Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain what they are please, according to Wikipedia Warwick has an endowment of £5.3 million while Cambridge has an endowment of £4.1 billion. Why is the gap so large? I mean most universities have endowments the size of ours, why is Cambridge so large?

ReputationRep:
    Whoop! Warwick was my dad's uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    Can someone explain what they are please, according to Wikipedia Warwick has an endowment of £5.3 million while Cambridge has an endowment of £4.1 billion. Why is the gap so large? I mean most universities have endowments the size of ours, why is Cambridge so large?
    Cambridge is considerably older than Warwick. Endowments are basically monies and property that are given to the university as a donation. It then accumulates into a pot to be invested in the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Whoop! Warwick was my dad's uni :p:
    "Whoop!" I used to work 5 minutes from Warwick Uni! :rolleyes:

So? Relevance?

ReputationRep:
    I understand! That makes sense as well, I didn't think of it as being something that would accumulate over time.

Thanks Mad Vlad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    "Whoop!" I used to work 5 minutes from Warwick Uni! :rolleyes:

So? Relevance?
    Meh. I guess

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Meh. I guess

:woo:
    Whoop! Whoop! I live half an hour away from there!!

Not that there is any relevance to this...

Ontopic: Anyway, doesn't endowment also include money coming in from the county council?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Whoop! Whoop! I live half an hour away from there!!

Not that there is any relevance to this...
    For you: :woo:

Yeah... well I live in Reading all my life, near the uni by about a hour though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It then accumulates into a pot to be invested in the university.
    A minor point, but endowments tend not to be invested in the universities themselves. Typically they're invested elsewhere, and the profit from these investments are then partially reinvested, and partially used as an income to be spent on the university. The quoted figure for Cambridge isn't the amount of money invested in the university, but the value of their investments elsewhere. Not many universities receive more than two or three per cent of their income from the profits of endowments - Cambridge makes about 6%.

The vast disparity between the the endowments of Oxford and Cambridge and elsewhere in the UK do owe a fair bit to the former two institution's age, but that's not the whole story. A majority of much younger universities in the U.S. have significantly larger endowments than universities of a similar age here. At the end of the day, it all comes down to who can generate the most investment and donations from outside sources.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford University = The Richest University in the UK.

They far surpass Cambridge’s endowment; if you thought £5.1billion was bad, Oxford has an endowment in excess of £5.5billion :rolleyes:

As to why other universities have a smaller endowment, Oxford is the biggest brand-name in the UK if not the world. It also produces some of the most successful people – I read in the paper last year some guy donated to Oxford's endowment $50million (yes in one go) which broke UK university records for a single donation of its kind. Others are catching up, such as London universities like LSE and UCL, although nowhere like a figure close to £5.5billion as with Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Another minor point- Oxford has the biggest university endowment, of about £600 million. The other several billion is the individual college's endowment, and Cambridge's figure is slightly bigger. Edinburgh, Manchester and Glasgow make up the rest of the top five, and they're all dwarfed, having between 120m-200m ish.

ReputationRep:
    When a uni is well endowed it means that their junk is big...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSE101.)
    Oxford University = The Richest University in the UK.

They far surpass Cambridge’s endowment; if you thought £5.1billion was bad, Oxford has an endowment in excess of £5.5billion :rolleyes:

As to why other universities have a smaller endowment, Oxford is the biggest brand-name in the UK if not the world. It also produces some of the most successful people – I read in the paper last year some guy donated to Oxford's endowment $50million (yes in one go) which broke UK university records for a single donation of its kind. Others are catching up, such as London universities like LSE and UCL, although nowhere like a figure close to £5.5billion as with Oxford.
    source on this please.

ReputationRep:
    source on this please.
    Just go onto Oxford's Endowment Fund Page and within the FAQ section, there is a question asking what the size of the total endowment fund is, and the answer given is in excess of £5.5billion.

I have no idea were Cambridge's total endowment equalling £5.1billion is sourced from, but assuming it to be true, it is still much smaller than Oxford's endowment.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that much smaller...

ReputationRep:
    A large chunk of Cambridge's total I believe belongs to Trinity College. [Over a billion?] It's by far the richest Oxbridge college, at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    US universities have the biggest endowments in the world.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    A large chunk of Cambridge's total I believe belongs to Trinity College. [Over a billion?] It's by far the richest Oxbridge college, at any rate.
    It's not over a billion (about 0.6 billion I think), but yes, Trinity is the richest college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    It's not over a billion (about 0.6 billion I think), but yes, Trinity is the richest college.
    to be fair, it is 3.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    to be fair, it is 3.
    Hmm?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.