Turn on thread page Beta

Why am I being so sensitive -housemate issues watch

So, I'm a grad student, living in a big college house with 12 others some of whom are much older than me.

I know this is a very small thing but it's got to me a lot. Recently people have been moving in and moving out and as a result the space in the fridge as become tight. So last week I put up a note asking everyone to chose a shelf and stick to it (I'm house rep) so that we could solve the problem. No one did, so today I assigned everyone a shelf.

I sent round an email to tell everyone and, one of my housemates, who's much older than me (and is for the most part very lovely and very motherly) sent me a reply telling me that I should have consulted everyone before just assigning shelves like that. I was really annoyed because I tried to ask everyone to chose.
    So I bumped into her in the kitchen and I hit the roof, but by hitting the roof I mean I told her not to criticise me for not doing things without looking to see if I'd done them (she apparently hadn't seen the note) I didn't shout or swear, but I did rant. I'm trying to be objective enough to see that I did over react (probably because I'm stressed) but wasn't abusive or anything like that. I flounced into the sitting room...door to the kitchen was still open and she was talking to two of my other housemates saying "this is bullying I will not stand for it, I'm telling the college secretary tomorrow" (this is coming from a woman who's about forty and she's "telling" on me)

So she told me that I should have done it a different way yadda yadda and I defended my actions but apologised for offending her(in the interest of not having a huge fight). And then she said something else about how I shouldn't have done something else(relatively trivial) and I said, I apologise for that too. And she said "so you should" to which I responded "I have, twice"

That was the end of it, it's a really trivial argument about a trivial issue. But I'm realy really upset about it. I'm really hurt that someone should call me a bully especially when there was never ever a cross word between us before and I didn't a)make any personal remarks b) swear c) shout and all I was doing in the first place was defending my actions. I asked my friend and she told me I should't be upset that it's only a small issue, but it's upset me so much that I can't sleep.

Maybe it just upset me so much because I'm stressed about other things. I don't know. I just feel really upset and really guilty, even though what I did wasn't major and I did apologise.

I don't really know what anyone can say as a response, but it feels good to write it all down.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, forty-something year old women are not to be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore her, i would have done the same and a lot of food would have ended up on the kitchen floor.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.