Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have you/do you know anyone who has applied to do this? Coz I'm interested in doing it but the website doesn't really divulge much about application requirements or procedures. How popular is it? Do you need like, a starred first and a million internships to get on it?!
    Any help you could give me would be great!!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    I overheard some students saying that they're only accepting people with 2:1 or higher this year, due to higher application numbers. Or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl who got onto it with a 2:2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ace_banana)
    I know a girl who got onto it with a 2:2.
    Rather useless if they've tightened entry for this year...

ReputationRep:
    I heard that colleges (as opposed to the Management Tripos faculty itself) were not too keen on students doing it (as a 4th year option) since it means they have to take one less fresher that year to accommodate you... not sure if it's true, though.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    I heard that colleges (as opposed to the Management Tripos faculty itself) were not too keen on students doing it (as a 4th year option) since it means they have to take one less fresher that year to accommodate you... not sure if it's true, though.....
    If it were true it would vary according to the college. Peterhouse, for instance, doesn't have a fixed yearly intake. My year is about 65 and the year beneath me something like 83.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    If it were true it would vary according to the college. Peterhouse, for instance, doesn't have a fixed yearly intake. My year is about 65 and the year beneath me something like 83.
    AFAIK no colleges have a fixed yearly intake. However, all colleges are restricted in the numbers they can take based on accommodation availability, so the numbers taken in previous years will need to be balanced against the numbers that can be accepted in the current year. Students staying on for an extra year to do MST will take up an extra space which could have gone to a fresher.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK no colleges have a fixed yearly intake. However, all colleges are restricted in the numbers they can take based on accommodation availability, so the numbers taken in previous years will need to be balanced against the numbers that can be accepted in the current year. Students staying on for an extra year to do MST will take up an extra space which could have gone to a fresher.
    Yes, but we have spare accommodation. In practice they don't ever take in so many people that all the rooms are used, so for us it wouldn't pose a problem. Also I guess there's nothing to prevent them telling the person to find their own accommodation in the 4th year. Just depends on the college.

ReputationRep:
    Our fourth year Natscis don't get accomodation. Muahahahahahahhaa. :hahaha:

(I'm not really as evil as I seem from this post)

ReputationRep:
    :s

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but we have spare accommodation. In practice they don't ever take in so many people that all the rooms are used, so for us it wouldn't pose a problem. Also I guess there's nothing to prevent them telling the person to find their own accommodation in the 4th year. Just depends on the college.
    Fair enough. Funny how Cambridge (as a whole) always goes on about how there are "more excellent applicants than we have room for" when some colleges are leaving rooms unoccupied and have space for more students.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Funny how Cambridge (as a whole) always goes on about how there are "more excellent applicants than we have room for" when some colleges are leaving rooms unoccupied and have space for more students.
    Peterhouse is an odd one. But I wouldn't say its turning away good people unecessarily. For instance in SPS they had applications coming in but didn't take anybody for six cycles before me and my college brother, and they said that we were unusually good at interview and everybody over the last six years had been rubbish :dontknow:
    Also I know lots of Petreans who were admitted on fairly easy terms as far as offers go. More than you'd expect.

Maybe they like leaving space for the visiting students, which we do get a few of.

ReputationRep:
    Rather useless if they've tightened entry for this year...
    Her place is for this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ace_banana)
    Her place is for this year.
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend in management who said this year you needed a 67 to get in, but that obviously conflicts with your friend who got a 2.1...

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys! i'm guessing since they make the decision at the end of third year it's based mostly on your third year grade? i got a 2.1 this year but i'm anticipating next year's grade to be a bit better, even if it is just a higher 2.1, based on the papers i'm taking...! i actually know a guy who's applied to switch to the management tripos for 3rd year, he got a 2.2 in 1st year and a 2.1 in 2nd year but i don't know if he's been accepted or not.

Edit: found out he didn't get in because of his first year grade! He's applying again next year though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Améthyste)
    ok thanks guys! i'm guessing since they make the decision at the end of third year it's based mostly on your third year grade? i got a 2.1 this year but i'm anticipating next year's grade to be a bit better, even if it is just a higher 2.1, based on the papers i'm taking...! i actually know a guy who's applied to switch to the management tripos for 3rd year, he got a 2.2 in 1st year and a 2.1 in 2nd year but i don't know if he's been accepted or not.
    i was under the impression more people switch after the 2nd year.

if you want to do a masters in management, cambridge isn't really the best place to do it. if you want to get out of your finals in your original subject for whatever reason, management is a sensible option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    i was under the impression more people switch after the 2nd year.

if you want to do a masters in management, cambridge isn't really the best place to do it. if you want to get out of your finals in your original subject for whatever reason, management is a sensible option.

yeh i think more people do switch after 2nd year, but it is also possible to do it after 3rd year. i'm doing music at the moment and i love it so there's no way i'd give up a year in music for a year in management, but since i want to go into arts admin it would be useful to have done some kind of management course. although i know it's not essential, it would put me above someone with a similar cv but with just an arts degree. also it's highly unlikely i'd be able to find a job in a year given the current economic climate so hopefully in two years time the situation will have got better and there may be more jobs available. as for doing it in cambridge and not somewhere else, it's just easier to stay in the same place!! but i probably will end up applying to other places as well...so which places are better than cambridge for management in your opinion then?? xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.