Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very worried about my brother's uni exam results Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought that your brother may not be happy doing the course that he's doing?

Personally, I'd let him take a gap year. He could opt to do some volunteering and look for work at the same time. He may have been slightly disillusioned with having to take a foundation year instead of going straight in and has therefore, 'rebelled' to a certain extent.

He's an adult, let him make his own mistakes and offer him support when he needs it

ReputationRep:
    Let him leave uni - it doesn't sound like it's the right place for him. People can change an awful lot in a year and you need to stop worrying about where his life is going.

When I 'screwed up' uni my sister refused to talk to me for a month, now I've figured out what I want to do and have got my life on a better track and I'm so glad I left uni. You can not - and more importantly - should not force him to do something he doesn't want to do or guilt trip him.

ReputationRep:
    University isnt for everyone.
    If he doesnt want to be there, and has no interest maybe he is better off getting a job- atleast until hes in a frame of mind where he WANTS to carry on with the degree and do well.

Better he take a year (or more) out and return to complete his degree ready to work, and coming out of it with a good degree classification, than competing the degree just to please his family, when he isnt really interested and coming out with a bare minimum pass.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is ancient

ReputationRep:
    I'd question why he bothered starting a degree in the first place, because by the sound of it he clearly has no interest in physics. Otherwise he would've worked harder throughout the year, as it's much easier to do something you have a passion for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.