Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it racist to call a European person a 'gr**go' Watch

• View Poll Results: Would it be considered racist abuse if a European person was called a 'gr**g*'?
    Yes
    23.33%
    No
    76.67%

ReputationRep:
    I´m English and I live in Spain, the Spanish call us guiris, which is like ****** or paki for northern Europeans.

ReputationRep:
    it printed paki but it didn´t print ******.
    That´s pretty racist

ReputationRep:
    i've never heard of the word gringo in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    I´m English and I live in Spain, the Spanish call us guiris, which is like ****** or paki for northern Europeans.
    Is 'guiri' not considered racist?

In the subcontinent there is a word for northern Europeans which is 'g*ra' which is sometimes viewed as mildly offensive, more so if sid like this: 'g*ri-p*kori'

There are some vitriolic terms used to refer to pale-skinned people like 'sp*nky' and also terms for female pale-skinned people with sexually derogatory connotations like 'milk-bottle' even though to many the latter may seem harmless.

Wouldn't you be offended by things like 'sp*nky'?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Is 'guiri' not considered racist?

In the subcontinent there is a word for northern Europeans which is 'g*ra' which is sometimes viewed as mildly offensive, more so if sid like this: 'g*ri-p*kori'

There are some vitriolic terms used to refer to pale-skinned people like 'sp*nky' and also terms for female pale-skinned people with sexually derogatory connotations like 'milk-bottle' even though to many the latter may seem harmless.

Wouldn't you be offended by things like 'sp*nky'?

squish.
    Guiri is used by the Spaniards to insult a northern European tourist or "expat"
    They also say "moro" to insult Muslims and "negrata" to insult blacks.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that word ina song, can't remember which one, glad someone finally enlightened me as to what it meant, i thought they made it up

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha who outside of the American southwest knows what gringo is? I was so shocked to see the title of this thread since it's just a word for a white American, basically. Since I actually am a white American, I'll answer. No, I do not find it offensive, and I'm pretty sure it's not even meant to be an offensive word. More a slang term than anything else.
    But even if someone called me "white devil," I'd probably just laugh. Like I care if anyone has a problem with me because of where my ancestors come from.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A who?

Depends on intent

ReputationRep:
    isn't it more of a spanish thing? and doesn't it mean 'friend'?

ReputationRep:
    so far its just sounding like the american version of the new zealand 'pakeha'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    isn't it more of a spanish thing? and doesn't it mean 'friend'?

I thought amigo meant friend :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeh black people reclaiming the word 'n*gga' really worked wonders didn't it, all it did was take the power away and everyone uses it now, but black people are still offended by it. Huge backfire me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosnovski)
    I thought amigo meant friend :confused:
    oh yeah, so it does.:o:

ReputationRep:
    A what? Anyway, from the thread it seems the word is directed at White Americans. Since I'm neither, no, I would take no offense.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not, go to hell.

ReputationRep:
    It can't be offensive to Europeans!

ReputationRep:
    If the word is used intentionally in a negative sense towards somebody then yes, it is racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    It can't be offensive to Europeans!
    It's not only directed at Americans, it depends on where you go but often it just means (white) foreigner in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    I really don't know what word you're talking about.
    The word is Grogo.
    It is a common term in the US for fat people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.