Turn on thread page Beta

Weightwatchers food watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    Okay so don't call me lame but i've been looking at the nutrition of a lot of supermarket foods online recently. I can't help but notice that weightwatchers seem to make a lot of packaged food that is much lower in calories and has a far better macro breakdown than similar foods in other brands. Obviously i know it won't taste exactly the same or be as good but for the most part is there anything i should know that is wrong with weightwatchers supermarket food?

For example i can get a pizza made by weightwatchers which is a fraction of the calories, carbs, fat and will fit into my daily limits. Any hidden problems i've not seen like specific ingredients? Otherwise i'm considering making the bulk of my packaged food weightwatchers stuff in the cases that it makes a big difference.
    Shouldn't really be eating any packaged food ideally. Less bad for you is still bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    I would second that Rosaaa, when you make food yourself you might not be able to measure the calories and what-not but at least you'll know exactly what's going in it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    True that and i will be cooking mainly but for my bulk i'm just trying to make it simple for myself now.

I'm doing 2100 calories, 180g Protein, 220g Carbs, 60g Fat. Trying to stay lean throughout. Although i will always choose wholewheat etc over the alternatives, i'm not too bothered about sources overall so long as my numbers stay within that range. Hence why i'm interested in the weightwatchers stuff so i can eat a few more leisure foods and keep it in check.
    You're only eating 2,100 calories, do you really need to throw in package meals to make anything up? How much do you weigh/height? 2,100 is a very low figure. Correct food choices are the key to staying lean. What you make yourself will always be nicer and better for you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It is expensive, and in a lot of the ready meals the portions are tiny, and mostly made up of sauce etc. I used to cook vegetables to eat with them, as then they filled me up more.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me sad that people eat this crap and think it's good for them.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried the pizzas, they're pretty dry. Carrot cake however is sooo good, but they're so small it's easy to munch a whole packet. It's true as well that you need to bulk any of their "meals" out with a tonne of veg or salad to feel full, but that's a good thing I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    I don't need to make up calories, it's for convenience sake. Please check out my last thread for details of my current weight/leanness. 2100 for me is not 'low', it's enough. The problem isn't trying to add calories, it's trying to cut it down. I could eat all day for no reason even if i'm not hungry, i'm going to find it difficult sticking to these numbers.

It's not even ready meals i'm concerned with, it's pizzas, deserts and sandwiches - the sort of thing i'd be eating socially. So when i do do this, i can keep it all in check. The rest of my regular diet will be all cooked by myself.

I don't want to really start a debate on packaged foods, low gi etc etc
    For the purpose of my next bulk i'm sticking to those numbers as stated above, tapering off carbs into the late afternoon. I won't be too concerned with the sources for obtaining those numbers to make my life simpler and as such am interested in weightwatchers supermarket food vs other brands.

'health' is irrelevant for this current goal. i'm entirely concerned with body composition.
    To quote you:

(Original post by Qrace)
    I could be really anal and spend the rest of the year adding up everything i eat perfectly and gain some size while staying lean or i could stop being a girl and just eat lots ensuring i get my protein numbers in everyday and live with the fat i'll inevitably gain. This isn't really living life anymore. Afterall does staying lean even matter?

Time to eat.
    2,850Kcal is closer to what you should be bulking on based upon your stats. You're skinny as mate, you need the calories. You can stay lean on that, but you have to make the right food choices, which aren't ready meals.

ReputationRep:
    I've had some of their ready meals, not desserts though. Quite nice - I mean they're edible.

The thing with them is that they are not worth the money at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    114lbs today at 5'6", thats calorie intake is a bit excessive to start on no?

Think about it. Say i'm 120lbs for convenience sake. I want to eat 1.5x my bodyweight in lbs of protein (normally lean bodymass but i'll just say bodyweight to be excessive). This makes 180g of protein a day. Now i'd want 0.5x bodyweight of fat, which makes up 60g fat a day. Now if you want me to make up 2850 calories and the remains is in carbs then this makes up 397g of carbs a day! Surely this is completely excessive, hence why 2100 calories seems more reasonable.

