Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils?
    No
    52.17%
    Yes
    41.30%
    Undecided
    6.52%

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    No it's because those people,having experienced it and therefore know what they're talking about,know that it works.

Parents don't discipline their kids anymore so teachers need to.We've become a nation of cry babies with no discipline.
    It's definitely the case around here. The ones who aren't disciplined by parents and do as they please do more than annoy teachers; they disrupt other pupil's education. A few pupils have actually slapped teachers before, and the teachers were able to do little more than suspend them. :rolleyes:

Suspension, in my opinion, is what they want. They don't want to be at school! There needs to be something else that deters the bad behaviour but what ... I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody should ever be allowed to hit anybody.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be allowed to hit the children as it will deter them from misbehaving again.
    Run a trial period in which 20 awful schools are used. 10 of the schools get phyiscal punishment whilst the other 10 do not. Them compare disciplinary statsitics after a period of time say a year. From the results it will be possible to see whether or not physical punishment does work.

ReputationRep:
    Self defensive yes but hitting no.

If my kids were as rude and threatening as some for the reprobates I went to school with and I found out about it, school would be the least of their worries.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Shady05)
    Absolutely 100% No. Children should never be hit in the first place by their parents, let alone teachers. Thats just sick! I wouldnt want to send my child to school knowing that they could come home with bruises from taking a shot from a teacher!
    Why shouldn't parents spank children?

I was slapped as a child and I'm all the better for it, and if I have children I won't hesitate if they've been really naughty.

As for teachers; I reckon bring back the cane or birch rod (etc.) as it evens it out a bit. In my English class at secondary school my teacher spent all his time with the trouble maker, and I barely scraped through (I got a C in English Language) and if there had been a cane in the corner, I reckon he'd've shut up very quickly.

Incidentally I agree with Sarky. I am more scared of my parents than ANYTHING else. If I was arrested, I'd put myself in jail rather than face my parents. And that is exactly how it should be.

So spanking and caning should be brought back. Your parents and your teachers should be the people you are most afraid of as a child (parents more).

ReputationRep:
    I read this as 'Should teachers be able to hit pitbulls?'

ReputationRep:
    No. I think teacher's should earn pupils' respect, not fear. The best teachers are the 'matey' ones, who can subtley ridicule misbehavours. It's genius, I've seen it firsthand.

Yes i think it should be allowed detentions and the pathetic punishments that schools have do not work work no pupil really gives a toss about detention or been removed to another room its pathetic how people are so soft these days.

ReputationRep:
    No, never.

ReputationRep:
    No, but each student should have an electronic chip implanted into their brain, with the teacher having the controls for all the chips of all the students in his class, and if a child misbehaves he gives them a mild (or higher) electric shock to snap them back into focus.

There could even be a meter for the extremity of the electric shock, depending on how misbehaved they are. Here's an example:
    -Minor shock
    -Little prick
    -Muscle Spasm
    -Torture
    -Cardiac Arrest
    -Certain Death
    -Guantanamo Bay
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I read this as 'Should teachers be able to hit pitbulls?'
    :rofl: oh dear :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Schools should have teachers that are licenced to hit children, just as you get trained first-aiders, you can get trained punishers.

ReputationRep:
    Erm........no?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no. If you think violence towards children is the only method of discipline clearly we would be a backward and uncivilized society!

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided. Probably a "no" though.
    Not young children.
    Because they should be more free to develop their morals/discipline etc.
    but then when a child gets to around 13 - they should be grown up enough to think for themselves.
    But then some people just like the thrill of misbehaving, and breaking the rules.
    But others are just rude cu nts.
    And I think if children know they will be hit if they break the rules, they will be forced to act all normal and "boring" and not have the experience of making mistakes and learning from them, and when they grow up, they would be free from being punished, and take their freedom too far, and do something stupid, because they think they will get away with it.
    And then you have the teachers morals, and no self respecting teacher would hit a kid, especially one that isn't their own.
    Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbbb)
    Absolutely no. If you think violence towards children is the only method of discipline clearly we would be a backward and uncivilized society!
    Take a look at this http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2006/j...ine062006.html

It compares Japan and the US. It focuses on parental responsibilty

"children in the United States mention punishment or fear of punishment in regulating their behavior, and 90 percent of children in Japan did not mention that. Instead, in Japan there was a much greater focus on the impact of [students'] behavior on others, and not on themselves.

Whether or not [students] hit somebody or teased somebody or aggressed against another child, either verbally or physically, they were more concerned about how the other child would feel, rather than if they would get caught."

"Research shows that starting at an early age--even before Japanese children enter school--Japanese mothers, in particular, emphasize that you should not tease others or hit others, because it hurts them and not because you will get spanked or get a time-out. "

I read somewhere ages ago that parents in Britain thinks that's it's the police and the teachers responsibilty rather than the parents themselves to discipline their own kids. Sums up why everythings messed up really.

ReputationRep:
    If you hit pupils, what kind of message does that send? That violence is condoned in society and is an acceptable way of dealing with poor behaviour? Corporal punishment is a base and degrading way of punishing pupils when more sophisticated, humane techniques should be in place.

ReputationRep:
    I think the cane should be reintroduced, but actually physically hitting them, no.
    I think its stupid that teachers cant ever put their arms over a pupils shoulders or hug them to comfort them, thats ruddy ridiculous!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    a good hiding never did me any harm, and i've always thought that something like a can should be re-intorduced.

most of the kids at our school need a good beating most of the time.

Absolutely not. Not only do schools lack any reasonable form of standard of proof or due process, but even if they did, we don't use corporal punishment in the criminal justice system, so I don't see how it could be acceptable in educational discipline.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.