Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many sleeping pills is too many? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't take them very often, but the recommended dose of two doesn't do anything for me anymore.
    How bad do you think it would be if i took three pills?
    They are over the counter pills, a herbal remedy.

ReputationRep:
    if the recommended dose is two then taking two wouldn't be bad would it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewis132)
    if the recommended dose is two then taking two wouldn't be bad would it...
    i've edited it now, i meant three pills lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    i've edited it now, i meant three pills lol
    Three will be fine, it will be about 6+ before they begin to cause serious damage.

I don't think the herbal ones have much power/effect anyway

ReputationRep:
    The herbal remedy ones don't work too well for me. I prefer Nytol. One of those often works a treat.

If you're really having problems trying to get to sleep, contact your doctor

ReputationRep:
    I don't take them very often, but the recommended dose of two doesn't do anything for me anymore.
    Dont be stupid there is a recommended dose for a reason. If they don't work go oto your GP and get prescription ones.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't take them with vodka it should be fine.... (although I did sleep incredibly well for the first time in months that night :awesome: )

OK, serious stuff now. Valerian-based sleeping tablets don't work instantly. It can take time for them to start working properly, sometimes over several weeks. For some people they do work immediately but for others they don't. So just taking them now and again won't work. You need to take the recommended dose over several weeks for them to really work properly.

If your tablets don't have Valerian in them, then just ignore what I've said.

ReputationRep:
    about tree fiddy
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    not very. I've dabbled with these things. but gosh you will feel awful the next day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    not very. I've dabbled with these things. but gosh you will feel awful the next day.
    Surprised you ain't mentioning using rohypnol

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine took about 8 once.

I actually thought he was going to die, then he said "it's okay, they're herbal!"

He's still alive, but you would probably need a horse tranquiliser to knock him out.

ReputationRep:
    When your heart stops, slow down the rate of consumption.

ReputationRep:
    You can give me any left overs I seriously need sleeping pills...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Rohypnol?
    edit: been beaten to it

ReputationRep:
    Over the counter sleepy-time pills don't work at all for me, no idea if it's because i'm so freaking tall but they don't even induce a yawn!

Promazine do ******* wonders though.. 30 minutes and you can't even keep your head up. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Over the counter stuff does work. If you're after a quick solution, get the one-a-night tablets. The herbal tablets are much slower and take, I think, a week before they have any sort of effect on your sleeping pattern.

To answer the question anything over the recommended dose is too much.

ReputationRep:
    Take the recommanded dose only...

ReputationRep:
    I took three and fell asleep after about an hour.
    I woke up several times during the night but didn't properly wake up until 10am, so thats about ten hours sleep.
    I'm still alive yaay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I prefer Nytol. One of those often works a treat.
    Where can you get Nytol from? Is it just like over-the-counter at Boots or wherever?

ReputationRep:
    any more than 50mg a night will be too much

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.