Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils?
    No
    52.17%
    Yes
    41.30%
    Undecided
    6.52%

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    If you hit pupils, what kind of message does that send? That violence is condoned in society and is an acceptable way of dealing with poor behaviour? Corporal punishment is a base and degrading way of punishing pupils when more sophisticated, humane techniques should be in place.
    its degrading, therefore it works. who wants to be degraded over and over again?

and the more sophisticated ways of punishment, hmm, sitting them in the corner/moving them into another room, that just makes you do less work, and you get it easy.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers need to be able to defend themselves. The amount of fights we've had when a teacher has been knocked out or given a black eye is ridiculous.

If the parents won't discipline their children then school is the next option. My parents never hit me but I know that if I cross them, I would need to start running for the hills pretty sharpish xD

Half the parents of the riff raff see school as a dumping ground anyway. They shouldn;t shirk their parental responsibilities really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Take a look at this http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2006/j...ine062006.html

It compares Japan and the US. It focuses on parental responsibilty

"children in the United States mention punishment or fear of punishment in regulating their behavior, and 90 percent of children in Japan did not mention that. Instead, in Japan there was a much greater focus on the impact of [students'] behavior on others, and not on themselves.

Whether or not [students] hit somebody or teased somebody or aggressed against another child, either verbally or physically, they were more concerned about how the other child would feel, rather than if they would get caught."

"Research shows that starting at an early age--even before Japanese children enter school--Japanese mothers, in particular, emphasize that you should not tease others or hit others, because it hurts them and not because you will get spanked or get a time-out. "

I read somewhere ages ago that parents in Britain thinks that's it's the police and the teachers responsibilty rather than the parents themselves to discipline their own kids. Sums up why everythings messed up really.
    wow that's actually really interesting!

ReputationRep:
    parents should definitely hit their kids... some tough love will make sure your little runt won't grow up to be a waste of space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    its degrading, therefore it works. who wants to be degraded over and over again?

and the more sophisticated ways of punishment, hmm, sitting them in the corner/moving them into another room, that just makes you do less work, and you get it easy.
    You think degrading a child is an acceptable and effective way of reforming her/his behaviour?
    Are we not aware now that if a child is raised in an environment where it is physically and emotionally abused it is more likely to go on to commit crime and become long term unemployed? We should concentrate on instilling within children a sense of morality and an awareness that violence is wrong. A teacher in a position of authority who hits a child is undermining this principle.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    You think degrading a child is an acceptable and effective way of reforming her/his behaviour?
    Are we not aware now that if a child is raised in an environment where it is physically and emotionally abused it is more likely to go on to commit crime and become long term unemployed? We should concentrate on instilling within children a sense of morality and an awareness that violence is wrong. A teacher in a position of authority who hits a child is undermining this principle.
    Nobody is suggesting the teachers beat the crap out of the kid. Rather like a parent would smack a child on the bum, it's hardly likely that there will be any lasting effect other than a couple of minutes of surprise and "".

Although teaching younger children now that violence is wrong would be a good thing, it's not going to do anything for those in secondary school who are already beyond learning anything of the sort. Some habits are hard to break :tongue:

Yes

ReputationRep:
    I reckon if it did happen the naughty 'hard' kids would see it as like a medal of how naughty they are. plus i would much rather be hit than have a 2hour long detention and I think alot of kids would see it as the easy way out :P

Plus some teachers would just abuse the right to hit pupils.

No.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a firm opinion on this.. but probably not. Mostly because there are teachers who would abuse this system.

Instead, troublemakers (and bullies) should be isolated and made to work really hard within the school or on the grounds in one-to-one lessons (8h/day) without ANY contact to their friends even in breaks etc.. Probably for at least a week. Every time they relapse, double the workload.

This should be done in such a way that it is possible for the child to come to terms with it so that s-he will not react with resentment but instead take the chance to change.. quite difficult to achieve I admit. The teachers/supervisors would have to be carefully selected (personality-wise) and specially trained.

+ They'll either get their priorities right or ask their parents to put them in a different school. Problem solved.

- Unfortunately, I'm not sure how one could "make" them work if they have lost all respect/there are no consequences they are afraid of.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

Other methods of punishment should be introduced though, writing lines and a detention sometimes just isn't enough.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    No ******* one should be allowed to hit each other, unless you're a member of Fight Club.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases, yes. It's just impossible to know where to draw the line and when it has been crossed

ReputationRep:
    I agree that somebody opinion of going to far wont match anybody elses. I dont agree that you should hit kids but I do agree that more dicpline needs to be brought in. I'm sure we all can remember a teacher that you to scare us because of how loud they shouted so I think teachers should be encouraged to shout more

ReputationRep:
    A question for those who teach (or those who are still at school actually):

In your experience, out of 100 students, how many are trouble-makers?

ReputationRep:
    Well I go to ****** comprehensive in which about 15% probably do any work. Save me!

ReputationRep:
    No - the line between what is acceptable discipline and what is punishable violence is too blurred.
    There are psychological implications for younger kids in particular. Also, as regards older pupils, how hard a hit are we talking about here? - it would take a fair bit of force to 'discipline' your typical school leaver

ReputationRep:
    No teachers should not be allowed to hit the pupils...its not their job to teach them to be respectful of others. Discipline should be taught by the parents....sadly it seems that these days it isnt happening. When I was at school ( quite a while ago now) the cane was a form of punishment and just by having that threat seemed to work. I"m not saying that there were"nt unruly kids in my class though, of course there were. It just appears that these days there are much more of them than when I was at school. I am a parent myself and as such my kids know when to listen to my husband and myself and do as they are told, if not then they are punished. I dont smack them but their dad does, not hard, just enough for them to understand that they are being disrespectful to us. My parents smacked me when needed too.

There has been a major breakdown of discipline in the younger generation ( not all of them just some) in the last 10 years or so and it makes me fearful if what society will be like once these younger people are adults themselves.

ReputationRep:
    No no no.
    As a child, I used to go to Mosque for islamic studies and the teachers there used to hit us if we did not learn the stuff correctly. I still remember to this day how traumatic it used to be for me to go there because I knew I was going to get a beating. This was when i was around 6 years old, and I used to not be able to sleep because I'd stay awake all night trying to learn everything. Once, one teacher went really far and my sister came home with red scars all done her back. Psychologically, I think it messed me up...

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. I can't be bothered to go into the details but some research I read a while back suggested that teachers hitting pupils had a significant psychological detriment to the pupils later in life in some cases and that's one of the reasons why they removed the cane.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe.

Hitting kids would stop them from misbehaving. I went to school in another country where techers hitting kids both with and without just their hands is legl, and our class was pretty well behaved.

But most teachers, especially the new ones in a school, just choose 2 or 3 people in the class who they constantly tell off, even if its not their fault. I dont think all teachers are responsible enough to be given the right to hit kids

maybe only the headteacher? so teachers can send people to the headteacher who has the right to decide if its fair to hit or not.

hitting kids in y7 and elow is a no though. year 8 is when it should start

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.