Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's some more info for those of you in the midst of TC applications etc as to the difficulties in the market:

http://www.thelawyer.com/training-co...001263.article

Number of applicants per training contract position is up by 150% from last year whilst the number of places has dropped by 19%. I think there's some holes in the maths in the article but, in any event, the market is extremely tight. The numbers might give some (cold) comfort to those who are struggling to get interviews - the competition is ridiculously fierce this time round. It may well be sensible to take a year out, do something interesting/impressive/fun and re-apply next year.

Chalks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    Here's some more info for those of you in the midst of TC applications etc as to the difficulties in the market:

http://www.thelawyer.com/training-co...001263.article

Number of applicants per training contract position is up by 150% from last year whilst the number of places has dropped by 19%. I think there's some holes in the maths in the article but, in any event, the market is extremely tight. The numbers might give some (cold) comfort to those who are struggling to get interviews - the competition is ridiculously fierce this time round. It may well be sensible to take a year out, do something interesting/impressive/fun and re-apply next year.

Chalks.
    If only I had the financial means to take a year out to do something interesting, impressive or fun

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather concerned about how long the knock-on effect will last...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    I'm rather concerned about how long the knock-on effect will last...
    There are different views.

Some think that this will be a short term blip and, once the economy starts to improve in 12 to 18 months' time, law firms will start recruiting at their old levels again.

Another view is that the recession is going to be much longer than that and firms are going to be cautious with recruitment for some considerable time. That view is supported by the fact that trainee to NQ retention levels have dropped significantly this year.

There is also a view that this crisis has forced firms to look very carefully at their business models and the way in which they resource their work. It may be that it is no longer necessary for firms such as CC to take on 100+ trainees each year but, instead, to move to a leaner model which isn't so resource (and overhead) heavy. If that is the case, we might never see a return to the levels of recruitment of the last few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    If only I had the financial means to take a year out to do something interesting, impressive or fun
    Work for 6 months, travel for 6 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    Work for 6 months, travel for 6 months?
    Well I already have my LPC place set up now, and have arranged funding without a training contract, although I'm still applying.... we'll see what happens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.