Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's not deep, or poetic, or innovative.

It's a bunch of near identical sounding nasal dirgey crap.

Just though to share that insight

ReputationRep:
    yea suppose it is cheers....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I used to like it when I was 14. I used to think I was extremely individual at the time, what with listening to indie music.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I basically concur - with a few exceptions.

(It is quite feel-good though, good if you're in a crap mood.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    I used to like it when I was 14. I used to think I was extremely individual at the time, what with listening to indie music.
    But you came to your senses? That's what counts.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really like it. I just cant vibe to it. But if its on at a club, then I will do my best to try.

I was under the impression indie wasn't trying to achieve a deep, or poetic, or innovative feeling in its music.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FunkmasterF)
    But you came to your senses? That's what counts.
    Of course I did... I hate the term 'indie'!

ReputationRep:
    It's generally poor. Very faddy aswell.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not the biggest fan of indie as a genre or label, i do like a few songs but that's it and some bands that may be classed indie. i tend not to like it though, not out of choice, just by coincidence.

saying that, i do think it's overrated, 'artists' play up to it, ***** who took the mick out of the whole rock genre now copy that style and live in topshop.

i can't really stand the fact that they all look, sound and talk about the same thing. it's boring and pointless.
    and yeah, a song about a girl who likes fish and chips, deep.
    it is apparently meant to be deep and poetic, as you'll hear every guy holding a guitar with a brunette bush on their head talking with huge amounts of confidnece that they're 'poets' and 'the best writer'. either that or commercial rubbish, losing the point in 'indie'.

or sorry, i may just not be cool enough for it. gutted.

ReputationRep:
    right.

ReputationRep:
    Indie music :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    You know what really pisses me off? People who leave on festival bracelets all year around, thinking that it makes them seem like some kind of edgy alternative beast of legendary proportions.

As if people are going to stare at the bracelets and go weak at the knees. "He was at GLASTONBURY?! WOAH, THIS GUY IS A REBEL, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF CRAZY THINGS HE MIGHT DO"

ReputationRep:
    Indie-folk is the way forward ah slow club :love:
    There is a selection in most genres that is deep, poetic and innovative.
    Don't generalise :shakes fist:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not apathetic or monotonic enough to be indie.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah probably kinda right.

but then again people class radiohead muse and bloc party as indie, and i certainly don't think their music is like what you just described...

ReputationRep:
    There's some bands I like that might fit into the indie category but on the whole yes all of the mainstream indie stuff you get in clubs and in NME is dull and mind numbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkmasterF)
    You know what really pisses me off? People who leave on festival bracelets all year around, thinking that it makes them seem like some kind of edgy alternative beast of legendary proportions.
    ditto. just take it off ffs, i don't mind indie music, its easy to listen to, you dont always want deep and meaningful stuff

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started on Indie music, it is the second genre of music i hate(with the first being Rap and RnB). Not too fond of the people who listen to it either, a large majority of them are pretentious gits who try to act "Cool" by buying NME weekly and imitating Skins.

ReputationRep:
    The label 'indie' ise used to categorise a lot of bands - some with very different sounds and varying levels of talent. I suppose the kind you're talking about is the generic 2x guitar, bass and drumkit mainstream setup, in which case i agree with you, as long as you're only talking about mainstream bands. There's no way you can collectively call all 'indie' bands crap or uninnovative because every band is going to contain different musicians with varying levels of talent. There are some absolutely amazing indie bands and then there are dire ones. It's stupid to say they're all rubbish; the 'indie' artists who aren't trying to fit the cliché can be incredible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.