The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Sport at York

Ummm, yea, basically I'm just wondering how sport at York "works". I understand that you have to pay to join the athletics union as a whole, but do you then have to pay for each team which you want to join? What about college sport, do you need to pay to take part in that as well?

Also i was wondering if all the sport is played on the same day. I'm hoping to to get into the rugby team. However I'd also like to play table tennis and some competitive skiing (I've heard York have a decent ski team?). Any maybe college football too. Is that too much, would they have conflicting schedules, etc.

Also, how are the teams decided? I'd assume there would be trials and stuff? But, for things like skiing in particular, I can imagine that it wouldn't be too practical...
Reply 1
supercoolfred
Ummm, yea, basically I'm just wondering how sport at York "works". I understand that you have to pay to join the athletics union as a whole, but do you then have to pay for each team which you want to join? What about college sport, do you need to pay to take part in that as well?

Also i was wondering if all the sport is played on the same day. I'm hoping to to get into the rugby team. However I'd also like to play table tennis and some competitive skiing (I've heard York have a decent ski team?). Any maybe college football too. Is that too much, would they have conflicting schedules, etc.

Also, how are the teams decided? I'd assume there would be trials and stuff? But, for things like skiing in particular, I can imagine that it wouldn't be too practical...

Yeah, it's a combined York Sport and Sports Centre membership, £40 per year iirc and it enables you to use the sports centre too (some clubs do complain about this, like darts, because they don't need the sports centre, so why do people have to join the sports centre to play darts, and so on), as well as the individual teams (which are like £4/yr iirc!).

College sport is typically subsidised by the college. I think 4 sports would be a bit much, but I don't play any so maybe I'm wrong. As for try-outs, I'm pretty sure that's how they do it, and probably for skiing too - they do go to Sheffield once a week to ski, but that's just a guess
University of York
York
laser
Yeah, it's a combined York Sport and Sports Centre membership, £40 per year iirc and it enables you to use the sports centre too (some clubs do complain about this, like darts, because they don't need the sports centre, so why do people have to join the sports centre to play darts, and so on), as well as the individual teams (which are like £4/yr iirc!).

That's right. I didn't do a lot of sport, but I was a fencer on their womens team and I had to pay that msyelf. I didn't mind too much because we did use the sports centre 3 times a week at 2 hours per session though, and with the club fee only being £25 plus the £40 YorkSport membership for the whole year, it wasn't an unreasonable amount.

Team selection for fencing was based around what the captains had seen you do during practice and training, and occasionally trials were held to choose between people who were of a similar level. With larger clubs, the selection process would have been different I am sure, but I'm afarid Ican only tell you about fencing :frown:

Sports facilities at York are limited, for example there is no swimming pool on campus, and other clubs have to travel quite a way to find a suitable place (such as skiing that has already been mentioned).

Also, if you are going to be involved with sport at York you should look forward to Roses (annual sports comp between York and Lancaster, being held at for Lancaster 2010) which is always a laugh.
laser

College sport is typically subsidised by the college. I think 4 sports would be a bit much, but I don't play any so maybe I'm wrong. As for try-outs, I'm pretty sure that's how they do it, and probably for skiing too - they do go to Sheffield once a week to ski, but that's just a guess

Hmm, if they do it once a week then maybe I wont have enough time to do all the stuff... I just thought that i'd have loads of spare time, what with 15hrs of lectures a week (or thereabouts). May have to drop my ping-pong filled dreams
Reply 4
supercoolfred
Hmm, if they do it once a week then maybe I wont have enough time to do all the stuff... I just thought that i'd have loads of spare time, what with 15hrs of lectures a week (or thereabouts). May have to drop my ping-pong filled dreams

15 hours a week would actually put you in one of the more demanding subjects. You do have to do work (reading, work for seminars, essays, etc) outside of just lectures :smile:

Latest