Turn on thread page Beta

Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils? watch

• View Poll Results: Should teachers be allowed to hit pupils?
    No
    52.17%
    Yes
    41.30%
    Undecided
    6.52%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    If you hit pupils, what kind of message does that send? That violence is condoned in society and is an acceptable way of dealing with poor behaviour? Corporal punishment is a base and degrading way of punishing pupils when more sophisticated, humane techniques should be in place.
    yep i totally agree with you well said. and bonus points for living in the same town as me :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    yep i totally agree with you well said. and bonus points for living in the same town as me :woo:
    Wooo Tonbridge! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Wooo Tonbridge! :woo:
    yepp woop :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    That doesn't overly make sense. They're more likely to hit back because if we introduced caning, it would be because of a lack of decent discipline. therefore, them "hitting back" may just be due to the lack of discipline prior to the reintroduction of caning, which would soon be eradicated when children got caned.

That seems badly written. Basically.. the kids would stop hitting back when they kept getting caned.
    Well considering I had to read yours 3 times to grasp what you are talking about, I would say that yours is also quite badly written.

Anyway, our opinions on whether teachers should be allowed to hit pupils will not change the fact that it will never be allowed to happen. If even parents can't smack children when they misbehave, then schools aren't going to get permission are they?

ReputationRep:
    If you gave me an implement and said "inflict pain on that child", I would say no. Any teacher who would do it is either in the profession for the wrong reason or taking the child's behaviour too personally.

ReputationRep:
    Usually future mass murders tend to be the quieter, more withdrawn members of the classroom.

And the prospect of a telling off used to scare me :puppyeyes:

Yeah see, that's sort of the point. It scares you, but probably doesn't scare the truly badly behaved pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    Well considering I had to read yours 3 times to grasp what you are talking about, I would say that yours is also quite badly written.

Anyway, our opinions on whether teachers should be allowed to hit pupils will not change the fact that it will never be allowed to happen. If even parents can't smack children when they misbehave, then schools aren't going to get permission are they?

Lol I was talking about my own post when I said it was badly written. Which is why I quickly summarised it in a few words at the very end.

Well the fact remains that your argument wasn't great. "Pupils would hit back" - the fact that pupils would consider hitting back now would be the whole reason for introducing caning - to clamp down on bad behaviour.

But yes, it would never be allowed to happen.

ReputationRep:
    No ******* one should be allowed to hit each other, unless you're a member of Fight Club
    I wish there were fight clubs

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.