Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils? watch

• View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils?
    No
    52.17%
    Yes
    41.30%
    Undecided
    6.52%

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Teachers aren't allowed to hit pupils as it stands, and as we've seen recently, it can go wrong pretty quickly - a teacher nearly killing a pupil is definitely taking it too far...

I'm sure we're all familiar with kids that can't be controlled by anyone - not even their parents. Detentions... Do they really punish the pupil? It was considered to be a little annoying at my school, but nobody was really bothered. It didn't deter bad behaviour in the slightest. Some pupils seem to be really pushing their luck in schools today, and it was only a matter of time before a teacher snapped.

And it seems even these days that parents disciplining their child (smack on the bum or whatever) is frowned upon. Isn't this the only way the child is going to learn? When I was younger I knew that if I was being a little **** I would get a smack from my parents, and that encouraged me to behave.

The days of canes are obviously long gone, and that's probably a good thing too, but should teachers be allowed to hit pupils in order to discipline them if they misbehave? Some will inevitably argue that it could go too far (we've seen this recently, and I definitely don't agree with that sort of violence) and others will argue it's a good idea.

I personally feel that some sort of discipline needs to be brought upon troublemakers in schools - within reason. I'm not suggesting every teacher should be allowed to beat up the pupils, but there needs to be some sort of discipline - much stronger than a detention or suspension from school. Surely if the pupils knew if they misbehaved they would be punished, it would deter them from behaving badly? I'm sure many of us were smacked by our parents as children, and it worked - we wouldn't misbehave! On the other hand, I do feel as though some teachers could abuse such actions should they be allowed to occur within schools, or pupils deliberately misbehaving to push the teachers to the limit - resulting in the story we've seen recently. :dontknow: It's a tricky one.

What do the users of TSR think?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily hit with their hands, but I think the strap should be reintroduced.

ReputationRep:
    Definately not, seriously crossing a line, leave it to parents... or other pupils!!!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely 100% No. Children should never be hit in the first place by their parents, let alone teachers. Thats just sick! I wouldnt want to send my child to school knowing that they could come home with bruises from taking a shot from a teacher!

ReputationRep:
    No absolutely not. For several reasons. Firstly, you can't force teachers to hit children as a punishment therefore there would be some teachers that would and some that wouldn't making an uneven system.
    Secondly, now maybe this is just me, but if physical punishments were introduced when I was in school then I wouldn't stand for it. If a teacher tried to hit me with anything they would end up worse off (at the time I was a brown belt in ju-jitsu, now black ).
    Thirdly, you can guarantee that there would be some knob heads of teachers (I can think of many from my school and it wasn't a big one) who would take it to far and end up putting someone in hospital.
    Now if these arent reasons why not to i don't know what is!

note: as a fourth, there's enough violence as it is on the playgrounds and fields and even in the classrooms when the teachers have gone without teachers needing to add to it. And how can you tell children not to be violent when the punishment is violence!

ReputationRep:
    No.

- A lot less people would want to become teachers if they thought it might involve hitting children
    - I for one was shouted at many times because of a misunderstanding when I didn't really deserve it. What if this happened and a child was hit?
    - I think it is just wrong for anyone to hit a child, unless it is a parent and it is just smacking that doesn't really do any harm. It teaches the child that violence is the answer to problems!

ReputationRep:
    No. :proud:

ReputationRep:
    absolutely not

ReputationRep:
    No one should be allowed to hit anyone.

ReputationRep:
    On balance no, but nobody can deny those pricks who go out to make teachers' lives miseries for no reason other than showing off to their mates need something more to deter them.

ReputationRep:
    What happens when the student stands up and gives the teacher a good old beating, cos that´s what would happen today.

ReputationRep:
    100% no, how would you control exactly how hard the punishment or when to give it?

ReputationRep:
    Big NO

ReputationRep:
    No they definitely shouldn't be allowed.

I do however think the cane should be brought back, it seemed to do the job! But then what do I know... I wasn't there lol.

Teachers most definitely need to be given more power, pupils these days are getting away with all sorts because teachers are scared of legal action being taken for something small being over exaggerated. Violence, however, is not the correct form in which this 'power', or maybe more suitably authority, should be provided. Imo it will encourage retalliation and further violence. SOmething certainly needs to be done though. Detention is useless and lets face it, suspension just hives kids who misbehave the joy of being of school.

ReputationRep:
    If you had asked me a couple of years ago when I was in 6th form still, I would have said 100% 'No'.

But now I have to put up with idiot school kids on the bus when I come home from work and my 'No' percentage is gradually decreasing.

ReputationRep:
    Should pupils be allowed to hit teachers? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    No, if it were legal then I think teachers should get hit by kids if they muck up with something, its only fair :yep:

Maybe fines would be better?
    I think kids need to be educated by typical role models that if you want to get far in life then you have to respect your teachers and start to work or else you'll become chavs.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not, largely because hitting is a very ambiguous punishment. You would end up with countless cases along the lines of what happened at the last G8 Summit (well, hopefully not involving fatalities) with staff being accused of overplaying their role, abusing their positions and the like. This is heightened by the fact that modern society is incredibly open as regards accusations made against academic staff.

Yes, the physical pain of these punishments is a deterrent up to a point. It's also too provocative of disruptive children, too humiliating, too subjective and ultimately as lacking in behavioural educational value as weak verbal attempts from a teacher to control an unruly class.

ReputationRep:
    No, teachers are sometimes rubbish at telling whose in the wrong. And the kids would probably hit back or think that since teachers were allowed to hit them it was okay to be violent towards other teachers and each other.

ReputationRep:
    Idon't think they should be able to hit a pupil however they shouldn't be afraid of defending themselves if a kid acts violently towards. They should be able to defend themselves without the risk of getting into trouble.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.