The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hate Indie. The modern kind that every hip and happening teenager rages on about.

It's boring.
Profesh
Whenever someone tells me that hey 'hate' hip-hop, I promptly refer them to this:

Isn't this more electronic?
Profesh
Not necessarily 'good', so much as the sort of thing that ninety-percent of those who purportedly despise hip-hop would never identify with the genre. My point is that just about every category of music is more diverse than you can possibly imagine, and dismiss one out-of-hand on the strength of its most prominent or popular examples is perfectly asinine.

Indeed, although that sounds like triphop to me but then again I suppose that's sort of a derivative of hiphop which proves the point. Anyway, I agree.
Reply 63
In popular music, independent music, often generally abbreviated as "indie", is a term used to describe independence from major commercial record labels and an autonomous, Do-It-Yourself approach to recording and publishing.
Personal preference. Personally I can't stand British indie, though, North American all the way.
Reply 65
CapturedSoul
Isn't this more electronic?

Hip-hop can be electronic:

I hate British indie tripe with the surreal accents they embelish when singing. American indie is actually alright, hard to label as there is a vast difference from band to band.
FunkmasterF
You know what really pisses me off? People who leave on festival bracelets all year around, thinking that it makes them seem like some kind of edgy alternative beast of legendary proportions.

As if people are going to stare at the bracelets and go weak at the knees. "He was at GLASTONBURY?! WOAH, THIS GUY IS A REBEL, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF CRAZY THINGS HE MIGHT DO"

I just got owned here as I kept a Glastonbury band on from 2002 to 2004.The shame of being a teenager!

Also I agree about the indie thing.
If you're a band that has a guitar you get described as indie these days. It doesn't even mean anything anymore.
Indie is hollyoaks music now.
Reply 70
I don't know, Deerhunter are pretty good.
Cooljack
I don't know, Deerhunter are pretty good.

Agreed. But something tells me the OP is thinking of what the NME considers 'indie', you know, The Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs, that sort of thing.

And he's right in that case, the bands that fit under NME/Radio 1's indie worldview are rubbish. But by dismissing the entire genre he's missing out on great and completely different bands like Deerhunter.
Yeah, dull pretentious monotonous faddy crap.
Reply 73
I hate that indie is a genre.
I don't get why people get so uppity about other people's musical tastes. Are your own lives so dull you can only entertain yourself by hating on 'indie' music (a label so vague as to render it effectively meaningless) and those who enjoy it? Does it really bother you that much?

The 'I hate people who jump on bandwagons' bandwagon is surely buckling under the weight of all you non-conforming conformists.
FunkmasterF
You know what really pisses me off? People who leave on festival bracelets all year around, thinking that it makes them seem like some kind of edgy alternative beast of legendary proportions.

As if people are going to stare at the bracelets and go weak at the knees. "He was at GLASTONBURY?! WOAH, THIS GUY IS A REBEL, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF CRAZY THINGS HE MIGHT DO"

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Give me Donna Summer's 'On the Radio' over any angsty, moody, skinny-jeaned, hair-dyed-black-and-straightened moron's music any day of the week. If that's your typical indie fan then I hate the genre and everything it stands for.
Agreed OP. Especially all the stupid band names, and the ridiculous fake accents they all put on when they sing. Garghhhh.
oo_Lucinda_oo
Agreed OP. Especially all the stupid band names, and the ridiculous fake accents they all put on when they sing. Garghhhh.

:rofl: that guy from the kooks
but i have to disagree with the OP since indie is my fave genre of music and i'm happy with it :P: too bad not many people in my school too enjoyed listening to indie...and yes i get what some people mean of the whole 'cool' thing by wearing 'skinny jeans' and a 'white t shirt' getting on their nerves and being associated with indie

Latest