The classic Dr.Who thread (1963-1989)

Watch this thread
robocop1andahalf
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
For those old-skool Who fans that wan to discuss 26 unforgettable years of time travel and rubbery monsters!

What are your favourite stories, docs, companions, villains and general special moments? And what made you a "fan"?

I just got the E-Space trilogy DVD and am loving reliving every minute of this, three fantastic stories but I would go for Warriors Gate as the best just for being so surreal. I love the whiole "stuck in a big white void" thing to it.
Imperious_Leader
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
Wow, no other replies?

I'm primarily a classic series fan, got into Who in th '90s via the videos of old episodes.
I'm currently listening to the Big Finish Audios starring Paul McGann.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
Sylvester McCoy was my first doctor. Remembrance of the Daleks was perhaps my most clear memory, although I am convinced I remember Delta and the Bannermen first time round!

To any new series Jonny-come-latelys, please rediscover some of the old stuff, there are some classics, just ignore the rat (TM) and forget how old some episodes look - back in the day, they were immense!
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
Shame most of his stories failed to survive the BBC Archive clear out.

The Web of Fear, Fury From The Deep.....if only.
Last edited by RK; 2 years ago
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
Of course I have knowledge of the "old days", why else would I have started such a thread? Been watching since about 1987/1988ish.

Have you watched TOATL? For the C.Baker era, I didn't think it that bad and certainly enjoyed episodes 1-8, nothing can beat the sudden drama of part 8 and the climax. Unforgettable stuff.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
Of course I know all these old characters - stop asking stupid questions!

Invasion of Time however was duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
The War Games is an epic that never tires. 10 parts and gripping all the way, whereas Invasion of Time was full of nerdy fanwank!

More powerful than the Timelords? Who ya got in mind? The Sontarans? Mawdryn's mutants? The Bandrils?
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
I remember the Eternals, Lynda Baron and Leee John (of Imagination fame). What a combo!

PS. the reference to the Bandrils was supposed to be sarky - they were the biggest joke ever. Sock puppets (literally!) for crying out loud!
AidanLunn
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I am a MASSIVE classic Who fan (lucky to own ALL stories tapes from their original transmissions from Destiny of the Daleks onwards - not lucky enough to own them on Betamax!)

But of course I collect the DVDs when they come out. The Doctor Who Restoration team do a FANTASTIC job!!!

I prefer spooky/surrealist and gritty Doctor Who stories, so my faves are (sories in CAPITALS are ones I would recommend to any Nu Who fans wanting to see any of the classic series stories)

INFERNO (the ULTIMATE classic who story) (1970)
The Talons of Weng-Chaing (1977)
Survival (1989)
The Curse of Fenric (1989)
Battlefield (1989)
Remembrance of the Daleks (1988)
The Time Meddler (1965)
The Time Warrior (1973)
The Trial of a Time Lord - final two episodes (this story was segmented into 4 different sections) (1986)
Revelation of the Daleks (1985)
The Two Doctors (1985)
Attack of the Cybermen (1985)
Vengeance on Varos (1985)
The Caves of Androzani (1984)
Earthshock (1982)
Logopolis (1981)
STATE OF DECAY (1980)
WARRIORS' GATE (1981)
FULL CIRCLE (1980)
CITY OF DEATH (1979)
DESTINY OF THE DALEKS (1979)
HORROR ON FANG ROCK (1977)
The Robots of Death (1977)
Genesis of the Daleks (1975)
The Sea Devils (1972)
The Green Death (1973)
Spearhead from Space (1970)
The Silurians (1970)
The Deadly Assassin (1976)
Death to the Dalelsk (1974)
PLANET OF THE DALEKS (1973)
Invasion of the Dinosaurs (1974)
The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967) (possibly the cheapest Doctor Who story EVER!)
AidanLunn
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
I remember the Eternals, Lynda Baron and Leee John (of Imagination fame). What a combo!

PS. the reference to the Bandrils was supposed to be sarky - they were the biggest joke ever. Sock puppets (literally!) for crying out loud!
I take it you haven't seen Death to the Daleks then . . .

Monsters which are (literally!) people with rubber over their heads, LOADS of crap, tiny models with the actors blue-screened on top of them (The model Dalek ship isn't even at the right angle!) and a crap polystyrene melting Exxilon city!

Still, it's a brilliant story for it's plot and acting. An absolute corker!!!
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
Can you believe next month will be exactly TWENTY YEARS since Survival? When we thought Doctor Who would never ever come back?
AidanLunn
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
^^ Well I can't because I was born 9 months after the classic series finished (August 1990)
tigermoth99
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I used to watch Dr Who before the last classic series finished. Was pretty cool seeing Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor (and Ace, of course)
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
(Original post by tigermoth99)
I used to watch Dr Who before the last classic series finished. Was pretty cool seeing Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor (and Ace, of course)
Same here. In retrospect not exactly the greatest era of the show and only really Curse of Fenric has stood the test of greatness but s25 and 26 had their moments. Season 24 however with Bonnie Langford..... :yikes: :shot:
AidanLunn
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Same here. In retrospect not exactly the greatest era of the show and only really Curse of Fenric has stood the test of greatness but s25 and 26 had their moments. Season 24 however with Bonnie Langford..... :yikes: :shot:
How can you say that? Have you not seen Remembrance of the Daleks (1988)? That has stood the test of time better than Fenric, even if it does have wobbly Daleks and was shot with c**p cameras!!!

Impressive for the first ever programme broadcast in Britain in stereo!
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
(Original post by AidanLunn)
How can you say that? Have you not seen Remembrance of the Daleks (1988)? That has stood the test of time better than Fenric, even if it does have wobbly Daleks and was shot with c**p cameras!!!

Impressive for the first ever programme broadcast in Britain in stereo!
Remembrance of the Daleks is one of my first memories and a fun story but I would not say it was perfect, as nothing pissed me off more than that irritating little girl who served no purpose.

Survival is a great final episode - I just think the apocalyptic feel of the Cheetah Planet is ideal and Happiness Patrol and Greatest Show are good fun romps too.
robocop1andahalf
Rep:
I cannot think immediately off the top of my head what stories would be ideal for a Nu Who fan to observe but at a push I do not think anyone can go wrong with Robots of Death or City of Death or The Time Warrior as they are all 4-parters and have such great simple but fun stories to them.

I am of no doubt that the first three Tom Baker seasons are perfect, not a single bad episode. And I have also been recently coming to the conclusion that Trial of a Timelord (all 14 parts of it) is not that bad overall and deserves much more praise than it gets, just the ending was a bit of a massive WTF!
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Death to the Daleks ftw.

AidanLunn
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I am of no doubt that the first three Tom Baker seasons are perfect, not a single bad episode.
Apart from his first, Robot (1974) - far too childish and twee to appeal to anyone older than 12
AidanLunn
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pinkpenguin)
Death to the Daleks ftw.

Nope. The Exxilons are clearly just people wearing rubber blankets over their heads, the Daleks look like their have driven a miniature spaceship (AWFUL blue-screen/CSO effects) and the film sequences look so damaged that it seems that the film has been pulled through a Hoover bag before being loaded onto the telecine machine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (73)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (146)
37.92%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
28.57%
It was TERRIBLE (56)
14.55%

Watched Threads