Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils?
    No
    52.17%
    Yes
    41.30%
    Undecided
    6.52%

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they meant to teach us that "violence is not the answer"? :rolleyes:
    When the pupils grow up, they'll probably think it's okay to hit anyone they like (as I think someone had pointed out above).

A humiliating non violent punishment is just as good.

Such as trailing a stray dog for a day and picking up its poo, or sweeping a spot repeatedly while people keep messing it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    What message though?
    I was severely abused as a child, and I'm against violence of any kind under any circumstance.
    Any future child of my own is going to get an upbringing free from that (some might consider it a 'hippy' upbringing), where they are free to do as they please, but taught from a very young age to be very aware of the consequences of their actions.
    It may not work, but I know that I'll be comfortable and happy about it.
    I'd rather the message that sank in to my child were:

'If I call Jimmy an ugly loser, it could upset him/affect his self-confidence' (increasing the explanation with age)

than:

'Hitting Jimmy = Pain for me. Must not hit Jimmy'.

If a message is going to sink in, it needs to be worth something. Pain and fear are NOT good ways of bringing up a child.

Saying that, I also disagree with the 'naughty step' rubbish. Parenting has to be active, and that's the problem. Sitting a child on a naughty step is equally as ineffective as hitting them, because they're being punished without explanation. The problem is that nobody has enough time for their child any more.
    I'm sorry that you had to endure that, I'm not condoning violence but there are times when a light smack is necessary to snap the kid out of it, because talking / reasoning isn't enough in that instance. Obviously I don't think that every misbehaviour warrants an instant whack, you need to know where the line is really.. I could literally count the amount of times I was smacked (not hard and certainly not hard enough to leave a mark/bruise) on both hands, and all of those times I deserved it. It didn't cause pain and I certainly didn't fear my parents, but I did learn that not listening or whatever may end up in a bit of a smack on the back of my leg. I guess I left out that my parents always told me why I shouldn't do X or Y afterwards, it wasn't just a smack then shouting or whatever, but I only got smacked as a last resort, as I said, to snap me out of it so I'd listen/learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boatsgoplaces)
    Aren't they meant to teach us that "violence is not the answer"? :rolleyes:
    When the pupils grow up, they'll probably think it's okay to hit anyone they like (as I think someone had pointed out above).
    That's odd because the amount of children today involved in crime seem to think it's OK to hit anyone they like and they weren't caned at school.

ReputationRep:
    If there T***s then yeah they need to be taught a lesson :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zastrugi)
    It didn't cause pain and I certainly didn't fear my parents, but I did learn that not listening or whatever may end up in a bit of a smack on the back of my leg. I guess I left out that my parents always told me why I shouldn't do X or Y afterwards, it wasn't just a smack then shouting or whatever, but I only got smacked as a last resort, as I said, to snap me out of it so I'd listen/learn.
    Obviously I don't know the experience of a 'light smack', and as I say certainly won't be using them on any future children of my own, but I am interested...if they caused no pain, and no fear, why were they a deterrent for you?

ReputationRep:
    schools are places of learning and if a teacher has to use violence to make sure that the class is learning then they should be allowed.

i've had my share of cocky eejits at school who'd learn a thing or two about life if the teachers come give them a smack!

ReputationRep:
    The cane should be re-introduced.It was used in the

50's,60's and it never did that generation any harm.I

hate to say this,but i think the British education

system is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    A question for those who teach (or those who are still at school actually):

In your experience, out of 100 students, how many are trouble-makers?
    In my 6th Form, about 1 student cause trouble in certain lessons.

Only if I can hit them back.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I don't know the experience of a 'light smack', and as I say certainly won't be using them on any future children of my own, but I am interested...if they caused no pain, and no fear, why were they a deterrent for you?
    It was a really rare occurrence for me to be smacked at all, so I knew that I'd been really bad if I'd been smacked. I think it was more of a psychological thing, I never liked being told off let alone smacked, I always wanted to be the good kid rather than the naughty one... It's kind of degrading as well, brings you down a few pegs so you want to avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zastrugi)
    It was a really rare occurrence for me to be smacked at all, so I knew that I'd been really bad if I'd been smacked. I think it was more of a psychological thing, I never liked being told off let alone smacked, I always wanted to be the good kid rather than the naughty one... It's kind of degrading as well, brings you down a few pegs so you want to avoid it.
    Would it not then be far less effective on kids who didn't care that they were being bad?

ReputationRep:
    Would it not then be far less effective on kids who didn't care that they were being bad?
    Well, my cousin was more like that and it still worked with him, although he did have to be smacked more often... The soft approach with him was completely ineffective though, smacking was the only real way to get through to him.

ReputationRep:
    The cane should be brought back, but teachers should be monitored so as to prevent unjust beatings and deliberate child abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    Don't be so shockingly stupid. This argument has been used by brainless liberals for decades...and where has it left us? In a loathsome culture of youth delinquency.

