The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taken4granted
hey guys just did my uckat today and got 625 average :frown: i am a re-sit applicant, currently on my gap year and re-taking some units. i was just wondering which of these unis it would be best to apply to... (BSMS, UEA, Keele, Lancaster, Southampton, Belfast,Peninsula.) thank you

ouch!

625 and resit applicant?

sticky situation...

What was your UKCAT score last year? and what did you get at AS and what are your predictions?
Original post by Ilyas
ouch!

625 and resit applicant?

sticky situation...

What was your UKCAT score last year? and what did you get at AS and what are your predictions?

my uckat score last year was worse. i got aaaa at AS, AAB at A2 and im currently resitting one unit to get the b up to an A
Reply 1122
Original post by razzler
yh I know my strength is GCSE (i got 10A*) but I live in Manchester and thats where i really want to go!! :/

having a low ukcat i think i can apply to - bristol, liverpool, keele, southhampton, birmigham but they now look at AS results and I got AABB and im trying to see what others

Nice GCSEs! Aberdeen love high academics, I think most of their decision is based on academic achievement and the interview, just incase you're looking for another choice!
Reply 1123
I did really badly on my UKCAT too. It's frustrating to do relatively well in your exams and then have something like this as an obstacle. Sigh. I got like 603 or something. :frown: .... I've applied to Leeds, Keele, Bristol and Birmingham. Does this sound okay to you guys? Really wanted to try for St. Andrews too but yeah, probably pushing my luck if I did.
I got a 600 average, would that work for St.Andrews, Dundee and Edinburgh? I am primarily looking at Scotland.
Hey guys, I need some serious advice! I don't know whether I should apply to Peninsula. This will be my 3rd time applying for medicine! I have AAA grades however my UKCAT sucks. VR brought it down to an average of 625.
I heard that Peninsula puts less emphasis on the UKCAT for those who have achieved their A-levels already. However since their cut off was around 640 last year and most probably will increase this year.

Do you think I should still apply?

VR 550 QR 600 AR 700 DA 650
Reply 1126
Original post by ravenous33
I got a 600 average, would that work for St.Andrews, Dundee and Edinburgh? I am primarily looking at Scotland.

Not st andrews, they have a cut off which is if you get lower than the national ukcat average, they dont look at your application. Ukcat national average is roughly around 620. I would definitely do Aberdeen! They only use it 4%. I originally wanted to do glasgow, edinburgh, dundee and st andrews but because i got 623 for ukcat ive had to change it so I'm now doing edinburgh, dundee, st andrews and aberdeen :smile: hope this helps :smile:
Reply 1127
Original post by Andy1994
Hi everyone, just did my ukcat today and initially I thought "my score isn't brilliant but its not toooo bad," but after reading a few posts and opinions about what is considered a good score, I am getting very disappointed. :frown: I got an average of 613 btw. I just wanted to maybe get some advice about what I should do now. I had initally though of applying to two ukcat unis and two bmat unis- Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL, St Andrews. I know St Andrews is probably out because their cut off score is slap bang where mine is. Does my score put me in a bad position for edinburgh too, even though edinburgh only put 8% on the ukcat? What unis would you suggest for my 4th choice? I got 8A*s and 2As at GCSE and 4As at AS Level and am predicted 4A*s at A2 level. I would appreciate your help/advice! :smile:

Aberdeen!! They only use it as 4% of your overall application. :smile:
Reply 1128
do i have a chance at nottingham with 615?
I don't understand why student room members use averages for the UKCAT; most, if not all, universities don't use that so why should we? If you are giving them an average look at you oddly and ask for your overall score or a breakdown as each Uni values the sub-tests differently?

VR has a low average compared to the other sections so if you have a low one that shouldn't be too much of a worry.

The student rooms population apparently has a higher score average between users than real life applicants according to one university I have spoken to.

Anway i'm blabbering and this post has no direction - its just some things on my mind. :P
Reply 1130
Original post by Somerandomstudent
I don't understand why student room members use averages for the UKCAT; most, if not all, universities don't use that so why should we? If you are giving them an average look at you oddly and ask for your overall score or a breakdown as each Uni values the sub-tests differently?

VR has a low average compared to the other sections so if you have a low one that shouldn't be too much of a worry.

The student rooms population apparently has a higher score average between users than real life applicants according to one university I have spoken to.

