Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I managed to book my first driving test on the same day as A-level results day, thinking that results came out on the 13th rather than the 20th....s***. I'm either going to have a totally amazing day on the 20th, or the cruddiest one for quite a long time! Has anyone ever done the same thing? Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    That's brave, as you'll be so pleased with your results, that your concentration may be a bit off! I'm taking it the test is after results?

ReputationRep:
    personally, i'd try and cancel it. whether my test was before or after my results, there would be no way that i would be able to fully concerntrate on it. and if it's after and you don't do as well as you hoped, then i'd have thought a driving test would be the last thing you want to do, and the result of doing it may make your day even worse..

i'm sure it's okay to cancel this far before it, and hopefully get a full refund, especially if you explain everything.

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to just stay. Calm.

If you revised for your summer exams, the results will be fine. If you know how to drive according to test standards, you will be fine In saying that, though, when I passed my test I drove sooo badly... Think the examiner took a shine to me! (I might actually be convinced by that, except he was gay and I'm a girl... Aaaanyway!)

With driving, just take a few extra lessons in the week before your test, one the day before as well, and you get an hour before the exam to go over your manoevures (sp!!) as well.

ReputationRep:
    No, other way around...Test at 9.37 and then results.

ReputationRep:
    I had my january A2 results out a day after my driving test, and i knew it would either be one of the best or the worst weeks of my life, luckily it was on the better side, as i passed and did reasonably well in my results good luck in both btw!

ReputationRep:
    I got my Alevel results and then went and Gave blood... I passed out even after a cookie and a drink! bouns tho I was resued by a hot guy!

ReputationRep:
    Something worth thinking about is that, after the driving test, it is normally advised that you do not drive the car back home yourself, but that your instructor does it for you, regardless of the decision, due to the emotion of the result affecting your drive home. It could be said that doing your test on A-level results day could have arguably the same effect... But otherwise, good luck, brave one!

ReputationRep:
    That's going to be a mighty stressful day. You'll be worrying about both, first thing in the morning and you'll struggle to concentrate. I personally couldn't imagine trying to do anything else before finding out results.

Actually, why don't you go on UCAS first thing in the morning on that day? It'll tell you whether you got into your uni before you do your test - at least that gets rid of one thing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    No, other way around...Test at 9.37 and then results.

Go for it! Just keep calm.

You know when you go into an exam you have to really focus and not think about that party you got that night, or sit and watch the clock and you've got to utilise the short time you have to get the best results... Same for the driving test, just focus and try not to let the thought of results enter your head untill you're back at the test centre and finished the driving test!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofingers)
    Something worth thinking about is that, after the driving test, it is normally advised that you do not drive the car back home yourself, but that your instructor does it for you, regardless of the decision, due to the emotion of the result affecting your drive home. It could be said that doing your test on A-level results day could have arguably the same effect... But otherwise, good luck, brave one!
    You can't drive the car back home after the test. The instructor has to drive you back. Once you have passed, you are no longer a learner driver so are therefore not insured. If you crashed the intrustors car on the drive home (or had any kind of accident; small or minor) you would techincally be charged an uninsured driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    You can't drive the car back home after the test. The instructor has to drive you back. Once you have passed, you are no longer a learner driver so are therefore not insured. If you crashed the intrustors car on the drive home (or had any kind of accident; small or minor) you would techincally be charged an uninsured driver.
    Good point I never thought about it like that! Though I also assume that the instructor would also drive the car back if the candidate fails, due to emotion and not insurance problems.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I had my first driving lesson on my AS results day last year, but I suppose that's not quite the same. But yes, either your day will be amazing or your day will be rubbish. Or, more awkwardly, your day could be simultaneously amazing and rubbish (if one goes well but the other doesn't), which would be a very strange feeling. However, your concentration might be a bit off during the test (whether it's before or after results), so don't be too surprised if you fail :p: But surely you're still before the deadline to cancel? Why not rearrange it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    I don't think that's always true, as most instructors do Pass Plus so those with a full driving license are covered by the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmine90)
    I had my january A2 results out a day after my driving test, and i knew it would either be one of the best or the worst weeks of my life, luckily it was on the better side, as i passed and did reasonably well in my results good luck in both btw!
    That's good, at least your results won't influence the test. The plus side is that you won't be worrying about your A level results (just the driving test!!)

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly I'm actually more worried about my driving test than results! Partly because I'm taking a gap year so not as much is riding on results (the drama courses I'm going for next year require two passes at A-level to get in), and partly because I should do well in my results.

In answer to thos asking why I don't simply cancel my test...I don't want to have to wait another few weeks to take it. I need to be driving asap in order to get work experience during my gap year, and have most of july and august doing various things and so don't really have a time that I could re-arrange it for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.