The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parle à ma main
Manc use a cut off. :frown: It was 645 last year.

yeah I know. :/ think I'm going to apply to southampton, will that be okay?
Does anyone know if it's realistic to apply to King's with 7A* and 655 avg?
Reply 1082
Ive got 5 Long course A*s and 652.5 UKCAT avg, provided i beast my Personal statement, do I stand an all right chance at Kings?
Reply 1083
655 average.

which sucks cos i was aiming for GEP.. but now i have to play safe and aim for 5 year.. but most cutoffs are above 655? :s-smilie:

so i'm thinking Barts i'd prob stand a chance at.. the others i'm not too sure about.. i applied for GKT last year with 607 (suicide mission i know) and of course i was rejected. i'm apprehensive about applying again though =/
(edited 12 years ago)
those who have done the ukcat... which part was the hardest when compared to the practice tests ?? ive got mine on tuesday :\
Reply 1085
can anyone say if emedica's QR is representative of the real thing?
Just did the UKCAT test today and got a terrible score :cry2:

VR - 560
QR - 480
AR - 600
DA- 690
Average - 582.5

I'm really disappointed with DA especially since in practice tests I usually always get above 750. Although, my QR score looks awful, I'm actually quite pleased since I very rarely get over 450 and it is definitely my worst section. I think my bad score was influenced (particularly in AR) due to the fact that everytime I tried to click "Previous" instead it would constantly jump forward questions and I completely lost track and got confused...the person who was registering us said she'll put this down on the report :frown:

I was originally going to apply to Glasgow (which is completely out the window now!), Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Would it be worth still applying to the other three unis with my score??

Original post by taken4granted
those who have done the ukcat... which part was the hardest when compared to the practice tests ?? ive got mine on tuesday :\

Personally like I said above, I found VR and DA much harder in the test, compared to the practice tests, whilst I thought QR was easier and AR was just the same!
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 1087
I have 5A's at Scottish Higher Level - Maths, English, Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In S6 I am taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology and Higher Geography

Unfortunately i did really badly in my UKCAT got an average of 607.5 :frown: total of 2430

I volunteer at a local nursing home and i am getting work experience at a GP, but its after i send away by application, the same goes for work exp at a Medical Training Centre

I am wanting to apply for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Honestly, do i have a realistic chance of getting in?
Reply 1088
MAJOR HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!!

VR: 470
QR: 660
AR: 490
DA: 390

Score: 502.5

GCSE: 4 A*s, 4 As
AS: ABBC (Eng, Bio, Chem, Eco)
Predicted: AAA/AAB

Applying:

Peninsula
Manchester
Glasgow
Brighton-Sussex

Do I need to completely re-think where I am applying to? (if so, please could someone point me in the right direction)

Also, would it be worth looking at the foundation courses at Southampton, UEA, Nottingham?

Thanks!
Original post by jcb123
MAJOR HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!!

VR: 470
QR: 660
AR: 490
DA: 390

Score: 502.5

GCSE: 4 A*s, 4 As
AS: ABBC (Eng, Bio, Chem, Eco)
Predicted: AAA/AAB

Applying:

Peninsula
Manchester
Glasgow
Brighton-Sussex

Do I need to completely re-think where I am applying to? (if so, please could someone point me in the right direction)

Also, would it be worth looking at the foundation courses at Southampton, UEA, Nottingham?

Thanks!

I think you need to rethink applying to manchester and consider unis like bristol, liverpool etc. Have a look here - http://www.medreq.co.uk/program.php to see where you're eligible to apply and where you should avoid :smile:
Reply 1090
My UKCAT was really bad :s-smilie:

VR: 370 :frown:
QR: 650
AR: 590
DA: 670

I was advised to apply to 3 medical schools and 2 biomed but i felt that it isn't right.. Nevertheless these are my choices:

Birmingham
Aberdeen
Leeds
Newcastle (biomed)

I still haven't figured out if I should apply to three or four medical schools. Help?
Reply 1091
Is it okay if I apply to Nottingham with that score?
Original post by emilyyy101
yeah I know. :/ think I'm going to apply to southampton, will that be okay?

Sorry, late reply, not been on here in a few days.

Err, I dunno much about Soton, but iirc they cut out the bottom x% (something like 15%?) based on UKCAT score. But 635 should be above the cut off. Last year the cut off was 577 but the might have changed their admissions process since. You should go to "Southampton 2012 applicants thread" in the medical schools subforum and ask on there. :smile:
Reply 1093
Original post by lemony :)
Does anyone know if it's realistic to apply to King's with 7A* and 655 avg?

it's a fine score! APPLY TO KINGS <3
Reply 1094
gcse: 3A*'s 6A 1B
alevel:AABB
A2: A*AA (chem bio maths)
ukcat:603

where sould i apply ?!!
Original post by MaxH94
I have 5A's at Scottish Higher Level - Maths, English, Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In S6 I am taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology and Higher Geography

Unfortunately i did really badly in my UKCAT got an average of 607.5 :frown: total of 2430

I volunteer at a local nursing home and i am getting work experience at a GP, but its after i send away by application, the same goes for work exp at a Medical Training Centre

I am wanting to apply for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Honestly, do i have a realistic chance of getting in?

Make sure you mention that you're doing additional work experience this winter/autumn. I would say that its not worth applying to Glasgow as their cutoff was 652.5 last year and is only going to increase this year. The rest do not have a specific 'cutoff' but use it as part of the application process (Edinburgh use it as 8% of the application and Dundee 35% Not sure about Aberdeen. Glasgow use it as a cutoff only [I think] ) Good Luck!
Hello peoples!

Right, so I bummed my UKCAT (again) and got the same score as last year. :rolleyes:

I have a 640 average (710 VR, 660 QR, 560 AR & 630 DA) because for some weird reason I cocked up DA even though its my best section and AR was just a joke.

As usual doors like Bristol etc are open to me, but being a grad this is a little more difficult. Brum is out of the question due to 6A*s instead of a billion, not doing BMAT or GAMSAT due to cost and time restrictions and etc etc etc....

So, where can I apply? :colone:

I have a 2.1 degree in Biomed if you guys haven't read my posts before. :smile:
Hi everyone!

So I completely canned my UKCAT yesterday....and I REALLY need some help right now...

VR 540
QR 550
AR 630
DA 540 , which leads to an av of 565. (a.k.a. my score ACTUALLY sucks)
This is absolutely TERRIBLE, reasoning tests never agree with me. I'm an IB student with a predicted grade of around 36-38, and I was thinking of applying to Glasgow, Dundee, Southampton and Hull York..but I heard that they use cutoff scores? What should I do?? I don't know what else to do with my life if I can't get into medicine ):
oh and would they even consider me if I have a strong personal statement and decent predicted grades but terrible ukcat scores?
Today I got:

VR - 560 :frown: - think nerves got the better of me, usually my best section
QR - 620 - Shocked, very good for me
AR - 620 - Disappointed, thought I saw most of the patterns
DA - 650 - disappointed but could have been worse

Average 612.5 :frown:

Applying to Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and (?) - any suggestions?

Will the other three just rip my application up? I'm in the fourth year of my law degree and on course for a first/high 2:1 depending on the outcome of my dissertation. Work exp in a hospital and volunteer at a hospital. Volunteer at Sheriff Court too.

Any suggestions? Would hate for this all to be a total waste and not know what I want to do with my life again. Have literally put everything into this.

Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending