Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils?
    No
    52.17%
    Yes
    41.30%
    Undecided
    6.52%

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not needed. Fines would be a good replacement though ^^

ReputationRep:
    No, a smack is not the only way a child can learn. Maybe it was the way you were brought up, but that doesn't mean it's the only way of successfully bringing a child up. Frankly, I think the fact that you can raise a child well without hitting them is more than reason enough not to hit them.

Of course teachers shouldn't be allowed to hit pupils, for one, it would be too easy for a teacher to take it too far and overstep the line and secondly, we should be trying to teach in schools that a violent response is not the answer. How could a teacher punish a child for hitting their classmate by hitting that child?

ReputationRep:
    You hit me and I'll hit you.

I'm sure that if this was allowed, then I'd expect there to be a LOT more classroom violence in more deprived areas where people generally take less crap than well off areas.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but only with rubber bullets ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Nope, not needed. Fines would be a good replacement though ^^
    Fines for whom? The kid who's misbehaving?

I don't think that hitting in schools would work, different teachers would take that to mean various degrees of force, or mis-judge whether it's a 'hittable offence'. I do think something needs to be done about 'the youth of today' though, they're getting worse. I think the whole condemning parents who smack thing is partly to blame though, parents seem almost scared to punish their children nowadays. I'd never have gotten away with a lot of the things kids get away with when I was their age, not that I'd have ever tried it, the few times I was smacked taught me not to behave like a pillock.

ReputationRep:
    yes...

ReputationRep:
    Fit all pupils with exploding neck collars that detonate if they truant off site or disobey a teacher. If the films are anything to go by it will make for fun entertainment for all.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not in schools, or if it was it would have to be carefully controlled ie. only for very serious offences, only with a specially approved strap / cane or something. Probably too hard to do effectively and without it being abused, tbh.. I don't have a problem with parents doing it within reason, though. I know the 'didn't do me any harm' thing is a simple explanation, but it's still true.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon they should because some kids plain ask for it.

ReputationRep:
    only if they use protection :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    No, but a teacher could always order another child to rough them up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    get big baseball bats and **** those pests!

ReputationRep:
    tw @

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zastrugi)
    Fines for whom? The kid who's misbehaving?
    yes.

I find it interesting how the people who agree with smacking are always the ones who have been hit as a child.
    Violence breeds violence :spank:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    yes.

I find it interesting how the people who agree with smacking are always the ones who have been hit as a child.
    Violence breeds violence :spank:
    No it's because those people,having experienced it and therefore know what they're talking about,know that it works.

Parents don't discipline their kids anymore so teachers need to.We've become a nation of cry babies with no discipline.

ReputationRep:
    Id hit it if it was hot.

ReputationRep:
    In school, they should be allowed to get a ruler and hit the palm of the offending students hand. They did this in my dad's old school. My dad said, it worked, no one wanted to misbehave in class.

ReputationRep:
    Most defo yes, with a paddle. Some kidsn can be very unruly and not even listen to a teacher when shouted at, or can be abusive to them or even physical.

ReputationRep:
    No. I do feel as though it should be easier to kick kids out of a school though. It happens, but not all too often, and they'd learn their lesson after being refused by all the local schools. If kids are kicked out of school, then they shouldn't be allowed certain benefits until they find permanent employment. Just put them in a real losing situation where they'll be stuck in life if they don't behave.

You can't say leave it to the parents though, as the parents obviously aren't doing such a great job as it is, circumstances accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, because it'd only be a matter of time before a teacher gets the **** beaten out of him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.