyone was off to the pub and getting pished and you were standing there with your tropicana orange juice.
    :hahaha: aww! this actually made me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    i think it's sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 although i'm not 100%. You won't learn all the stuff from credit you need in higher maths because all knowledge of credit is assumed so any of it could come up.
    It's not THAT long since you sat a maths exam :p:

(you are correct btw)

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.