A teacher using restrained and reasonable corporal punishment does not in any way constitute 'emotional and physical' abuse in the nefarious sense in which you mean it. A quick, painful use of a cane for instance will hopefully demonstrate the error of a child's ways - it is also a way of using fear as a deterrent. Fear is used as a deterrent in our adult world as well - a fear of incarceration.
    The cane or slipper or whatever was used for years, including upon my father's generation, and there's no visible trauma in the older generations --- indeed, mental illness has actually risen in recent years.

People here who go to private schools cannot in any real way comment upon this issue (I don't know whether you did or not). They wont have experienced the trials many teachers undergo when faced with a class of thirty rowdy children, with perhaps four or five nasty, aggressive kids in their midst. Teachers are routinely bullied and intimidated. Bring back the cane, I say!
    I think using the cane is a brutal, base and uncivilised way of disciplining a child. I know that many pupils are unruly and place great strain on teachers but I remain convinced that there are better, more humane ways of solving the problem. Resorting to violence shows you are losing control, not maintaining it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    I think using the cane is a brutal, base and uncivilised way of disciplining a child. I know that many pupils are unruly and place great strain on teachers but I remain convinced that there are better, more humane ways of solving the problem. Resorting to violence shows you are losing control, not maintaining it.
    What would you suggest is used to keep control?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Teachers aren't allowed to hit pupils as it stands, and as we've seen recently, it can go wrong pretty quickly - a teacher nearly killing a pupil is definitely taking it too far...

I'm sure we're all familiar with kids that can't be controlled by anyone - not even their parents. Detentions... Do they really punish the pupil? It was considered to be a little annoying at my school, but nobody was really bothered. It didn't deter bad behaviour in the slightest. Some pupils seem to be really pushing their luck in schools today, and it was only a matter of time before a teacher snapped.

And it seems even these days that parents disciplining their child (smack on the bum or whatever) is frowned upon. Isn't this the only way the child is going to learn? When I was younger I knew that if I was being a little **** I would get a smack from my parents, and that encouraged me to behave.

The days of canes are obviously long gone, and that's probably a good thing too, but should teachers be allowed to hit pupils in order to discipline them if they misbehave? Some will inevitably argue that it could go too far (we've seen this recently, and I definitely don't agree with that sort of violence) and others will argue it's a good idea.

I personally feel that some sort of discipline needs to be brought upon troublemakers in schools - within reason. I'm not suggesting every teacher should be allowed to beat up the pupils, but there needs to be some sort of discipline - much stronger than a detention or suspension from school. Surely if the pupils knew if they misbehaved they would be punished, it would deter them from behaving badly? I'm sure many of us were smacked by our parents as children, and it worked - we wouldn't misbehave! On the other hand, I do feel as though some teachers could abuse such actions should they be allowed to occur within schools, or pupils deliberately misbehaving to push the teachers to the limit - resulting in the story we've seen recently. :dontknow: It's a tricky one.

What do the users of TSR think?
    I think that something does need to be done because if all kids are anything like the ones at my old school, then we are gonna have a world full of obnoxious thugs to deal with.

I don't know if hitting is the answer, because kids these days are likely to hit back. And harder. Plus parents would be going mental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    What would you suggest is used to keep control?
    Keeping lessons lively and interesting and suitable (if streamed) for the pupils' ability. If a pupil misbehaves in a less serious manner the teacher should tell them off and/or set a detention. If the pupil misbehaves in a very serious manner, a separate authority should be involved (at my school we have specially trained people at 'Welfare and Guidance' to deal with punishments).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    I think that something does need to be done because if all kids are anything like the ones at my old school, then we are gonna have a world full of obnoxious thugs to deal with.

I don't know if hitting is the answer, because kids these days are likely to hit back. And harder. Plus parents would be going mental.
    That doesn't overly make sense. They're more likely to hit back because if we introduced caning, it would be because of a lack of decent discipline. therefore, them "hitting back" may just be due to the lack of discipline prior to the reintroduction of caning, which would soon be eradicated when children got caned.

That seems badly written. Basically.. the kids would stop hitting back when they kept getting caned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Keeping lessons lively and interesting and suitable (if streamed) for the pupils' ability. If a pupil misbehaves in a less serious manner the teacher should tell them off and/or set a detention. If the pupil misbehaves in a very serious manner, a separate authority should be involved (at my school we have specially trained people at 'Welfare and Guidance' to deal with punishments).
    Yeah, that'll totally keep the future mass murderers out of trouble. Interesting lessons...

Telling off? That's exactly what happens at the moment, and children don't care because it doesn't scare them at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Yeah, that'll totally keep the future mass murderers out of trouble. Interesting lessons...

Telling off? That's exactly what happens at the moment, and children don't care because it doesn't scare them at all.
    Usually future mass murders tend to be the quieter, more withdrawn members of the classroom.

And the prospect of a telling off used to scare me :puppyeyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.