Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I had an offer back in February for my chosen degree course, but I ended up leaving college around April time for personal reasons so I failed to meet the offer. There's no way I can go back to college for another year, so I was thinking about taking a foundation year at my chosen university. Apart from the fact it's a waste of a year, there's the financial cost that's annoying me a bit.

How much is it exactly? The same cost as a dgeree year?

Oh, and am I too late to apply now? I want to start in September.

ReputationRep:
    I think foundation years are a lot lot less in cost than degrees. I thought art foundations were about a grand a year, but don't quote me on that.

It's worth ringing them up and asking about applying, generally universities are pretty understanding with these things too (and they all want your money!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For the cost, contact the university. Each university will have differing views on the costs of foundation degrees.

As for the being too late... simply ring up admissions and find out. We can't really advise you on that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    For the cost, contact the university. Each university will have differing views on the costs of foundation degrees.

As for the being too late... simply ring up admissions and find out. We can't really advise you on that one.

the OP was asking about a level 0 year not a a Foundation Degree
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    the OP was asking about a level 0 year not a a Foundation Degree
    My terminology may not have been spot on, though what I said stands nonetheless. Replace 'foundation degree' with 'foundation year' and it applies perfectly to what the OP wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Hi, I had an offer back in February for my chosen degree course, but I ended up leaving college around April time for personal reasons so I failed to meet the offer. There's no way I can go back to college for another year, so I was thinking about taking a foundation year at my chosen university. Apart from the fact it's a waste of a year, there's the financial cost that's annoying me a bit.

How much is it exactly? The same cost as a dgeree year?

Oh, and am I too late to apply now? I want to start in September.
    Foundation yrs have different cost factors for example huddersfield £1525 whereas teesside costs the full amount, so make sure you enquire the uni. Also if you still havent applied yet make sure you do before clearing starts, so many people have to take on the foundation yr after getting their results back.
    Some uni dont actually teach on the uni campus, kingston teach at their college then if you pass- your normal degree is at the uni campus.
    Oh also enquire about accom, i know most unis don't give you their accom as your at the colleges, stupid i know.
    I hope this helps.
    -k-

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed a foundation year at Cardiff Uni and it cost me the same as a normal year at Uni. Also, i didn't apply until mid january of '08, and went for an interview in mid feb, so if you ring up they may ask you to do this too. Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    Mine at Hull was half the price, though I wasn't eligible for a bursary that year.
    We can't help you with specifics unless we know which university it is, and even then, you should contact them direct as they may be more lenient than they appear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozeesh)
    I've just completed a foundation year at Cardiff Uni and it cost me the same as a normal year at Uni. Also, i didn't apply until mid january of '08, and went for an interview in mid feb, so if you ring up they may ask you to do this too. Good luck with it!
    how did you find the course, enjoyable? was it harder than A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    how did you find the course, enjoyable? was it harder than A-levels?
    Yeh I really enjoyed it I didn't do any science A levels so i can't really compare it to them sorry, but I guess it is harder in the sense that they cram most of AS and A level chem, maths and biol (biol depending on what course you go on to do) into one year! I found it more difficult than other people because I didn't really have a science background, but lots of people on the course already had chem, maths or biol a levels under their belts and they just sailed through the year so I think it's different for everyone :p: if you have any more questions just let me know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.