Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who thinks this phrase is somewhat ironic?

For instance, people often say exams were tougher 'back in the good old days'. And that exams are getting easier/children getting dumber with TV etc...

If this is the case, then why are many of the older generations who are in charge of curriculums/education, not maintaining the supposed standards, if they themselves were better educated in order to do so like their predecessors?

Also, the child getting beaten by the teacher recently made me think... 'back in the good old days' discipline was maintained with a whip. If this was so good for maintaining discipline, then why are those victims of the whip producing offspring that is supposedly out of control?

It seems to me that every generation frowns upon the younger generation for their general behaviour/lifestyle, and looks back to when they themselves were younger for the supposed right way of living.

/rant.

People look back on life with rose-tinted glasses. We like to think times were better/simpler back then.

My childhood wasn't nearly as perfect as I sometimes think it is. But it did seem simpler than it is now. I'm probbaly not even talking about what you wanted me to talk about. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree.
    Plus, good old days = homosexuality illegalised, racism everywhere, beatings for children, shoddy NHS, worse technology, lower life expectancy and the Cold War.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta_Aitch)
    People look back on life with rose-tinted glasses. We like to think times were better/simpler back then.

My childhood wasn't nearly as perfect as I sometimes think it is. But it did seem simpler than it is now. I'm probbaly not even talking about what you wanted me to talk about. :laugh:
    Haha the first bit was relevant but not sure about the second bit! But in answer to OP's question, people are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Its because most people can't cope with change - for reasons I've never understood.
    So now things are different there not as good.

ReputationRep:
    I think being able to use that phrase is a privilege of being old, one that I intend to take full advantage of even if it is ironic.

ReputationRep:
    Good responses so far

Yeah, I have also noticed people hate change. Even if the change has more benefits than disadvantages.

I normally like listening to the wisdom of older generations, many of their anecdotes are fascinating, and you can learn from their mistakes in life, but I get frustrated as soon as the phrase 'back in the good old days' is said. Ok, maybe the food and air was purer, but that's about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Best Served Chilled)
    Ok, maybe the food and air was purer, but that's about it!
    There's many more factors which were better back then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    There's many more factors which were better back then.
    Such as?

But do you agree with my main points about education and discipline?

ReputationRep:
    in the good old days, we were apes. yay

ReputationRep:
    Such as?

But do you agree with my main points about education and discipline?
    - Less crime (especially gun and knife) and was generally punished more severely
    - Sense of community
    - Higher emphasis on respect and politeness
    - Discipline
    - Pride in one's country
    - Less immigration, which means less of the social division and issues with Islamic fundamentalism, which we are seeing today
    - Christianity was taken more seriously (whether you see that as a good or bad thing is subjective)
    - Larger families and higher family ties (less divorce)

I could go on.

Of course there were negatives (as there are with most points in time), but you asked me for the positives.

ReputationRep:
    - Less crime (especially gun and knife) and was generally punished more severely
    - Sense of community
    - Higher emphasis on respect and politeness
    - Discipline
    - Pride in one's country
    - Less immigration, which means less of the social division and issues with Islamic fundamentalism, which we are seeing today
    - Christianity was taken more seriously (whether you see that as a good or bad thing is subjective)
    - Larger families and higher family ties (less divorce)

I could go on.

Of course there were negatives (as there are with most points in time), but you asked me for the positives.
    Erm, did you read my OP?!

Less immigration? I'm pretty sure the Irish were proportionally greater in size in terms of immigration 'back in the good old days' than any other nationality is these days.

Why are you bringing religion and marriage into this? Someone's already established that same-sex marriage was banned until recently.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, did you read my OP?!
    You made the statement: 'I get frustrated as soon as the phrase 'back in the good old days' is said. Ok, maybe the food and air was purer, but that's about it!', I responded with my disagreement, you asked for examples and I provided some to you.

Less immigration? I'm pretty sure the Irish were proportionally greater in size in terms of immigration 'back in the good old days' than any other nationality is these days.
    I think integration and division is the key difference here.

Why are you bringing religion and marriage into this? Someone's already established that same-sex marriage was banned until recently.
    You asked me for the positives in the 'good old days' and I provided some to you.

ReputationRep:
    Older people probably have better memories of 'the good old days' because they were young then and thats supposed to be the best years of you're life, compared to now when its probable these people have crappy jobs and monotonous lifestyle atm. This coupled with the fact that the media normally **** off youths today, makes them think the world was a better place when they were enjoying themselves most. Probably less about actual quality of life etc, but more about how people perceive modern life and their state of mind, imo.

ReputationRep:
    If this is the case, then why are many of the older generations who are in charge of curriculums/education, not maintaining the supposed standards, if they themselves were better educated in order to do so like their predecessors?
    The world changed due to powers outwith their control.

Also, the child getting beaten by the teacher recently made me think... 'back in the good old days' discipline was maintained with a whip. If this was so good for maintaining discipline, then why are those victims of the whip producing offspring that is supposedly out of control?
    Er, I don't think caning was ever held to promote a good style of parenting. Even so, countless generations before that generation were caned and went on to produce half-decent offspring.

It seems to me that every generation frowns upon the younger generation for their general behaviour/lifestyle, and looks back to when they themselves were younger for the supposed right way of living.
    Equally so, the shape of this country and our lifestyles have changed incredibly over the last 50 years. Back before the Industrial Revolution, one could assume that one's children would live in a fairly similar world to the one of the previous generation. That's gone entirely out the window. As such moral standards will change - and quite possibly not for the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invert)
    Totally agree.
    Plus, good old days = homosexuality illegalised, racism everywhere, beatings for children, shoddy NHS, worse technology, lower life expectancy and the Cold War.
    Yet still those things didn't matter a great deal to most people. A lower life expectancy was accepted - indeed, it was quite handy in a way. There were few people to be racist towards, and homosexuality was fairly underground.

Whilst I agree it is positive the some of those changes have been made (save for the NHS, I'd abolish it) I still believe that the general quality of life has sunk for a lot of people in a great many ways. Even just going by TSR - not exactly a precise barometer of public opinion - people are generally not satisfied with this country, and above all they're certainly not proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    You asked me for the positives in the 'good old days' and I provided some to you.
    Granted, there are a fair few positives. (Although I disagree with you about the immigration and marriage ideas you put forward)

Do you not agree with any of my OP?

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Dra O Briain:

'Nostalgia is heroin for old people. Just because you were younger and getting laid more often, doesn't mean the world was a better place.'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.