Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

feeling pretty confused, so thought maybe ill find some good advice

i applied to 2 masters in management, cass, and icbs, for the great programs, i made it clear i wont get a 2:1, coz of the bad yr 2 marks, even though i worked really hard this year. my applications included solid extenuating circumstance, i got the offers from both unis for a 2:1. now marks came out; i got a 2:2, and the uni i confirmed rejects me, my first degree is in engineering, but i want to work in business.

im thinking at this point, maybe the smartest thing to do is get as best a job as possible with what i've got, and maybe that'll impress these 2 unis.. reapply next year. instead of wasting time and money on a course i wont enjoy, then again, will reapplying yield a rejection? even with 2 extenuating circumstances now, is minimum 2:1 "written in stone" so to speak.

THanks in advance for ur help

ReputationRep:
    ??? Makes no sense...

ReputationRep:
    Work experience MIGHT offset some of the damage done by your u/grad results, but it's best to seek advice from people who actually make these decisions ie. email the people responsible for the programme you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    me not understand what the OP is trying to convey lol

ReputationRep:
    Aston will consider 2:2. It's business school got rated 3rd in UK for MSc

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a rubric somewhere for practically oriented courses going something like 2 years relevant work experience per grade beneath par.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrManager)
    Hey all,

feeling pretty confused, so thought maybe ill find some good advice

i applied to 2 masters in management, cass, and icbs, for the great programs, i made it clear i wont get a 2:1, coz of the bad yr 2 marks, even though i worked really hard this year. my applications included solid extenuating circumstance, i got the offers from both unis for a 2:1. now marks came out; i got a 2:2, and the uni i confirmed rejects me, my first degree is in engineering, but i want to work in business.

im thinking at this point, maybe the smartest thing to do is get as best a job as possible with what i've got, and maybe that'll impress these 2 unis.. reapply next year. instead of wasting time and money on a course i wont enjoy, then again, will reapplying yield a rejection? even with 2 extenuating circumstances now, is minimum 2:1 "written in stone" so to speak.

THanks in advance for ur help
    Follow your heart, MrManager. But not too much; you have to add some brain power in there to say the least.

I agree with achard. Try to contact people that have actually been through such a situation. They're your best bets. Experience brings knowledge. Asking TSR members just may result in a lot of randomness, at least from most of us :grin:

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    great points of view, thanks achard, smtn, dsch, hunni, you were very helpful

smtn, are u at aston? what do u make of the teaching/program? and the prospects/career help and graduate destinations?

ReputationRep:
    Umm i am new here but i got into a Computer Science MSc @ York with a 2:2 degree . Granted that i have 3 years work experience under my belt inclusive of some notable management experience. My advice to you will be to find a good job, dig in for about 2 years, stay focused on your goal of getting into a postgrad course (this is really important - careers tend to take over lives) and apply. Chances are that you will get in. You will want to keep a tracker of any notable tasks you do on the job - these are priceless in postgrad interviews and personal statements. Additionally, taking some time to work before going on to do your masters may work out in your favour. You may discover new academic interests and decide to pursue those instead. i wont advise you to lower your standards because you made a 2:2. I think what you may well do is rethink your approach. It may take a bit longer but in the next 5 - 6 years once you play your cards right you will be smiling.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on getting the Msc OsWood! cheers for ur post appreciated!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.