Turn on thread page Beta

Indie music is not edgy. watch

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, does it occur to anyone else that as far as "rebelling" goes, Indie goes in the opposite direction to most movements and genres? It's kind of like "rebelling" against society, by acting like your grandad.

Moody, brooding, obsessed with old fashioned stuff, and completely against anything energetic or risky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkmasterF)
    You know what really pisses me off? People who leave on festival bracelets all year around, thinking that it makes them seem like some kind of edgy alternative beast of legendary proportions.

As if people are going to stare at the bracelets and go weak at the knees. "He was at GLASTONBURY?! WOAH, THIS GUY IS A REBEL, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF CRAZY THINGS HE MIGHT DO"
    I haven't met a single person like that ever, and the majority of the people I know attend at least 2 or 3 festivals a year. Most just keep them on for memories and such, not because it makes them 'a rebel or an alternative beast of legendary proportions'.

What hole did you pull that made up stereotype out of?

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, does it occur to anyone else that as far as "rebelling" goes, Indie goes in the opposite direction to most movements and genres? It's kind of like "rebelling" against society, by acting like your grandad.

Moody, brooding, obsessed with old fashioned stuff, and completely against anything energetic or risky.
    honestly, it's all fake. it's because old fashion is COOL!
    and copying each other is the new individual :woo:

seriously though, this is one trend that i want extinct. it's not even about the music anymore, but the fools who play up to it and spend £50 for a t-shirt because it's obviously indie. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    indie has lost it's meaning and people who are genuine are being slapped in the face by rich students acting hard.
    you've got me ranting now and i don't like it lol, end.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of completely disregarding an entire genre is just silly. I don't like most Indie, Rap, or RnB, but I do still listen to it. Today I've listened to Bloc Party, Black Eyed Peas, Bob Dylan, and Mayhem. Don't exclude a whole genre because most of it is crap, just wait for the gems to surface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    and yeah, a song about a girl who likes fish and chips, deep.
    What is that song? I saw it on Loose Women the other day and I've been trying to find it since. It was weird.

ReputationRep:

I like my granddad, and he was a surfing instructor :p:
    And quit 'rebelling' against 'indie' music by generalising! There's great stuff that fits in this incredibly large category and there is also the damn right awful!
    Argh.

ReputationRep:
    It's not deep, or poetic, or innovative.

It's a bunch of near identical sounding nasal dirgey crap.

Just though to share that insight
    Couldn't agree more , although I don't think I'd say it was ever really meant to be "edgy" in the first place.

Will admit I did used to listen to quite a bit of Oasis a few years back and liked it , but I've grown out of it of late.

ReputationRep:
    What bands do you guys count as indie...just wondering

ReputationRep:
    Depends one what bands your thinking of ??? Name them please .... most of them are just "pop" bands not indie

ReputationRep:
    The thing with saying indie is it means a different thing to different people. To one person it may mean Killers, Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs, to another it may mean Deerhoof, Wolf Party and Modest Mouse. How is it possible to have a discussion about this when everyone is talking about something totally different?

ReputationRep:
    Well. you just smell don't you...

=P

Some is good, some seems to run on a MTV 2 theme of w/e in fashion...

ReputationRep:
    You're spot on.

I'm sick of every new band coming out of the NME woodwork being classed as ''Indie'', they are as generic as any boy/girl bands now.

I hate the names too, trying to be cool.

''The Flash dancing cold poets''

''the bannana army fights back''

''Dog eats my tree''

and lets not forget

''The big lads with no tears''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyroo_g)
    What is that song? I saw it on Loose Women the other day and I've been trying to find it since. It was weird.

=o... a boy watches Loose Women???

ReputationRep:
    LOL i watched that too!
    called 'Red Lipstick' by Skint & Demoralised
    the guy kept calling himself a poet, gahhhh.

ReputationRep:
    Indie music is just a southern guy with an over-the-top english accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinorityRulez)
    What bands do you guys count as indie...just wondering
    damn just beat me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    LOL i watched that too!
    called 'Red Lipstick' by Skint & Demoralised
    the guy kept calling himself a poet, gahhhh.
    I missed the interview, just watching it now. Oh God. He compared himself to John Cooper Clarke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    =o... a boy watches Loose Women???
    Aha, not by choice, honestly!

ReputationRep:
    Aha, not by choice, honestly!
    Ah. A liar through and through :yep:

:p:

I have watched some with my mum too tbh... but as a 19yr old woman, meh.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.