Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American and I'm attending a wedding in Britain when I come over for uni this Fall....and I'm a little confused about what to wear. At home, we pick out one dress to wear and we're sorted. But I've heard that there, you wear something more casual and conservative to the church, usually with one of these silly hats or fascinators, and then a cocktail dress to the reception at night. Is that true? If so, is this appropriate for the church?

With this, I was thinking, to make it a bit dressier:

Would this appropriate? Thrown in with some killer patent stilettos?

ReputationRep:
    the dress is amazing :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christinaxx)
    I'm an American and I'm attending a wedding in Britain when I come over for uni this Fall....and I'm a little confused about what to wear. At home, we pick out one dress to wear and we're sorted. But I've heard that there, you wear something more casual and conservative to the church, usually with one of these silly hats or fascinators, and then a cocktail dress to the reception at night. Is that true? If so, is this appropriate for the church?

With this, I was thinking, to make it a bit dressier:

Would this appropriate? Thrown in with some killer patent stilettos?
    That is fine you can wear it to both the wedding and the reception.

P.S. where is the dress from? It's really nice!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need two outfits - what you've got will be fine for both the wedding and the reception. Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    The one dress is fine for both wedding and reception, though you might want to take the hat thing off for the reception.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly suitable. I think you're going to look great.

ReputationRep:
    I think that dress is really nice and would be fine for both the church and the reception.

ReputationRep:
    That is a gorgeous dress, and absolutely fine for church and reception. Have fun

ReputationRep:
    A hat? Not so much. That dress is a little posh. At weddings you can pretty much wear anything you like (bar jeans and mini skirts).

ReputationRep:
    You could get away without the hat thing if you want.
    And I love that dress!!

ReputationRep:
    We don't do the hats in America, so I feel like I'm playing dress-up...at first I thought it was a bit silly but I warmed to the idea pretty fast. :P And the dress is from www.modcloth.com - I love their stuff so much!

ReputationRep:
    Wearing a hat to a wedding isnt essential. The last wedding I went to I was the only one wearing a hat and it was a posh wedding. The dress will be fine for both the church service and the reception.

ReputationRep:
    The hat definitely isn't a necessary item.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.