Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Ah. A liar through and through :yep:

:p:

I have watched some with my mum too tbh... but as a 19yr old woman, meh.
    I like Carol, but I find the rest a little annoying. And most of the time they just moan about men! Not very nice.

ReputationRep:
    Summation notation: the 'mainstream' of any genre tends towards utter ****e, and 'indie' is no exception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyroo_g)
    I like Carol, but I find the rest a little annoying. And most of the time they just moan about men! Not very nice.
    Helloooo... it's called Loose Women! You got to moan about men... it's got to better then that male talk about women... :p: Why, what they say? Complain? :p:

BTW, you like Carol? Or like like Carol? :p:

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: to OP

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    Indie music to me sounds like a whiny kid moaning how he loves a girl but she doesn't love him etc. Typical middle class white kids music.

ReputationRep:
    it's *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I haven't met a single person like that ever, and the majority of the people I know attend at least 2 or 3 festivals a year. Most just keep them on for memories and such, not because it makes them 'a rebel or an alternative beast of legendary proportions'.

What hole did you pull that made up stereotype out of?
    Your 100% right.

I have a few festival bands on, and there's no way i keep them on because i want to look edgy and cool. I see them and they remind me of some of the best weekends of my life, jeez!

Anyway, why do people feel the need to belittle people for the music they listen too? You don't like it, so what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Helloooo... it's called Loose Women! You got to moan about men... it's got to better then that male talk about women... :p: Why, what they say? Complain? :p:

BTW, you like Carol? Or like like Carol? :p:
    They don't have to talk about men all the time. They're losing half of their potential audience! At least give the men a say!

Oh no, not like like hahaha. She's just the only one who ever speaks sense and isn't boring and old.

ReputationRep:
    are kaiser chiefs indie ?

cos if they are

HATE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyroo_g)
    They don't have to talk about men all the time. They're losing half of their potential audience! At least give the men a say!

Oh no, not like like hahaha. She's just the only one who ever speaks sense and isn't boring and old.
    XD
    Yeah, start a thread on that... it's a Women's show, bruv...

ReputationRep:
    i don't even know what indie is any more really.. it's applied to so much stuff, a lot of which is copy and paste radio 1/ nme ***** but a lot of which is really interesting. like most genres. there are genres where i hate most songs i hear but usually there are one or two gems that make you realise that you can't hate a whole, diverse group of acts because they are grouped under the same label

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Summation notation: the 'mainstream' of any genre tends towards utter ****e, and 'indie' is no exception.
    Yes, because saddos like you are desperate to be so (unorginally) original, you foolish noobsickle. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scented Waves)
    Yes, because saddos like you are desperate to be so (unorginally) original, you foolish noobsickle. :rolleyes:
    Originality is the quintessence of innovation, you congealed wad of expectorated sputum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bread+Roses)
    i don't even know what indie is any more really.. it's applied to so much stuff, a lot of which is copy and paste radio 1/ nme ***** but a lot of which is really interesting. like most genres. there are genres where i hate most songs i hear but usually there are one or two gems that make you realise that you can't hate a whole, diverse group of acts because they are grouped under the same label
    Whenever someone tells me that hey 'hate' hip-hop, I promptly refer them to this:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, honestly - you cannot lump one group under any label. Even *shudder* country music...I'm sure there's some good stuff out there. I consider most of my taste "indie", but I don't believe you have to be a pretentious idiot with your head stuck up your ass, nor a moron in plimsolls and a trilby hat shouting "LEGEND!" at Johnny Borrell/Luke Pritchard...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Whenever someone tells me that hey 'hate' hip-hop, I promptly refer them to this:

I don't get it, is that supposed to be good? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to define indie music and nobody seems to be naming bands. NMEs Greatest Indie Anthems Ever include Oasis, Nirvana, Smiths, Libertines, Stone Roses and Arctic Monkeys.

Are the people who say indie music is crap classifying these bands as indie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Agreed. I likes me some hip hop and I likes me some BoC...but that does absolutely nix for me.

On topic, Svenjamin's nailed it:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    The thing with saying indie is it means a different thing to different people. To one person it may mean Killers, Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs, to another it may mean Deerhoof, Wolf Party and Modest Mouse. How is it possible to have a discussion about this when everyone is talking about something totally different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Not necessarily 'good', so much as the sort of thing that ninety-percent of those who purportedly despise hip-hop would never identify with the genre. My point is that just about every category of music is more diverse than you can possibly imagine, and to dismiss one out-of-hand on the strength of its most prominent or popular examples is perfectly asinine.

ReputationRep:
    depends what you class as indie, if its any band in skinny jeans and stupid hats then i guess you're right. but er, people who make statements such the one made in the OP generally don't ever know what they're talking about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.