Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's not particularly edgy anymore - but it's the same with other "genres" (and, for those people picky on the actually definition of "indie", I use the term lightly) that have gone somewhat mainstream. Drum & bass, for example. Dubstep will probably go the same way

ReputationRep:
    Indie as what it used to be had a lot of **** but also a lot of great stuff.
    If by indie you mean:
    the kook's
    Arctic monkeys
    kaiser chiefs

I agree that's all ****.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowboy Dan)
    Agreed. But something tells me the OP is thinking of what the NME considers 'indie', you know, The Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs, that sort of thing.

And he's right in that case, the bands that fit under NME/Radio 1's indie worldview are rubbish. But by dismissing the entire genre he's missing out on great and completely different bands like Deerhunter.
    Well you clearly don't read NME?
    NME includes a whole host of completely different sounding bands under its indie umbrella.

To me that is the whole point of indie, you can't simply define it by attempting to sum it up with a few bands such as the Kooks, which I agree are truly awful.

Instead, the indie music movement is not as it were a definable sound, its about artists who make music which is different to anything else you hear, its about artists who have a whole different approach to music.

As someone who takes an interest in grass roots indie, to hear it labelled as all the same is actually beyond ludicrous. In fact, if I pick out two random artists that have been defined as indie on my itunes library, Arcade Fire and Surfjan Stevens for instance, and listen to them in turn, then they are completely different sounds and experiences! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParanoidAndroid44)
    Well you clearly don't read NME?
    NME includes a whole host of completely different sounding bands under its indie umbrella.

To me that is the whole point of indie, you can't simply define it by attempting to sum it up with a few bands such as the Kooks, which I agree are truly awful.

Instead, the indie music movement is not as it were a definable sound, its about artists who make music which is different to anything else you hear, its about artists who have a whole different approach to music.

As someone who takes an interest in grass roots indie, to hear it labelled as all the same is actually beyond ludicrous. In fact, if I pick out two random artists that have been defined as indie on my itunes library, Arcade Fire and Surfjan Stevens for instance, and listen to them in turn, then they are completely different sounds and experiences! :rolleyes:
    You're right, I don't read the NME. I've read their website, but I was mostly just criticising bands that are generally called 'landfill indie', i.e. The Kooks, The Pigeon Detectives, I suppose NME indie may have been the wrong term and for that I apologize, but I'm sure you knew what I meant.

And if any of the rest of the post was directed at you, I'm a very big fan of indie music so I'm actually in agreement with you.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, I don't read the NME. I've read their website, but I was mostly just criticising bands that are generally called 'landfill indie', i.e. The Kooks, The Pigeon Detectives, I suppose NME indie may have been the wrong term and for that I apologize, but I'm sure you knew what I meant.

And if any of the rest of the post was directed at you, I'm a very big fan of indie music so I'm actually in agreement with you.
    hahaha, I think you and I both know NME is the worst guide to independent rock music there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    hahaha, I think you and I both know NME is the worst guide to independent rock music there is.
    Haha yeah, but I thought I'd better cover my bases just in case NME has become a respectable magazine recently. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, but I thought I'd better cover my bases just in case NME has become a respectable magazine recently. :p:
    If it has I'll smile widely, but it won't have.

ReputationRep:
    I like to compare the noughties Indie fad with the 90s boyband fad, very similar how any group of men can come along and try to become successful.

Both equally crap and pointless.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you are refrring to as indie because quite frankly that rterm seems to be banded around these days too much that it has lost all proper meaning.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: Op and a selection of other tasteless troglodytes refer to The Wombats et al as 'Indie' music.

ReputationRep:
    Why moan about what other people listen to? Just do your thing.

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: I disagree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Who said it was a guide to rock music anyway?
    Its the New Musical Express?

My point was not whether its allegedly "respectable" or not, just that if you pick up the NME and listen to a selection of the bands mentioned in there then they won't sound "nasal" or "monotonous".

And why have people got it into there heads that Indie groups are all-male? :confused:

Just a few that come to mind that have a female frontperson:
    Sky Larkin, Operator Please, CSS, The Kills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParanoidAndroid44)
    Who said it was a guide to rock music anyway?
    Its the New Musical Express?

My point was not whether its allegedly "respectable" or not, just that if you pick up the NME and listen to a selection of the bands mentioned in there then they won't sound "nasal" or "monotonous".

And why have people got it into there heads that Indie groups are all-male? :confused:

Just a few that come to mind that have a female frontperson:
    Sky Larkin, Operator Please, CSS, The Kills.
    Unofficially a lot of people (at least they used to a few years ago) referred to the NME as a guide to good indie rock.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.