Anway i'm blabbering and this post has no direction - its just some things on my mind. :P

I agree and think you made quite a good point :smile: I think people shouldn't look at the student room polls either because people can lie and plus it tends to be the people with good scores that post their results. :smile:
Original post by LHC
I agree and think you made quite a good point :smile: I think people shouldn't look at the student room polls either because people can lie and plus it tends to be the people with good scores that post their results. :smile:

Why thank you - there's a first time for everything. :P

UKCAT scores I personally know of are: 550, 630 (me), 620, 615, roughy 5 more 610-640, 670 and a 700+ which might give you a wider idea of results if you decide to trust them but as you can see these results are quite different from TSR results so I think it proves neither sets of data have a wide enough range to be accurate.
Reply 1132
Why thank you - there's a first time for everything. :P

UKCAT scores I personally know of are: 550, 630 (me), 620, 615, roughy 5 more 610-640, 670 and a 700+ which might give you a wider idea of results if you decide to trust them but as you can see these results are quite different from TSR results so I think it proves neither sets of data have a wide enough range to be accurate.

hehe :smile: ah i see, you did better than me in your ukcat :P yeah i agree but if i went by what everyone in my school got (9 people sat it) the scores would be higher :/ it goes from 600, 622.5(me), 645, 650, 695, 695, 745, 765, 765 :/ i was sooooo jealous of the two people in my year who got 765 :L Also, the actual average ukcat score tends to be around 620 every year, meaning that the majority of people got between 600-650, so I don't think people should be too worried :smile: I am concerned a bit about my score though because firstly, it stopped me applying to glasgow (originally my number one choice), and secondly it could stop me getting an interview at st andrews :/ but i'll just have to wait and see :smile:
Hi,
I know King's weigh quite a lot on the UKCAT. I've applied there with a score of 685 average. I got 4 A*s and 5 As at GCSE and I'm predicted A*AAA at A level from bio chem physics and french. Do I stand much chance of getting an interview? I'd really love to go there...
Reply 1134

Comparing average scores and total score are the same, the average is just the total/4 and vice versa. Most universities ,e.g. glasgow will use total score(or equally) average score as their cutoff (they give their cutoff in both total score and average, last year was 652.5 average or 2610 total.) Not many universities put stringent conditions on the individual subsets, the only ones I've heard of is that some want you to be over 600 in each, but I'm pretty sure most just use the total score (or average.)

Also, yes the student rooms averages are way higher than average applicants, so people shouldn't feel too disheartened, (although having said that, if your score is better than most people on tsr then you should probably feel pleased with your score :tongue:)
Original post by nattheweirdo
Hi,
I know King's weigh quite a lot on the UKCAT. I've applied there with a score of 685 average. I got 4 A*s and 5 As at GCSE and I'm predicted A*AAA at A level from bio chem physics and french. Do I stand much chance of getting an interview? I'd really love to go there...

I'm in a similar situation to you and would like to know as well :smile:
Original post by LHC
I am concerned a bit about my score though because firstly, it stopped me applying to glasgow (originally my number one choice), and secondly it could stop me getting an interview at st andrews :/ but i'll just have to wait and see :smile:

That sucks; I'm quite lucky as my school isn't exactly top of the range so Glasgow university has a widening access to medicine programme which should let me get a 10% drop in my UKCAT requirement for interview. I hope they do that anyway... :s-smilie:
Reply 1137
That sucks; I'm quite lucky as my school isn't exactly top of the range so Glasgow university has a widening access to medicine programme which should let me get a 10% drop in my UKCAT requirement for interview. I hope they do that anyway... :s-smilie:

Wow I actually wish I didn't go to a good school now so that I get that 10% drop :L I've never heard of that before :O but then again going to a good school or not doesn't make your chances of getting a good ukcat score higher or not. Wouldn't it be to do with your grades :smile:?
Reply 1138
Original post by S7U4R7
How can you get an average of 613 when other people have an average of 612.5?

Hi there, Yeah my average was 612.5. I just rounded it up, sorry.
Reply 1139
Original post by LHC
Aberdeen!! They only use it as 4% of your overall application. :smile:

Thanks! Yeah, I've ended up applying for Aberdeen! (and Bristol). But I hope the ukcat score of 612.5 wil not completely rule me out for edinburgh! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending