Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would like a bench and weights in my new place... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving into a ground floor flat and would like to have a bench and weights there.

There's room there for it. However, the floors are standard (i.e. floorboards I presume) so I'm concerned about dropping the barbell on the floor and doing damage.

There's also the logistical problem of getting it there as I don't drive. Although my dad could help me with that or I could use home delivery if the company I buy them from provides that (if I get them new).

Any advice? Or should I use the facilities at the gymn local to where I'm moving?

Thanks in advance.

Please quote me when you reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    I'm moving into a ground floor flat and would like to have a bench and weights there.

There's room there for it. However, the floors are standard (i.e. floorboards I presume) so I'm concerned about dropping the big two hand lifter on the floor and doing damage.

There's also the logistical problem of getting it there as I don't drive. Although my dad could help me with that or I could use home delivery if the company I buy them from provides that (if I get them new).

Any advice? Or should I use the facilities at the gymn local to where I'm moving?

Thanks in advance.

Please quote me when you reply.
    Would that be a barbell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Would that be a barbell?
    Sorry, out of laziness I didn't confirm what I thought it was (a barbell) - which would have merely required a google search - and just posted it used colloquial language. Sorry, about that, however I didn't think it would present a problem in giving me advice.

With that misunderstanding cleared up - would you mind deleting the post as it isn't helping my thread - I'll then delete this one. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.erhard-sport.com/weight-l...at.html?lang=1

or

http://www.erhard-sport.com/weight-l...me.html?lang=1

the last one is a bit ott, but the first one is a viable option. Any rubber mat will Do I guess. Even those big rubber puzzles for babies (aka. ) should do. Just stack 2 or 3 of the on top of each other. That should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's really helpful. I'll +rep you tommorow.

Is there anymore advice you can give on mats? E.g. the width or combined width/material I need? The ones you've linked to seem fine though.

Any thoughts on the logistical issue? As I said my father can obviously help me to transport them if necessary, but are there any viable options for me to purchase the bench and weights without having a car? Would you recommend any brands and suppliers?

Thanks in advance.

(Original post by NoHands)
    http://www.erhard-sport.com/weight-l...at.html?lang=1

or

http://www.erhard-sport.com/weight-l...me.html?lang=1

the last one is a bit ott, but the first one is a viable option. Any rubber mat will Do I guess. Even those big rubber puzzles for babies (aka. ) should do. Just stack 2 or 3 of the on top of each other. That should be enough.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you are dropping weights, you are not in control. That is bad form and is just lazy - so just get more control and don't drop weights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.