Turn on thread page Beta

Is it racist to call a European person a 'gr**go' watch

• View Poll Results: Would it be considered racist abuse if a European person was called a 'gr**g*'?
    Yes
    23.33%
    No
    76.67%

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would be racist for a European person to be labelled as a 'gr**go/gr**ga'?

Have you ever been called the term and later been upset because of it?

I was in Central America on business/vacation last week and I once heard some American people refer to themselves in that way - do you think they may have been attempting to 'reclaim' the word? (in the same way that some African-Americans occasionally use 'n****r')

What do European people think?

Poll attached.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Never encountered that term.

ReputationRep:
    How are people meant to comment when they don't know what the word is? Seriously though, I wouldn't get offended as a white european being called any word that's meant to be derogatory... It's just a word and you can only be offended by what you allow to affect you.

ReputationRep:
    A what now?

ReputationRep:
    what?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know what word you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that nearly no one here knows what you're referring to probably means it's not too offensive.

All I can think of is you saying gringo or a gringa. I have no idea what that is.

ReputationRep:
    Gringo i assume.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what that word is meant to be!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that used amongst mexicans? I don't see what relation there is between Europe and Mexico o_o

ReputationRep:
    What the **** are you talking about OP?

ReputationRep:
    its more a term used by mexicans to describe americans really.... I wouldnt regard it as terribly offensive really.

ReputationRep:
    "Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a Spanish word used in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, generally to denote people from the United States, more specifically white Americans."

Why would it be offensive to Europeans then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea what those words are, never even heard them used.

ReputationRep:
    yea, i dont even know the word

ReputationRep:
    Are you people serious? No-one knows what the OP is on about?
    Hehehe....
    There's debate on whether or not the term is actually derogatory or not but it's not that bad....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    What the **** are you talking about OP?
    :withstupid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris king)
    How are people meant to comment when they don't know what the word is? Seriously though, I wouldn't get offended as a white european being called any word that's meant to be derogatory... It's just a word and you can only be offended by what you allow to affect you.
    Obviously I can't spell the word out in full because it may be considered racially offensive!

Are you sure that as a white European you would not be offended by such words?! 'Gr**g* may not have offensive connotations in your opinion but what about words like 'gw**lo', which translates as 'Caucasian devil'? Would you not be offended by vitriolic material like that?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on intent, as with all words. You can call someone a hugable pussycat with ill intent and it thus cause offense. Equally many black people, as the OP noted, use the N-word with impunity almost as an ethnic identifier, having no ill will when using it. Your poll is thus rendered null and void. :rofl:

Anyway, the word's gringo for those who haven't heard of it and want to look it up. (Don't be silly, OP, you can say it; anyone who becomes offended by a mature discussion regarding the usage of a word, whatever it be, is quite a weeping willow indeed. :puppyeyes:) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Obviously I can't spell the word out in full because it may be considered racially offensive!

Are you sure that as a white European you would not be offended by such words?! 'Gr**g* may not have offensive connotations in your opinion but what about words like 'gw**lo', which translates as 'Caucasian devil'? Would you not be offended by vitriolic material like that?

squish.
    We don't know what you're talking about so no. The tone in which it's said might offend but if we don't know the meaning then it's water off of a duck's back.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.