Turn on thread page Beta

Very worried about my brother's uni exam results watch


    Have you thought that your brother may not be happy doing the course that he's doing?

    Personally, I'd let him take a gap year. He could opt to do some volunteering and look for work at the same time. He may have been slightly disillusioned with having to take a foundation year instead of going straight in and has therefore, 'rebelled' to a certain extent.

    He's an adult, let him make his own mistakes and offer him support when he needs it

    Let him leave uni - it doesn't sound like it's the right place for him. People can change an awful lot in a year and you need to stop worrying about where his life is going.

    When I 'screwed up' uni my sister refused to talk to me for a month, now I've figured out what I want to do and have got my life on a better track and I'm so glad I left uni. You can not - and more importantly - should not force him to do something he doesn't want to do or guilt trip him.

    University isnt for everyone.
    If he doesnt want to be there, and has no interest maybe he is better off getting a job- atleast until hes in a frame of mind where he WANTS to carry on with the degree and do well.

    Better he take a year (or more) out and return to complete his degree ready to work, and coming out of it with a good degree classification, than competing the degree just to please his family, when he isnt really interested and coming out with a bare minimum pass.

    This thread is ancient

    I'd question why he bothered starting a degree in the first place, because by the sound of it he clearly has no interest in physics. Otherwise he would've worked harder throughout the year, as it's much easier to do something you have a passion for.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.