Turn on thread page Beta

Thomas Burridge and LPUK in Norwich North watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey boys and girls!

I'll be interviewing Thomas Burridge of the UK Libertarian Party for the Southampton University Libertarian Society blog, and the LPUK Podcast.

He's only 18, but running for Member of Parliament for Norwich North! Is there anything that you: members of the public and prospective voters, would like to ask him?

I'd prefer questions from residents of Norwich North, but anything about him and the party is fair game. When I've got a list of questions, I'll post them for your veto. :P

Fire away!

ReputationRep:
    My contribution:

What makes you believe that an 18 year is qualified to run for Parliament? Experience is invaluable, how will you compensate for a severe lack of it?

ReputationRep:
    Which is his favourite Austrian economist?

ReputationRep:
    Is he aware that the term "libertarian" used to originally refer to left-anarchists and to apply it to a right wing party is a historical anomaly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Is he aware that the term "libertarian" used to originally refer to left-anarchists and to apply it to a right wing party is a historical anomaly?
    Well the god-damn statist left stole 'liberal' from us, so I don't feel too bad about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkHamster)
    Well the god-damn statist left stole 'liberal' from us, so I don't feel too bad about it.
    I'm not part of the statist left though am I? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    I'm not part of the statist left though am I? :p:
    Fair enough. Oh well, you don't mind sharing, then, do you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    His political beliefs:

• Economy: Believes that an enviroment where all businesses can compete fairly and without government interference is the best economic approach.
    • Health: In favour of a privatised NHS but done in a sensible manner, no massive sales or closure of hospitals. A process that begins with removing the layers of waste within the NHS.
    • Education: In favour of a voucher system.
    • Defence: Believes that Britain should have a strong defensive army only to be used in defence of our country.
    • Immigration: Believes that government should not be able to tell people where they can and cannot live and work, but recognises that practically a points based system is the best option for Great Britain.
    • Welfare: Must be scaled back to end the dependancy culture and should be gradually transferred to the private sector.
    • Law and Order: Strongly opposed to New Labour's police state, our civil liberties must be protected."Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
    • Electoral Reform: The monopoly on power of LibLabCon must be broken, the Single Transferable Vote system is the best way to do this while preserving the constituency link.
    • The EU: Believes that the EU threatens both our liberty and our national sovereignty, the project has gone too far to be renegotiated so the only option for Britain is immediate withdrawal.

The Libertarian Party of the UK (LPUK) is a more Libertarian version of United Kingdom Independence Party, which I have been voting for in most elections. However, I would be most likely inclined to switch and vote for LPUK were they to contest an election in my local constituency or ward.

What is Thomas Burridge’s view on the potential issue of vote splitting between UKIP and LPUK supporters?

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame there's a lot of "I'm a libertarian, but" in there. If you're a small party that's 'not going to win anyway' why bother kow-towing to the phoney consensus? No one is going to vote for a no-name party over a mainstream one because it phrased the same platitudes slightly better.

Does he believe that a person should be free to set fire to their pets in their back yard on the premiss that pets are property and the owner has rights to dispose of them as they choose under libertarian (propertarian) ideology?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Good questions all. Anyone in Norfolk or East Anglia want to ask something on local issues?

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I've got:
    1. You're the youngest candidate to have ever run for parliament. What made you want to run?
    2. But you're 18 years old, do you not think that life experiences are essential for an MP to be able to do their job well?
    3. Faith in MPs propriety has been shaken by the recent scandal over expenses, and Ian Gibson was forced to resign over the issue -- triggering this by-election. Do you think that Ian Gibson's use and alleged abuse of the expense system affected his approach to the job of MP?
    4. How are you yourself, and other Libertarian Party candidates different?
    5. The Libertarian Party, in their Manifesto, set themselves an ambitious set of first term policy goals: the Abolition of Income Tax, reform of the NHS, policing, and education. What is -- in your view -- LPUK's most important policy, and how will it help Joe Bloggs in Norwich North?
    6. As you know, we asked the members of The Student Room internet forum if they wanted to ask you anything. The first question comes from user "Anony mouse", who writes: "The Libertarian Party of the UK (LPUK) is a more Libertarian version of United Kingdom Independence Party, which I have been voting for in most elections. ... What is [your] view on the potential issue of vote splitting between UKIP and LPUK supporters?"
    7. Libertarians support the protection of strongly defined property rights. TSR member "Owsy" asks how this would apply in cases of animal cruelty? Surely under Libertarianism one may do with ones own animals as one pleases?
    8. One of the greatest strengths of our British system is that one may vote for politicians, not for parties. Would you be prepared to vote against the Party Line were you to be elected to Parliament? Under what circumstances?
    9. Finally: You've lived in the constituency all your life. What do you think is the most important local issue in this by-election, and what is your stance?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.