I'm not a proper ecto, i'm only that lean because i've put in the effort and been cutting majorly. I put on fat pretty easily. Not as lean as that second photo anymore and photos are a bit misleading as i hold most of my fat on my lower back. I'd prefer to up the calories slowly and re-assess often. I definitely want to add muscle mass but keep the fat gains to a minimum. I know this contradicts what i said earlier but i'm a real pussy when it comes to thinking of gaining fat in a proper bulk over winter
    You have a BMR of 1,485 x activity level of 1.55 + 500Kcals to bulk = 2,800

You won't put any weight on, you're more likely to lose it. But whatever, it's your call. You can either carry on being a pussy and stay small or accept that if you want to get bigger you will put on some fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    Surely this is completely excessive, hence why 2100 calories seems more reasonable.
    2280 cals if your not active.

2800 cals if your relatively active (3-5 days per week)

You can ofc up that if your more active or want to increase weight faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    Okay say theoretically you want me to make up 2800 calories. 2800 calories of what exactly? It's definitely excessive especially at first. 180g of protein is excessive as it is but hey protein is good. So what do you want me to make up the other 2020 calories with? carbs and fats? Thats crazy talk.

Of course i'll put on weight, currently i'm on less than half of that and i'm maintaining if only losing slightly. Wanting to start at 2100 calories isn't being a pussy, i don't need to gain lards of fat, i'm no hard gainer. I want to put on muscle through a clean bulk not turn into michelin man over a long winter off season.
    30% protein, 10-20% fat, 50-60% carbs

Carbs and dietary fat don't equal body fat. It isn't excessive, it's what you should be eating based on your BMR. If it's too much or too little, add or subtract 200 calories and test it again. You're trying to bulk, you need carbs. You're not going to gain "lards of fat", I haven't and I'm not a hardgainer either. Stop exaggerating, I'm not telling you to eat a truckload of doughnuts every day.

ReputationRep:
    ...the Chicken Arrabiata meal is quite tasty with a nice salad, mmmm
    As are the Lemon deserts, but I avoid the rest. My mom was hooked until I scared her by saying they had high levels of salt in them (i'd heard it somewhere, packaging doesn't comply though?) hmm..

ReputationRep:
    The portion sizes are way smaller that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    30% protein would be 210g
    10-20% fat would be 31-62g
    50-60% carbs would be 350-420g

I know what you're saying, i need the extra calories to add the weight (muscle). But when i break it down then it becomes obvious that firstly 210g of protein is far too excessive and that many carbs just aren't necessary at my current weight.

How many calories are you currently consuming and do you split them 30/50/20 like you've recommended for me? Is it a big deal for me to keep fats this low?
    You don't have to split it up like that, it's just a ratio I find works for me. Carbs aren't the enemy.

I'm bulking on 3,500Kcal+ and its going fairly slow and steady, 30/55/15. There's nothing wrong with fat. I used to eat 80g a day, I've had a spell of 120g a day, as long as they're good choices it's fine. 25/55/20 would be fine too. Why aren't that many carbs necessary? What are you basing that on? Carbs are just as important as protein.

ReputationRep:
    i get SOME WW stuff, like their chocolate snacks, or crisps..i have their curry sauce too, for when im in a hurry, other than that im not a fan of WW in general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qrace)
    30% protein would be 210g
    10-20% fat would be 31-62g
    50-60% carbs would be 350-420g

I know what you're saying, i need the extra calories to add the weight (muscle). But when i break it down then it becomes obvious that firstly 210g of protein is far too excessive and that many carbs just aren't necessary at my current weight.

How many calories are you currently consuming and do you split them 30/50/20 like you've recommended for me? Is it a big deal for me to keep fats this low?
    Fine, if you dont want to build anything. Im 140lb on 3000-3500 kcal/day and guess waht. Im bulking and surprise im as lean as i ever was

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.